Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the problem towing a heavy van/camper etc in overdrive.

Does this apply to any trailer like a small or dirtbike trailer etc weighing only a few hundred kgs loaded?

Cheers

Paddy

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
100 Posts
few hundred kilo's the rig shouldn't even know it was there.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Glort, your asthmatic natmo aspriation 4.2 is normal for such engines as they simply cant get enough air at much over 2500rpm. Throw a turbo on so it can actually get sufficient air into the cylinders and watch it take off whilst using little fuel.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Glort, it really comes down to the strength built into the transmission design. In the early days of overdrives they were an afterthought tacked onto a 4 speed gearbox & often not incorporated in the same compartment as the rest of the gears inthe main/lay shafts. This used to cause reliability issues due to the strength of the design & the multiplication of torque especially when towing.

The early days of 4 speed autos (VL, VN, EA Falcons) used to have oveheating issues when using overdrive to tow. Anyway this led to people being nervous to tow using overdrive.

Things these days are better & it is less of an issue. The rule of thumb of shifting manually while climbing mountain passes still applies to autos though as the constant shifting up & down at low speed with high load will still overheat them on a hot day.

Anyway, I have always used OD in my VT wagon to tow with, it doesn't have enough power & torque to hold it up hill anyway, same with my N/A GQ. Both have had no transmission issues to date & I change oil regulary.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sorry to thread dig..

So who tows what weight and what gear and kms do you sit on the highway?

I know benno tows some serious weight and most boaties tow in 4th. Toyota even says to use 4th in the manual TD landcruisers.

So have at it people.. what you got and what speed and gear...

·
Registered
nissan
109 Posts
i generally dont tow but i no my brother tows in 5th all the time...GQ chev diesel with well over 300,000km on the clock....his camping trailer is overweighted in my opinion(2T plus) and thats gets dragged along in 5th at high speeds and has broke anything yet.........engine runs quiet hot tho, the chev has seemed to handle it for the 10yrs its been in.....he mainly drives at NT road speeds 130km/hr camping trailer or not...iam sure your not meant to two in 5th but this is a good idea that they seem to withstand a punishing!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
My boat all up would probably go 1.5T, off road camper is a fair bit lighter, used to tow in 5th quite a bit until EGT fitted some time back, that changed the way I drove. Still use 5th but only lightly.
When towing, 2.2 to 3 grand is where mine is happiest. Always keep at or below 100kph as the Troll seems to like it there and the fuel numbers back that up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I towed my 23ft Boat from Brizzy to Cairns, Boat and trailer weigh 2.5 t approximately.

I read a few threads on here about this topic before the trip. Started off only getting to 4th. Truck got hot and also got sick of hearing the engine rev. I used 5th from about the sunshine coast, and i didn't have a problem.

Also my truck is in the apparent bad batch that 5th gear fail. - I don't know if the gear box has been repaced prior to me owning it though.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
I towed my 23ft Boat from Brizzy to Cairns, Boat and trailer weigh 2.5 t approximately.

I read a few threads on here about this topic before the trip. Started off only getting to 4th. Truck got hot and also got sick of hearing the engine rev. I used 5th from about the sunshine coast, and i didn't have a problem.

Also my truck is in the apparent bad batch that 5th gear fail. - I don't know if the gear box has been repaced prior to me owning it though.
Next time you change the gearbox oil, have a look at the last bit that drains out, the way 5th works itself on the splined shaft will generally leave a reddish coloured stain in the oil if it is failing. Not necessarily any noise.

·
Registered
846 Posts
n/A 4.2, trailer is only about 1 ton but is tall and square fronted giving it the aerodynamics and drag of a parachute ( and you can certainly feel it) and I tow at whatever the legal road speed is (or more often what it will actually achieve which is less on any incline).

If the road is flat, I can do 110 which is 5th. If I go over 80 for any length of time in 4th, the thing gets hotter as it does if I sit on 100 with no trailer. It also sucks fuel, undoubtedly due to the higher revs.
In 5th it runs cooler and far more ecomomically and is definately easier on the engine.
with my TB45E, when towing at about 95-100K and monitoring instantaneous fuel economy on the ecutalk display, I can't see a difference between 4th and 5th. Nor can I see a difference in coolant temperature. If the country is dead flat and there is no headwind, I will use 5th, otherwise 4th. Remember that in 4th you have direct drive through the box which probably saves about 3-4% efficiency and that effect balances out the extra friction losses due to the higher revs, at least for my TB45 near 100K

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,133 Posts
I have a 2000 GU 4.2TD and have put 210000ks on it in five years, most of this done from Adelaide Melbourne. I started of using 5th for about four years with no problems, I then fitted a pyro gauge and that showed me how much the exhaust temp can go up in fifth on some occasions.
Now I drive by this gauge and I use this to tell me when I need to change down.
I listen to the engine and that tells me also.
I have noticed that under 80ks if I put it in fifth I have a slight vibration, but 90ks onwards its ok, Now Im not sure if this is fifth gear or not but have no noise in any gear so could be anything.

Make from this what you may but if the exhaust temps are going up you must be using more diesel so if you put it in forth and it drops at the same speed I think its better for engine and gearbox.

Cheers Shane.

·
Registered
nissan
70 Posts
Have a 99 ST 4.2 turbo and tow a 2t 18" offroad caravan and drive at around 90 to 95 kmh. Drive in 4th gear most of the time. If I have a tail wind or going down hill I use 5th. Engine runs 5 deg lower in 4th on average and fuel economy doesnt seem to change if I use either gear.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
I have been towing my 28ft 3.4T boat around in my 4.2TD DX for a year and a half. I have had not issues at all, other than the smallest hill will see me down to 30kph pretty fast, which is why I have bought the 6.5 Intercooled Turbo. With the 4.2TD I came out of 5th as soon as I got near 85kph, and end up in second just doing the hills on Rockingham Rd in Spearwood. For you non WA guys, that's about the same size as an average speed hump......

·
Registered
436 Posts
Good stuff.. I'll do some testing. I'm only pulling 1.1 but usually have the car full of people and air con going nuts too.

Will try 5th up and 4th back and compare the difference. Didn't seem to find any recommendations in the handbook for what gear to use.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
I remember reading an old post where a member had his gearbox 5th gear repaired under warranty and he pressed Nissan for an answer if he could now tow his caravan in 5th. Eventually Nissan said he could and he may have posted their reply on here, someone may be able to find the post.

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
I have tow a 1.6 tonne camper trailer and a 2 tonne boat that I tow with the a 3.0 auto. I have just had egt and boost guages fitted. Egt is pre turbo and engine is standard except block EGR, exhaust is standard also. Towing the camper up a hill with the overdrive on sees temperature pushing up to and above 700 deg very quickly. Drop the auto off and it usually drops back a hundred degrees as the revs come up. The car won't hold in overdrive with the boat on except downhill on light throttle. Seems more relaxed just to tow at about 95 with the overdrive off and not have to worry about egt. On steep hills pulling the auto back to second brings the revs and temps down more quickly than just letting the box shift itself. Also the auto tends to run with the torque converter slipping if left in a high gear. This would surely result in higher auto temp, but I don't have a guage for auto temp to verify.

Peter

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
remember some of the earlier GU's had suspect 5th gears which failed without towing.. just something to be aware of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts