Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2006 GU 3Ltr auto Patrol and tow a 1.5t camper trailer. When towing I have overdrive off and have found I sit on 3000rpm at 90Kmp on the flat. I am reluctant to push it harder as I have read you shoudn't take this car over 3000rpm. Can anyone advise if this is normal or should I have something checked? When not towing it will sit at 2500rpm at 110kph on the flat.
Thanks
Tommy

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Why would you not want to go over 3000 rpm, and why not use the overdrive.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2006 GU 3Ltr auto Patrol and tow a 1.5t camper trailer. When towing I have overdrive off and have found I sit on 3000rpm at 90Kmp on the flat. I am reluctant to push it harder as I have read you shoudn't take this car over 3000rpm. Can anyone advise if this is normal or should I have something checked? When not towing it will sit at 2500rpm at 110kph on the flat.
Thanks
Tommy
The only negative about towing over 3 grand is the fuel economy, which can dive fairly quickly ! Many of us tow big loads without issues. I have a heavy duty off road camper and a 5.5m boat (but mines a manual).

If fuel eco is not a concern to you, go for it.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
I've gone to 4000 rpm plenty of times, modern diesels are designed to be high revving. I also tow in overdrive, there's nothing wrong with that. Just use common sense when approaching hills, but the auto will drop down anyway.

Cheers

Ray

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
If it stays below redline, engine will be fine.

Just remember this rhyme, when it is the time to tow tow tow.

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts
Welcome to the forum tommy :bigthumb:

As others have said, it is mainly economy that would stop you wanting to cruise at over 3k in drive. You can also tow in O/D at high speeds (say over 100k), the thing to watch out for is when the gearbox unlocks the torque converter in O/D, this is fine for a short time but it builds up lots of heat in the gearbox.

It is much better for the gearbox to be in D doing 3k than in O/D with the torque converter unlocked doing 2.7k.

In other words, you can tow in O/D as long as the torque converter is locked up eg. doing 2.5k @ 100kph or around 2.2k @ 100kph, anything lower than 100k that forces the torque converter to unlock, drop it back into drive and sit @ 90k till you can comfortably get into O/D with the torque converter locked again.

Cheers,
Whitie

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Hi Tommy,
yes I agree with what whitie said.

As far as economy and towing in OD. I have found that on good flat terrain and in cooler conditions mine will pull well in OD if I can keep the speed up over 100 around 110. But pushing it to kep the speed up creates much higher EGT (say at 105km and 2750 rpm Im getting up around 500C or higher EGT) as soon as the speed dropps off to around 100 or less it seems to be struggling and the torque converter unlocks, revs go up but it is not pulling well. Fuel economy is poor (17L/100km) on long trips towing the loaded camper, pushing to keep up 100 to 110 in OD.

At 90 to 100 km/h in D with OD off, my economy is much better 12 to 14L/100km. The revs are 3000 to 3500 and EGT are far lower 300 to 400C.

So In good conditions I tow in OD and keep the speed up to 100-110.

When it is really hot conditions, headwind, hilly terrain and heavily loaded:
I tow with OD off, keep the speed around 90 to 100; the economy and EGTs are better than with lower revs at higher speed in OD but having to push it harder to maintain speed.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
G'day, it seems that a healthy zd30 responds fairly well to being driven exuberantly on occasion when it's up to temperature. I imagine it helps prevent soot deposits from the egr. I know mine fairly sings every now and then when I let it rev to 4000+ rpm on a long steep hill near home.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
I understood that the torque converter stays locked at speeds above 80kmh.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
9,574 Posts

Cheers

Ray
Yes it seems to stay locked most of the time.
However when towing in OD and the speed dropps off it will unlock rev up then lock again. Sometimes when heavily loaded and towing ion a long incline it is worse and will sometimes sould like it is hunting for a gear but it is just the converter locking and un locking.

I try to stay up over 100 in OD and towing, or drop down under 100 and keep it out of OD.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
475 Posts

Cheers

Ray
Mine would lock up over 80kph, but would fairly quickly unlock with some load. I have a manual converter lockup and I will generally engage that after the converter has locked by its own accord (or at least that of the TCU). Combined with the rest of the mods I have I have found that overall driveability in O/D while towing and EGTs are good in all but extreme circumstances.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
I'll have to keep an eye out for that, as I can't rememebr experiencing that hunting feeling. But then I usuaally take it out of overdrive anyway when approaching a steep hill and towing, as the gearing just isn't ideal, like it was in the manual.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Dare I say Torque Converter Lock Up Switch... lock the TC and it keeps the Gearbox temps down when towing and as we all know the biggest enemy of Autos is the oil temp.

There is some cracking good info on here that Chaz and others have posted up. When I did it I kept my circuit very simple just a dash switch, foot operated floor switch, Relay and an LED so $20 to $30.

It will save you fuel (lots of it if you start using OD as well) also ecen better it will stop any annoying hunting in certain conditions as Geordie mentioned and even better again it will lower G'Box temps heaps.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
Dare I say Torque Converter Lock Up Switch... lock the TC and it keeps the Gearbox temps down when towing and as we all know the biggest enemy of Autos is the oil temp.

There is some cracking good info on here that Chaz and others have posted up. When I did it I kept my circuit very simple just a dash switch, foot operated floor switch, Relay and an LED so $20 to $30.

It will save you fuel (lots of it if you start using OD as well) also ecen better it will stop any annoying hunting in certain conditions as Geordie mentioned and even better again it will lower G'Box temps heaps.
Its on my to do list along with the resistor mod.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
I considered the torque converter lockup switch for a long time, but decided that I didn't want the simple on-off switch, as I'd invariably forget to switch it off when stopping, and just gave up on the complex auto setup with multiple relays etc. I tried to work out some sort of alternative that linked to the brake switch, but nothing really came together. If someone came up with a plug-in box that did it for you, I'd be seriously interested.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Fark me, I ran a 00 ZD30 manual from yeppoon to brisvegas at 120/130 in 4th (4.375 diffs making 34/3600rpm) and your having a sad over 3k??

Did some knob say it would blow up over 3k?

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
I considered the torque converter lockup switch for a long time, but decided that I didn't want the simple on-off switch, as I'd invariably forget to switch it off when stopping, and just gave up on the complex auto setup with multiple relays etc. I tried to work out some sort of alternative that linked to the brake switch, but nothing really came together. If someone came up with a plug-in box that did it for you, I'd be seriously interested.

Cheers

Ray
oh diddums :)

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts