Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
Just been reading up on a heap of post regarding power/torque upgrades on the TB45. Having 33" tyres (strictly taken not roadworthy I've heard?), the Troll is getting a little slow uphill....especially towing my <1 ton camper trailer.
Options are:
1.change the diff ratio to 4.3
Can anyone tell me how much this would roughly set me back and if there is any good places to get the parts and/or work done in Melbournes East?
2. extractors and exhaust upgrade
As I run on gas, does this make much sense in the first place? Or only a power increase when running straight petrol? Any particular brands that are good value for money or steer clear from? Any good places to get it done?
3. Chip it, no idea how that goes on gas, any help is welcome!
4.turbo
Turbo is out of my budget and because I run it on an injected gas system, not sure if that would work well anyway.
-back to 31".....
After a recent trip to Toolangi out of the question.....31"'s would struggle there, although it would be nice being legal again. How does everybody run around on 35"? Engineers reports? Or just hoping nothing happens??

Would it be worth getting it on a dyno first to see if this helps? Same question, any good places to do so and what should that set me back?

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
I'd start with option 2 for now with a dyno tune. I've only ever used pacemakers and could not give you any advice on other systems.

If you intend to run bigger tyres, you can usually get away with 33's, 35's on a daily driver is pushing your luck.. both are illegal in most states. If you do end up running 33's, then a diff ratio change will make a big improvement when towing. I did ratio change myself for $500 inc gears... expect to pay ~$1200 for labour only.

Most people that run larger tyres, including myself run the risk. Engineers certs now days for 35's are gone unless you run Portals $$$$$.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
What your driving a TB45 with only 33"s and you think its getting slow? I would be looking at fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, oil change, compression test. If that is all good and you just want some more power, chip and/or exhaust first, then worry about diff ratios afterward. I had no issues pulling up big long hills with my ZD30 and 33" tyres loaded up to the roof with full length drawers FULL of sht, bullbar, sliders, rear bar, winch, etc and a camper.

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What your driving a TB45 with only 33"s and you think its getting slow? I would be looking at fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, oil change, compression test. If that is all good and you just want some more power, chip and/or exhaust first, then worry about diff ratios afterward. I had no issues pulling up big long hills with my ZD30 and 33" tyres loaded up to the roof with full length drawers FULL of sht, bullbar, sliders, rear bar, winch, etc and a camper.
Fuel filter, plugs and leads, air filter and oils have all been changed in the previous 6 months. I am not saying it is slow, but just miss a little get up and go since changing to 33".
Comparing a zd30 with a tb45 might be comparing apples with pears anyway, you'd expect the diesel to be better with towing regardless. Looks like diff ratio is off the charts than too, leaving me with dyno and maybe chip....
Cheers

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Not that I know anything about gas on a petrol motor so just a question really.
Will a chip do anything if you are running on straight gas?

Can you have the gas settings changed/ increased (or tuned to suit a better exhaust) separately to the normal motor computer settings without having to add an expensive chip?

I know that on my gas system it is possible to plug it in and tune the settings (but mine is running on diesel and only adding a bit of gas).

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
I got a quote for a chip with dual mapping.... So yeah, can do it. My 33" and the gas both cause a torque loss.... so now I'm trying to work out how to get it back to "normal".... pretty pricey though:
Diff ratio: about $1800 fitted? (guessed)
Chip: $1600
Turbo: $3000+
Maybe drop the tyre size.....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Chip is going to raise gas temps as far as I know, so you'd need the exhaust to go with it.

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chip is going to raise gas temps as far as I know, so you'd need the exhaust to go with it.
Good to know..... so that would make it over $3000 as well....
Think the best way is to change the diff ratio, or switch back to 31" or 32".....

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm not sure remapping the ignition will help much because the standard TB45 ECU increases advance until it hears a knock. It will increase it to 45deg advance on gas observed on my ecutalk display. You can crib another 5 deg by setting the static timing to 10 deg instaed of the regulation 5 deg so that the ecu thinks the timing is 5 deg less advanced across the board but that will mess with the petrol tune a bit. I did this on mine and I thought it went a bit better but 2 gas tuners put it back to standard. They said that if the knock sensor gets heard it chops about 20KW instantly off as it retards quite dramatically. Just hearsay though and I don't have a lot of faith in these guys. I think the problem is the old TB45 is just pretty slow and I think it is geared taller than the TB48 as that just revs a lot better because it breathes so much better with the 4 valves/cyl. I just expect to change down sooner when the 33 are on and get used to it. I also tow in 4th unless the road is flat. It is quiet, smooth, cheap to run and pretty slow. It does seem to run with a lot more advance and power when the air is cool (as you would expect).

98 GU TB45 manual, Landi Renzo injected gas/petrol, 33s in the bush 31s around town and highway. Heavy Camper Trailer
91 Mav TB42 manual petrol shorty

·
Green Machine
nissan
881 Posts
I would personally change your diff ratios before exhaust. Exhaust won't really give you much of a notable power increase.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Are you running straight gas? Do you have a venturi or injection system? If you have a venturi system, it would be better to go injection.

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
I would of thought the 4.5 would of been heaps, you talk of 33s like they are monster tyres!
They are nearly identical to a 285/75/16. My 3lt hasnt dropped off bugger all with the larger tyres, even when towing.
My ol injected 94 4.2 petrol wagon went real well with bigger tyres and you should be in front of that by a bit as far as output goes!
Cheers
Zappa

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bruce, you've got me speechless.....and clueless for that. My knowledge of engines is limited, but it seems that the engine is what it is, and I didn't go out to buy a sports car.... The combination of running gas with the 33" is getting a little painful up (long) hills though....
The diff ratio seems the only good solution as exhaust and chip don't seem to make enough difference...

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would of thought the 4.5 would of been heaps, you talk of 33s like they are monster tyres!
They are nearly identical to a 285/75/16. My 3lt hasnt dropped off bugger all with the larger tyres, even when towing.

Cheers
Zappa
Hi Zappa, you are comparing a diesel with petrol again.... different car, and believe me, even with injected gas you loose power.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I currently have a series 4 2005 3 litre diesel but my previous was a 1999 4.5 litre petrol auto. I had LPG fitted shortly after buying the vehicle and was very happy with the money saved. I then fitted extractors and new larger exhaust which I felt at the time made a little difference. A few years later I had the LPG changed to vapour injection which really did not seem to make any difference to performance or fuel economy still averaging 22-24 litres per hundred. I also had a chip fitted (dual mapping) and was shown a graph that indicated about a 10% increase in power and torque. After driving the vehicle I did not really notice any difference and was of the opinion that the chip was not worth the money. Looking back I believe the extractors and exhaust system was the best method of obtaining more power and torque. I also had a snorkel fitted that also seemed to work well with the new exhaust system. LPG justs helps save money.

My new vehicle the series 4 diesel I fitted a DP chip and that made a big difference. Dont be fooled by thinking a chip fitted to a diesel will give the same result to a petrol. Both vehicles have towed my two ton caravan without any problems. I came to a conclusion that both vehicles do have enough power to tow large vehicles you just have to adapt to the load you are pulling. If that is not acceptable then get a F-250 7.3 diesel a hell of a lot more money and by no means as capable as the Patrol.

LPG is good value for money. Extractors and larger exhaust with snorkel is good value. Chip I believe is not value for money (diesel).

David

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
David, thanks a lot. That's the sort of help i am after.... you didn't happen to change diff ratio? Is that legal by the way?
Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
No I did not change the diff ratio. Changing ratios I do not believe is the answer others may disagree. Torque is what you are after as was I. The changes to the exhaust and extractors is the way to go. LPG saves you money.
David

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
Dutchy, if you are happy with the 4.5 on petrol, but run mostly on gas and are able to get a dual map chip, so you should be able to set a curve (ignition) for the gas a different one for petrol maybe you could think of pulling the head and getting some shaved off to increase the compression to run better with the gas.
Obviously you would need to retard the timing when on petrol or run some 98 octane but may get the results you are after.
Having said that I have not worked on a 4.5 so dont know if rockers are adjustable or shimmed, may influence decision.
If you are after more power, you need to do thye usual, intake exhaust cam and compression.
Cheers Zappa

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers Zappa, I'm pretty sure rockers are adjustable. I know dual mapping is possible, but another member already said the increase would be minimal. Exhaust and engine alterations are going to be too expensive right now....maybe in a year :-(
Moving to the hills, first thing will be changing down tyre size a little....

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Dutchy said:
Diff ratio: about $1800 fitted? (guessed).....
genuine gears $1000 per diff + fitting.

fitting - you looking for drive in/drive out? or drop the diffs, or just drop centers off and get it done? Drop centers off is cheapest. While the centers are out, fit lockers.

Give Kent at Glenmount Automotive a call. Hes a GU Petrol owner, have a word to him, and a perve on his missus too (vince, dont you say a word to her).

Glenmount Automotive
115 Ricketts Road
Mt Waverley
9544 4000

1 - 20 of 21 Posts