Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
senario is, i have a mate who swears that i shouldnt tow in 5th at anytime.
Im usually towing a 6x4 on weekends to the tip, just house duties, nothing commercial,
and he swears i should never tow in 5th, even though my Patrol is manual.
FFS my Patrol doesn't even know its there unless its filled with a few bricks , but more often just green waste as we are forever clearing land for a future outdoor reno.

2006 IV 3.0 turbo ST Diesel 5sp manual is what i have ( maybe i should put that in my sig, so i dont have to mention it all the time !)

so what do you guys say and do ??

thanks.
L J :bigthumb:

·
Registered
nissan
298 Posts
I have heard not to tow in 5th. And yesterday I was towing a car and didn't use 5th at all. I think it puts a lot of strain on the gear which 5th is an over drive gear and 4th is 1:1
Please correct if I'm wrong

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
i tow in 5th. . . or whatever gear the car feels ok holding. if its laboring. . . drop a cog.

when i had the turbo off my old car i had to drive most places at 100 in 4th coz i was running 37's on stock ratios.

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
Towing a small load in 5th is fine just don't load up the gear at all. Like at the bottom of a hill just go back to 4th and all should be sweet.
I towed a car trailer bout 500kms and used 5th on the flats or down hill no dramas just 4th or lower up hill.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
6x4 trailer itll be fine

The not towing in 5th is just something people mention as 5th is overdrive

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
the old "don't use 5th for towing" comes from the old style gearboxes which where a 4 speed box with a 5th tacked onto the side. the 5th was somewhat weaker and would wear out quickly with heavy loads.
modern gearboxes don't use that design and 5th gear is just as strong as all the others.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,274 Posts
the old "don't use 5th for towing" comes from the old style gearboxes which where a 4 speed box with a 5th tacked onto the side. the 5th was somewhat weaker and would wear out quickly with heavy loads.
modern gearboxes don't use that design and 5th gear is just as strong as all the others.
Tweak'e is correct, after 04 (I think) there was a change in gearbox design which had the spline through 5th a little longer, that was the main area of failure. Replacement parts for older gearbox's have the mod.

·
Registered
Nissan
269 Posts
I was told by my local 4WD mechanic that the problem is not so much under power, but instead when you quickly back-off the accelerator. The reason was, that when you dump the accelerator a big cog puts a lot of load on a smaller cog.

I guess if you've had a transmission apart you'd know what I'm trying to say.

He also said that the problem with weaker 5th gears in Patrols was fixed when the 2005 models came out (the ones with the squared-off wheel arches).

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Light loads - drive normally. If it's bricks then sure, drop to 4th...

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
5th is a full gear in your Patrol IE engineered equally as strong as the other 4 forward gears.

You can tow in 5th to your hearts content AS LONG as you treat it just like any other gear and change down as engine load increases. Just as you go back thru the gears from 4th to 3rd as a load increases in a 4 Speed you need to do the same when using a 5 speed box... I stress 5 SPEED BOX not 4 Speed plus Overdrive which is a totally different animal.

We tow loads up to several tons at work with Patrols, Cruisers, Lux's and Tritons . The vehicles are on a 100,000 K changeover and would spend at least 25,000 K's with 2 to 2 and 1/2 ton boats or dual axle box trailers hitched up travelling all over WA. At every opportunity we sit at 100 KPH in 5th ... never had an issue in any of the vehicles.

As for towing the load of 6X4 trailer... We usually have as much work gear weight wise loaded on our trucks as can be fitted in a 6X4 so that means essentially spend the other 75,000 K's "towing" an equivalent load in 5th at 110 on the open road anyway.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,274 Posts
5th is a full gear in your Patrol IE engineered equally as strong as the other 4 forward gears.

You can tow in 5th to your hearts content AS LONG as you treat it just like any other gear and change down as engine load increases. Just as you go back thru the gears from 4th to 3rd as a load increases in a 4 Speed you need to do the same when using a 5 speed box... I stress 5 SPEED BOX not 4 Speed plus Overdrive which is a totally different animal.

We tow loads up to several tons at work with Patrols, Cruisers, Lux's and Tritons . The vehicles are on a 100,000 K changeover and would spend at least 25,000 K's with 2 to 2 and 1/2 ton boats or dual axle box trailers hitched up travelling all over WA. At every opportunity we sit at 100 KPH in 5th ... never had an issue in any of the vehicles.

As for towing the load of 6X4 trailer... We usually have as much work gear weight wise loaded on our trucks as can be fitted in a 6X4 so that means essentially spend the other 75,000 K's "towing" an equivalent load in 5th at 110 on the open road anyway.

Not the early GU's, as I said there is an issue with the length of the spline, and the gear and spline finish up rattling around on the shaft, towing in 5th is the major contributor to this and is usually accompanied by finding a slight red stain in the gearbox oil when you change it, it does take a long time to happen, in my case over 200,000. But I stress this was in the early GU's, mine is on the way out and I have done a lot of research into it, when I do get around to fixing it 5th will be as strong as any other gear, just not yet.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Agree there was an issue with a manuf defect in the early 5 speeds... indeed there was a cracking good thread on here about 12 months ago with a heap of pics etc and extracts from service bulletins.

His is a series 4 so no problem and I might add the comp boys have no hassles putting some serious torque thru 5th gear either, certainly a lot more than we do... Finally, there are members on here running 6.5 Chevs who tow in 5th gear with no issues so PFFFT to the 5th 'can't handle the torque argument IMHO

Here is the link, around Post 40 and onwards has the relevant information... It was a manufacturing defect and affected many people who don't even tow at all...

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/towing-5th-gear-45214/index2.html

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pfewww !
i can go back to the way i was towin earlier this month, did the trip to the tip after i put up this thread earlier today, and only went asfar as fourth, heck even after emptying the trailer pfffft!!.
Gotta admit it was bothersome having to think constantly not to go to 5th !! LOL
, but did so to be safe, (F i hate how some people can make me paranoid!!) but better be safe today hey?
till now after readin all this !
Yeeehaaa

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
pfewww !
i can go back to the way i was towin earlier this month, did the trip to the tip after i put up this thread earlier today, and only went asfar as fourth, heck even after emptying the trailer pfffft!!.
Gotta admit it was bothersome having to think constantly not to go to 5th !! LOL
, but did so to be safe, (F i hate how some people can make me paranoid!!) but better be safe today hey?
till now after readin all this !
Yeeehaaa
ROFL... know what ya mean

I must add one thing tho... if anyone is "unhappy" towing or driving a heavily laden Patrol in 5th then don't. I mean who really cares in the end you are the Owner.

All I'm saying to people is tell it like it is. Saying you can't tow in 5th 'cause the Gearbox won't handle it is a widely held myth albeit with good intention... especially if it is a couple hundred kilo of household rubbish. That would also mean you can't use 5th if you have two passengers

No point in having people in "sphincter pucker mode" for no good reason IMHO... now if you had a Series 1 without the gearbox Mods on the other hand :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
As per the Evil Twin, Not an issue to use 5th gear for towing in your 2006 variant as it has the modifiction to stop the failure of the 5th gear & main shaft splines.

And read the link from post 40 as you will clearly see the modification that was performed for the later models.

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

4th is the strongest gear. Power goes straight through and the layshaft just spins with no load. Aside from gearing it would also be the most efficient.

Regards B M

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
True,

However, the 5th gear will not fail in his application due to the upgrade made to the main shaft/ 5th gear spline by Nissan.

As for economy, each vehicle is different 4.2, 3.0, 4.5 & 4.8.

Tyre size & diff ratios have a major or greater impact in economy, and obviously what speed your travelling at.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts