Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Pulled up on driveway this morning and coolant pissing out of radiator, popped the bonnet and the flange where the top radiator hose clamps onto has bloody snapped off??

Is this a whole new radiator im up for or can you replace the top section of the radiator?

Its a 1999 Gu 2.8 wagon, if its a new radiator whats the going price for one?

Any help would be awesome

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
You can just replace the top tank / bottom tank. Should be less than $300

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks benno

just came at the worst time, havnt got the coin for the flash pwr radiators yet. Do most radiator places do this sort of thing or do i have to go back to mr nissan?

cheers

phil

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Nissan wont do it, pull the radiator out and take it to a reputable rad place and say you want new tanks, rodded and pressure tested.

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
Mate is it a plastic tank or metal? If metal you can replace the actual bit that has broke if plastic you just replace the tank. We use to have the metal ones break all the time and you can just solder a new one in. Its no biggy mate maybe just take the radiator to them if you want to save on more cash otherwise if they are real close you could risk driving it (depending if it is just a trickle or if it is seriously leaking dont risk it).

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
all radiator places can do these top tanks make sure they check bottom as well

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8td gu st
249 Posts
most radiators places would have a reco 1 of a 2.8gu i reckon cpl hundred bucks + exchange walk in walk out if they dont have 1 get top 1 replaced and get radiator rodded while your there...

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey 89 GQ

I think its a plastic one, its just the one that came with the patrol from new im guessing.

Yea i'll just rip it out and take it down the a radiator place not going to risk driving it!

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks fellas

so shouldnt be more than a couple hundred then hey? mrs is going to roast me when she finds out

cheers

phil

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8td gu st
249 Posts
thanks fellas

so shouldnt be more than a couple hundred then hey? mrs is going to roast me when she finds out

cheers

phil
yer im guessing cpl hundred, my commodore vx 6 was 120-150 exchange same set up plastic, smaller tho and common problem on vx..

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quess i'll have to try and find sumwhere south of perth that will do this now.

Thanks heaps for the help

cheers

phil

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
If they have a natrad near you tell them what has happened and tell them you will bring it in. If money is tight and the radiator looks good just tell them to replace the tank and not rod it although with all the heat you guys have had it might be a good idea.

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea i ve got a natrad dealer just round the corner from me so i'll just take it there!! Yea cash flow is never the best this time of year but the tank looks fine so i'll just give it to them and tell them to do thier best lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Phil,

Had the same thing happen to mine a coupla years ago. Good fellow replaced just the top tank, claiming that because the bottom tank runs a lot cooler, they last a lot longer.

I do have a spare here in Bunbury if yer stuck.

Good luck,

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey kiwi B

Thanks heaps for the offer, if i dont have any luck up this way i'll pm you and see how much you want for it.

Cheers

Phil

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
Hey Phil

Sorry to hear about the radiator mate.

I just had my factory radiator blow after 15 years of service. I went and saw Rockingham Spring Works off Dicson Rd (my eks key is broken) bloke in there was great. Ended up walking out with a whole new radiator for $450. No point in repairing the old one when for another couple of bucks a new one could go in. Just make sure you change the thermostat and cap while your at it.

Bloke didn't even try and sell me a triple core, said he'd had too many crack in Patrols due to the mounts and if the viscous hub, fan, thermostat, cap and coolant are all in good order it'll cope with any heat just fine.

I'm over in Cairns at the moment, fly back in a couple of weeks to pick the truck up and drive her back. I'll try catch you in mid January to see your bus and how it's come along.

Drew

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks drew ill have a drive over there with the rad this week and see what they say, must admit thats the first ive heard about the triple cores, ill try and steer away from them now then!!! will be good to catch up when ya get back for a cruise sumwhere.

cheers

Phil

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
Yeah they should be able to help you out.

Same here, I'd only ever heard that upgrading to the PWR & Aussie Desert etc. radiators would be an improvement. He had one bloke with a GU 2.8 run hot with an Aussie and they did everything from cap to water pump and it wasn't till they put a single in that it went back to normal.

I suppose it's like everything else with these trucks, research and go with the safest option.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts