Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and thought some of you would be interested in the results. Been meaning to get it weighed for ages.

Vehicle with approx 100litres of diesel, front steel bar, dual batteries, cargo barrier, single Outback steel drawer full of recovery gear/tools, ply shelving, rear steel bar with single spare wheel/carrier with no-one onboard came out as 2620kg. Tyres are 235/85r16 all round on steel wheels.

Mine has a gvm of 3000kg so that leaves 380kg of payload, some back of a fag packet calcs later and I reckon I squeeze under GVM on most trips (2 people plus camping gear, alcohol, food, water, alcohol, fridge another 25l of fuel etc etc).

Roc

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
No wonder Smokey slows on hills run in at 2.75 empty. With front winch bar, rear draws, ARB full lengh rack, 100+ litres of diesel and 33s. Loaded I dont want to know :-0

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
On a club trip I took to Murray Sunset, we ended up at a weighbridge in SA... Every patrol was over, from memory Shanes was over by 800kgs

·
Registered
55 Posts
does anyone know the leeway that is given if for some reason the car is put on a weighbridge? has this happened to anyone?
I know with trucks they can be 300kg over without copping a fine.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
think what the grey nomads feel like with another three tone up there arse, plus the great feel of the brake pedal= a few scary moments i would say

·
Registered
446 Posts
I know nsw laws there is no leeway for overweight. Some of the weigh bridges will turn blind eye to little bit but if you upset them they can book you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My dual cab was let slip thru rego when I bought it so had to go over the pits, the mod plate for the conversion hadnt been changed for weight so I had to get the patrol under 2550kg, absolutely empty,no spare,no fuel(pumped it out)no tray sides,no compressor, the only other thing I could of done was start pulling seats out!! In the end they registered it, but I was told if its only me in the car am allowed 100kg in the back and if the car is full of people cant have anything in the back! Im a plumber and there is easily bout 400kg in the back at all times! He didnt want to know that but.
I thought after chopping the back off and putting a tray on it would be about the same a s standard,obviously not.
Zappa

·
Registered
517 Posts
has anyone looked into gvm upgrades? i know it may sound silly but its rated at that weight for a reason.
I believe brakes are the major component required for a GVM upgrade. I'm going to look into it mid DEC when I have some leave.

Marks adaptors are currently working on a GVM upgrade for the Patrol. They are fitting Toyota brakes to Patrols to improve braking. I am not sure if this is for their Portals only or if they are extending this service to standard diffs.

My Series 4 patrol weighs in at ~2550kg in standard plastic trim - no accessories. With a few steel bits (front bar, scrub rails, side steps, draws, roof rack, 33's, dual batts etc etc) I am pushing 2.9T with a full tank and no passengers. Don't even have a steel rear bar yet.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Interesting thread... did anyone get to the bottom of it?

My mate just converted his FJ55 to a Dual Cab ute with a 2H diesel. Whilst he was not upgrading GVM, the engineer put it through a brake test due to the dual cab conversion/seating capacity/engine change combo. Test was done on a quite back street 16times. Tests were done one after another ensuring brakes did not cool down to much. Test involved getting up to 60km/h and hitting the brakes as hard as you can without locking it up. A box was strapped down to the passenger side seat which took all the measurements. Engineer was sitting in the back while my mate was driving.

Does not sound like 10K worth to me. :confused: Cert cost him $1000 for the lot.

I called Marks Adaptors, the guy in the know was out, but spoke to another person who said they are working on GVM upgrade for the Portals to bring the patrol up to 3800kg's. Upgrade is 2K on top of the cost of the portals. Asked if a non portalled Patrol could be upgraded, he said he would need to find out. Will give them a try later.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Interesting thread... did anyone get to the bottom of it?
too hard basket. No engineer would go near it, so what can you do?

there are other threads where people got all excited and ITS HAPPENING, but in the end, nothing happened at all.

·
Registered
547 Posts
fair call with the way thing are going these days it will just about impossible to improve our 4x4's with out being illegal they are just making it far to hard nowadays

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
94 Gq single cab coil sprung
arb winch bar high mount winch
alloy mickey T rims 285x16's
steel tray and checker floor
40L of fuel on board
weighed in at 2,550kg
then I added a tipper tray and haven't weighed it again
GVM as stated on mod plate 2,750kg ( but is incorrect)
should have stayed the same as the original 2,900kg (long story) wasn't worth the hassle of getting it rectified ment re booking it in at engineers and paying them and the fee for another plate even tho was there mistake :rolleyes:

got nailed on the weigh bridge once at 3,900kg they weren't happy fine was 2 demerit points and $80

1 - 20 of 21 Posts