Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering is some kind person could help me out with torgue settings for my sons GU RD28 cylinder head, I bought a new head gasket and bolts but the gasket didnt come with settings or sequence any help appreciated:)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Rickie, I don't know anything about the RD28 motor, however I have a Haynes Manual for all GU diesel from 1998 TO 2004 and refers to RD28ETi..

Cylinder head bolts
M12 bolts
First stage..............29Nm
Second stage..........113Nm
Third stage.............Loosen all bolts completely
Fourth stage...........29Nm
Fifth stage..............118-127Nm

M8 bolts.................16-21Nm

Hope this is of some use !

Reactions: Rickie3

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mate thats fkn awesome thank you really appreciate your help, dont suppose the listed foot pound torque as well? pretty sure my tension wrench only has that

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Mate thats fkn awesome thank you really appreciate your help, dont suppose the listed foot pound torque as well? pretty sure my tension wrench only has that
Just look up the conversion on your ph or pc. Mine reads Ft/Lb also, it's almost as old as me, made it as an apprentice :).

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK think ive got the conversion ft/lb right
22ft*lbf
84ft*lbf
loosen::::
22ft*lbf
87ft*lbf
94ft*lbf

·
Registered
451 Posts
You have raised a very interesting point Rickie from which I would like to hear from our more qualified mechanics.

Your calculations are correct with 10Nm = 7.37lbs/ft

However, you have assumed that the range I gave you 118-127 was in fact a DOUBLE torque setting. I have always thought that when torque settings are listed with a - in the middle that it is simply a RANGE and you select a figure that may best suit your wrench, that is somewhere between 87 and 94 in your case.

Workshop manuals are flooded with this hyphen (-) in torque settings eg: RD28ETi..injectors 58-69Nm, main bearing cap bolts..69-78Nm, water pump bolts..16-21Nm.

I look forward to confirmation that it is a Range, but happy to know if I've been wrong all these years ?

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found this and went off that, I also installed the timing belt made sure all marks lined up, but when I manually wind over by hand, done about 20 revolutions and the marks havent lined back up, just wonder how many revolutions before the marks all line back up? it never locked up so valves havent hit pistons, must have to do a few revolutions to get back to where I started

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard to get answers here! anyway wound over manually 50000 times and the marks all lined up so all good

·
Registered
Nissan
33 Posts
it is a range all though most newer manuals dictate a specific torque when ever given a range i usually set the torque wrench in the middle allowing for variation in wrenches. Just remember that when you are using a extension i have always added a couple of ft-lbs because of the loss you get through the it.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Mate, it is no good posting the same thing over and over in different threads, I think I have said before, download the workshop manual from post #9 in the DI archives, all this info is in that manual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts