Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've read the very informative post (mainly by Chaz) regarding the benefits of fitting a lockup switch to the torque converter for use when towing etc and would like to go down that path. I'm confused however because Chaz and others tell me I can do it myself for less than fifty bucks worth of bits, whereas Wholesale Automatics (who rebuilt my trans, fitted the Nomad valve body etc) want $495 for their switch kit!!!

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two extremes?:confused:

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Only difference is the speed of the relay. I've got a wholesale kit sitting in the garage and it's nothing more than some wires and an a good quality relay. Maybe I should put it up on eBay if they are charging nearly 500 these days..pretty sure I didn't pay anywhere near that.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Hey mick, it's minus the carling switch as I've used that elsewhere but if you're happy to get a new switch from repco it's yours. How about 50 bucks?

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
I think I binned them. It was one wire in the TCU that needed to be tapped. I'll have a look in the filing cabinet tomorrow night to see if Ive got it. From memory it was a single photocopied bit of paper...nothing flash.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
315 Posts
Mick
There's nothing special about the kit from wholesale. They're just using their name to make money.
Be wary of using the lockup with the nomad valve body upgrade. I've been seeking advice from several automatics shops regarding valve upgrades and are starting to hear of problems potentially caused by lockup overrides.
One problem seems to be related to using manual lockup on downhill runs. I'm not quite sure what the actual failure mode is with this one.
Another potential problem is if you allow gear shifts with the lock engaged, the "clutch springs" may be overloaded and fail. This is only really an issue with upgraded valve bodies as they run higher pressure to the clutch so it doesn't give a little (slip) to soften the shift.
That's the general concensus from who I've spoken to so far.

Sent from somewhere I wish I wasn't.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to resurrect this old post, but I'm still researching this before I pull the trigger. It sort of doesn't make sense for Wholesale to be marketing both the nomad valve body and the lock up switch if using one with the other with cause your auto to explode. Does anyone else have an opinion regarding this issue?

Mickn

·
The Act of Faith
nissan patrol
2,650 Posts
Don't bother, if you have a valve body done the chance of damage is too great. I destroyed my GQ auto forgetting to turn it off when stopping. If you're still keen to do it look up the wiring diagram for the auto computer and find the wire leading to the lock up solenoid. Tap a switched 12V supply

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
$495 for the lockup kit can't be right - they wanted $295 for it last time I looked and even that is 5x the reasonable price!

I use two relays - to allow for lockout of the P/N modes on the gear selector and allow the TCU to activate the lockup as per normal (which I manually override). Great for sitting on the freeway but I don't bother using it in low range, and need to remember to turn it off before slowing down. Never change gear with it activated either.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
315 Posts
Hey mickn

I'm probably going to get the equivalent to a nomad body as well. I really like the way the patrol toes with the lockup kit.
To make sure I look after things, I will modify my lockup controller to detect gear changes and unlock to prevent gearbox damage. This way, we can still have the lockup option and not have to worry about breaking things. I aim to keep improving the performance of my patrol whilst keeping everything reliable so it doesn't matter who drives it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe the 'unlock for gearchange' then 'relock' feature is what makes the difference between wholesales early kit and the $495 kit. they do mention that the nomad valve body is required for the gq but not the gu. still undecided, but not happy with towing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have the equivalent to a Nomad valve body in my transmission. Transmission rebuilt with it 150,000ks ago. I put my own torque converter lock up switch in about 50,000ks ago. It's one of the best things I have done to the vehicle especially for towing. Towed my 1.5t glass boat from Syd to north Straddie in QLD and return. Mainly stayed in 3rd gear with it locked. Unlocked every time I changed gear and then locked it again. Transmission temps never got over 90deg. Mainly sat around 70deg. Hardly knew the boat was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robbo71 and mickn

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I've never had a problem with it changing gear while locked.

$500 for a switch, relay and some wires? Geez I'm in the wrong business..

Reactions: mickn

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
315 Posts
Dronus... Refresh my feeble memory. You have a nomad valve body don't you?

Do you allow all gear changes or only 3-4 locked?

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
I have an extreme valvebody and built auto, and letting it change gear while locked up puts some nasty shock loads through the transmission, T/C and flex plate. 4th > 3rd is ok, but the other changes are definitely going to shorten the life of something.

As for trying to automatically unlock for gear changes (as per the TCU operation)...why bother? Only use the lockup for steady state operation IMO.

Reactions: mickn

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Dronus... Refresh my feeble memory. You have a nomad valve body don't you?

Do you allow all gear changes or only 3-4 locked?

No siree bob. Standard gu2 auto box.

I only use the lockup on hills where the speed limit is 80 and I have my OD off.

I've done a lot of km in this car and know when it's happy, sometimes I'm better off letting it unlock and rev out to keep the egts down.

That's the difference between knowing your car, and letting someone else tell you what's best for your car.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
Dronus is it correct that the 3ltr auto is the strongest auto box of all the patrol auto boxes?I am looking for an auto for my tb42 and want to do the upgraded valve body mod along with the lock up switch

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Dronus is it correct that the 3ltr auto is the strongest auto box of all the patrol auto boxes?I am looking for an auto for my tb42 and want to do the upgraded valve body mod along with the lock up switch
Gday mate I've heard that the auto that comes with the zd30 is pretty tough. How it rates against others unfortunately I wouldn't know the facts so probably couldn't comment :)

Reactions: Gasburner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts