Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,393 Posts
Before it arives nip into repco and grab yourself an add a fuse..
Will make fitting a breeze and safer. (y)

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,027 Posts
A lot of engines, ZD's included (not sure a out TD's) have a water to oil heat exchanger, normally close to the oil filter. It's often referred to as an oil cooler, but it actually works both ways. It also heats the oil during start up to get the oil up to operating temp as quickly as possible.

There was another thread a while ago about whether it's bad for an engine to sit and idle for an extended period before driving off first thing in the morning. For the same reasons explained there an overly effective coolant system that prevents an engine from reaching its normal operating temp will increase engine wear over an extended period.

·
Registered
--- 1989 GQ SWB --- --- 1995 GQ UTE ---
20 Posts
Just go with a standard thermostat which I believe is 76.5°. Also pays to check it actually operates nicely in hot water before installing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dont rely on the factory gauge too much they are known to have a broad range especially in older cars. Use one of the other methods mentioned earlier. My TD42ti water temp sits on about 76-77° around town. I use a pro-comp gauge. Also, there's a misconception that high flow is always better. Water or coolant needs to circulate at a certain rate to allow time to cool in the radiator to the correct temp

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cheers guys very helpful input from all, when i fitted the high flow thermostat it made a big impact on cooling but what i didnt relise is how bad a condition my rad was untill i actually replaced it last week, plus also i removed my ac from vehicle same time i did thermostat, condenser went which allows more air to rad,

45/70 idea is logical engine guard in then when accurate data is on hand if its a matter of removing high flow and fitting standard than its easy.

But its good to be talking about a patrol not overheating for once hey lol 🤭🤭

·
Registered
1989 GQ patrol wagon
20 Posts
Hi GQ bush man, I have an 89 gq td42 na. Like you I replaced water pump, radiator and Hi flow thermostat. My factory temp gauge goes up and down with each degree. I can even watch it drop a few degrees when the thermostat opens. My temp gauge seems much different from later model gq's that have a broad temp range and don't move around much. My temp gauge sounds very much like yours in terms of temperature, my everyday driving is probably a hair warmer on the guage. I would say +1 for the infrared temp gauge gun like posted on page 1 of your replies. I have one and 1/3 on my temp gauge registers 84 degrees pointing the infrared gun at the thermostat housing.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
have one and 1/3 on my temp gauge registers 84 degrees pointing the infrared gun at the thermostat housing.
Thats great mate so that solidifying that happy number of around the 90c mark.
Thanx for your input mate.

·
Registered
1989 GQ patrol wagon
20 Posts
Thats great mate so that solidifying that happy number of around the 90c mark.
Thanx for your input mate.
Yeah, I think the infrared gun measured 93 degrees at the thermostat housing when the guage reached halfway. Its always a bit nerving watching the temp gauge bounce from 1/3 (84degrees) to 1/2 (93 degrees) so quickly, especially for me towing the caravan up and down hills - there's a lot in Tasmania!
Overall I'm not too worried as temps are all within spec. Someone said one of the signs of a healthy cooling system is how quickly it recovers after getting hot, going from a 3 core alluminium radiator back to a 2 core brass radiator did improve recovery rates as I was getting more airflow through it. The bigger alluminium radiator did run a couple degrees cooler though.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My problem is i dont see that temp guage move up to half like before rad was replaced, i opted to stay with standard 2 core copper brass. In the past before cleaning my old rad and removing my ac condenser i was experiencing temps above half way once the old girl is under load on that same hill i drive daily, but like you say it quickly recovered as i rolled down hill. But since rad thermostat and WP temp will not move as i climb that same hill and really boot it.

·
18,393 Posts
Did you get your engine guard yet Bushy??

·
18,393 Posts
They are super quick to send and fit.. (y)

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
They are super quick to send and fit.. (y)
Will need to find the time to do it once it gets here, been so buisy on the property these days starting fire breaks early so we can move to more pressing jobs🙄 we will get there tho👍

·
Registered
nissan
1,896 Posts
Never in a million years did i think i would be asking if its running too cool but yeah in all the years of owning ive had the temp gauge go up and down it still does but its alot diffrent i think the combination of new WP rad, fan hub and high flow thermostat made a big impact, so ill fir the engine guard and then ill post some numbers at a later date.
Cheers for all the great advice again guys.
You may have solved the age old problem of TD's running hot put a patient on it there's your million dollar idea we all hope to come up with once in a lifetime early retirement on the cards haha good on ya.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What will that temp be for a stock TD42 🤔?
My TD42 with a mild tune temps are...Coolant approx 80 to 90 (redarc gauge) depending on load and ambient....My Engine Guard is on thermostat housing bolt, my Block temps are always 10 degree Below coolant temp, i have my alarm set at 90 deg , so when it goes off my coolant is at 100, works perfectly. i Love my engineguard, you cant not hear the alarm.

·
Registered
‘97 GQ TD42 Wagon n/a....Turbo coming 🦾
91 Posts
I thought I would never see this thread either! Funny enough I have been wondering the same thing. Mine is a 97 GQ TD42 (GU turbo HT18 installed since last May) and has standard radiator but new 82.5 C thermostat & new standard WP. I have an engine guardian fitted to top of thermostat cover. The most significant change I’ve noticed is since I added 3/4 a bottle Of silicon oil to standard viscous hub it dropped like 4C. It runs around town/freeway WA (loses with tools etc) at the moment 66- 70 (engine guardian) 1/4 factory gauge, which I am starting to think is too cool & stoked this post came up. Now I’m thinking I might take a bit of viscous oil out, or go back to a 76.5 C thermostat 🤔. Was handy towing up large hill climbs with van in heat, A/C on this year as it only got to 93C once. Don’t want any premature wear in the old girl because of low temps so will keep a good eye on this one! Thanks boys, always great reading on here. Been ages since I made any replies- everyone is all over it, as usual. Always great advice. Legends!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
153 Posts
I would say that a quarter is too cold. Had a similar problem with my Y60, turn out that the thermostat was stuck in the open position. Replaced it and the temperature guage went up to half.

·
Registered
‘97 GQ TD42 Wagon n/a....Turbo coming 🦾
91 Posts
I would say that a quarter is too cold. Had a similar problem with my Y60, turn out that the thermostat was stuck in the open position. Replaced it and the temperature guage went up to half.
yeah I’m thinking your right it is too cold. Remembering to when I had my ‘04 GU 3L Di it always sat on a third & never moved. I never had the need to work on the cooling system as it was all up to scratch. I wonder if any of the GU owners know what the factory thermostat temp rating is....? They def changed some things for the GU 3L as I’ve never heard of them having the overheating issues the TD’s have.

My temps are good in summer as is & towing I don’t stress anymore but the cooler months & General driving around it is too cold! 🤦‍♂️ Will have to find a happy medium.

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
I had a read of the factory service manual for the GQ TD42 and it mentions the standard thermostat type in aus was the 82 degree C however most people run the 76.5 which is listed as the tropical / Gulf type thermostat. I thought I may have read something from oldmav some years ago posted on this forum where he mentioned that he found the TD42 ran quiet and smooth at about 80 degrees C

Attachments

21 - 40 of 44 Posts