Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh yea I can see this doing heaps in a town of 45 that nobody drives through.

Welcome to the town of SpeedKills
By Samantha Donovan

Updated Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:14am AEDT

The town has been renamed for the next month. (ABC News: Tom Klein)

Town named speed changes to speed kills (AM) Map: Speed 3488 The tiny Victorian town of Speed is being renamed SpeedKills today as part of a unique road safety campaign.

The blink-and-you'll-miss-it town in the Mallee in Victoria's north-west has a population of just 45.

Locals were enthusiastic when the temporary name change was suggested to them, but it was the help of more than 30,000 Facebook users that made the name-change possible.

Phil Down, a local wheat and sheep farmer, says the aim of the name change is to encourage people to slow down on country roads.

"We've got a fuel and machinery dealer and then we've got a general store, post office and other than that, we've just got a few houses and that's it," he said.

"It's virtually on the road to somewhere else, so we've taken our quirky name and run with it to bring the attention to the campaign of trying to get people to slow down on country roads and especially through small towns."

Victoria's Transport Accident Commission (TAC), which promotes road safety, approached Speed residents with the idea.

It suggested that if 10,000 Facebook users supported renaming Speed to SpeedKills, the change would go ahead and the TAC would donate $10,000 to the local Lions Club.

Videos were then posted on the social networking site.

"Speeding through Speed is probably something that some people think is a great idea but we don't think so. People are a bit tired and think, well, nobody lives here, it is just a small town, but we live here," a local in the video said.

More than 30,000 Facebook users have now given the campaign the thumbs up and the TAC is doubling its donation.

Mr Down says Speed's residents are right behind the re-naming.

"Yeah well, Speed has got a fairly elderly population so it is fair to say a lot of them aren't on Facebook but that were really quite open to the proposal," he said.

"I personally thought there might have been a few negative but I didn't hear one of them so everyone was happy to go with it and use our name as a method of getting the message out there and to have the name nationally and gone internationally is quite phenomenal.

"It certainly shows what the new social networking is capable of."

And it is not just the town that is changing its name today.

"My name is Phillip Down and the radio interviewers thought what a great idea if they could ask to go further with the campaign as well as SpeedKills, what about Phillip Down to Phillip Slowdown," Mr Down said.

"So I agreed to it and for another 10,000 likes on Facebook I've agreed to do that and we achieved that within five days so from today I will be known as Phillip Slowdown."

Speed was originally named after a Victorian railway commissioner.

Both the town and Phil Down will revert to their original names in a month.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
We already knew the TAC campaigns of the last couple of years have been run by kindergarten kids.

Speedthrills.

·
Registered
nissan
246 Posts
Being such a small town, if the problem is that bad that they need to remane it, shows what a crap job the local copper is doing.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
25,713 Posts
Different, is it April 1st?:doh:

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Saw the publicity blurb for it on the news, said they were targeting young drivers. Only Problem is the target audience are not watching or reading about these things, they're off doing something completely different.

·
Registered
nissan
1,176 Posts
I thought everyone who travelled through "speed", needed to make sure they kept their speed "above 50", otherwise a bomb goes off ! (especially true if your driving a bus)

:rofl:

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
Another moronic idea, when will it stop? I'd guess when these do-gooders, misguided/manipulated idiots and greenie nutcases combine and ban cars/trucks or anything faster than 2 km/h. Why do people speed in excess of road/traffic/skills conditions? Because they're stupid. The more of those morons take themselves out the better for rest of us, called it survival of the fittest/smartest. Stop blaming speed and start rightly blaming those who go beyond the limits of roads, skill, conditions or what have you. I'm sick and tired of having this crap rammed down my throat daily. Speed doesn't kill! It is a sudden stop which does, so get your fact right people and stop patronizing those who do the right thing. :( Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Seriously what moronic town planner/beurocrat would name an effin town speed anyway ...... muppets

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
We have a similiar problem to the town of speed ,
Several years ago someone decided it was a good idea to remove our 60k signs.
New signs where never put back an as a result no one slows down for our small township, In fact most stick the boot in as its the only stretch of sealed road for some distance.
Council has been approached an they say its not their problem its up to vic roads ,who in turn say its a council problem,( typical brain dead govt bull**** )
After putting up with all the dumb Idiots that roar through i was more than happy to vote for the name change on facebook.
Hopefully the morons there might get the hint an slow down .

Whats it take people a kid to get killed before something smart gets done !!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
We have a similiar problem to the town of speed ,
Several years ago someone decided it was a good idea to remove our 60k signs.
New signs where never put back an as a result no one slows down for our small township, In fact most stick the boot in as its the only stretch of sealed road for some distance.
Council has been approached an they say its not their problem its up to vic roads ,who in turn say its a council problem,( typical brain dead govt bull**** )
After putting up with all the dumb Idiots that roar through i was more than happy to vote for the name change on facebook.
Hopefully the morons there might get the hint an slow down .

Whats it take people a kid to get killed before something smart gets done !!
The boys in blue must make a fortune out of that bit of road or don't they care, too much money being made in the cities.
And conversely, to be fair, if there are no signs how would genuine motorists know to slow down?

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Too far out from the nearest main town , an most of the offenders have been asked to slow down by the locals but are just to stupid.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
What is the original name of the town? I've probably driven through it a few times.
Being such a small town, if the problem is that bad that they need to remane it, shows what a crap job the local copper is doing.
I doubt they'd have a local cop being only a population of 45

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
They tried to change the local towns name
Its name is "Blackbutt"
Yeah gives ya giggle doesnt it
But its named after the tree , not the other
They have triad many many times over awhile to change the name
Speed signs,here
Theres one in town 60 at the top of the hill and 50 at the bottom,but you cant see the 50 sign
Hidin from trees,but it was only put there 9 months ago
Thats really showing the public the speed limit

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Too far out from the nearest main town , an most of the offenders have been asked to slow down by the locals but are just to stupid.
You have nobody who drives a semi with a 40ft flat deck or step deck trailer in town? Simple way to slow them down... and help the local car wrecker at same time.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,879 Posts
I have a pic of my Speed Triple up against the Speed township sign stashed away somewhere that I'd forgotten all about.
In all honesty except for the sign at each end of the village there really isn't anything else to slow down for...

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
if your kid got run down by a speeding driver who thought it would be a great joke to speed through speed ,
WOULD you be on the bandwagon to get the name changed??

I'm not saying that i havent done similiar in the past, but now that i've had kids, i cringe every time some idiot goes past my front fence at 100 miles an hour only ten feet from my kid

·
Registered
449 Posts
if your kid got run down by a speeding driver who thought it would be a great joke to speed through speed ,

I'm not saying that i havent done similiar in the past, but now that i've had kids, i cringe every time some idiot goes past my front fence at 100 miles an hour only ten feet from my kid

Funny as fark, stupid idea!?
until **** happens to you or some one you know..

There are some morons in this world,
sooner Darwin cleans them up the better.....

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, changing the name of the place is going to do **** all to slow people down
I'd be buying that semi and backing out infront of speeding drivers..

:worthles:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts