Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gents and Gals,
Been throwing the above idea around in my head for months and months. Researching, contemplating, discussing. I’ve done plenty of searching and couldn’t quite find the info I was after, but if you know of some solid articles that you think I should read, by all means link them and I’ll check them out.

Reason is, my old Silvertop has just clicked over 500K. I would love to get some more reliable power, nothing crazy, but I’d like 180-200hp give or take. Early spool, and economy considered as I use it for everything. So, to rebuild? To motor swap? Or chuck a UFI pump on and hope for the best?
Here’s some info on the old girl to aid in your opinions...

As far as I am aware of, it’s never been opened. Bloke I bought it off (back when it had 430K on the clock) thought that it potentially could have been rebuilt by another previous owner, who was a mate of his. But couldn’t guarantee.
It’s been turbo’d since 270K, and it’s still running sweet. I service it meticulously, always on time or even earlier. Oils, filters etc, always Penrite and ryco. Runs Cool as a baby, low 70’s cruising anywhere, hot day with AC on will maybe just hit 80. Towing my 1.5 tonne boat and it gets to 84-86 with AC on. EGT’s are sweet, id like them a little lower but I believe the turbo I have chokes on the high revs. Oil pressure sits on what I would call 2.5-3 kg/cm on factory gauge. When booting it, goes to about 3.5. Although when i stop, oil pressure slowly drops right down (would be keen to hear people’s thoughts on that as well). Rebuilt factory spec 10mm pump about 420K and new injectors. I’ve given the fuel screw a bit of a twist, very conservatively. It blows no soot on boost, let alone at all. Standard two core games radiator. It’s been fitted with an NPC clutch by Reaper. Mamba 16/6. CC top mount. 4” milweld pod airbox and snorkel. And all the other usual accomodating bits.
I do plan on keeping the car for as long as I can. Keen to hear your opinions, happy to answer any other questions, and Thankyou in advance for your time and consideration lads and laddettes:)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sounds very similar to mine, except mines got @560k on the clock, and no IC. I’m sure that compression would be getting down by now, but it’s still running sweet and uses less than a litre of oil over the 5000km service interval. My thoughts are that if it ain’t broke, don’t try and fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Andrew, yep I am similar on oil usage as well. Little bit of blow by, I can leave the oil cap undone and it will move around but won’t come out of the rocker cover.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,513 Posts
A compression test would be a good indicator of condition, so that is a MUST before you consider a rebuild, in my view anyway. One of our members just did a compression test on his engine a few weeks ago, in conjunction with changing his glow plugs. He was pleased to see it within spec - it has done 800,000km. I recall reading another forum many years ago, where one of the members was a mechanic, and they had stripped a couple of TD42 engines down for inspection before fitting turbos to them. They had done 430,000km on one, and the other I forget. But neither engine needed any work done. I would be getting that UFI pump, and getting it set up nicely. May be the last thing you ever need to do.

As for your oil consumption, a good engine oil flush such as CEM (not a parts store cheapie) and consider what oil is best suited to the TD42 may help with that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shayne,
Yep also forgot to add that in as well haha. I definitely am going to get a compression test done. Anyone know a good mechanic around the mandurah area to do the test and also give an opinion on the state of the engine?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Encouraging to hear the TD reaching such high K’s. Wouldn’t happen to know if that one with 800,000 was turbo’d? Td42 or Td42T?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts