Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is about to take delivery of a new toyota corolla. She is now having everything thrown at her in the form of --1 Extended warranty -- 2 Gap cover -- 3 Paint protection --4 Interior protection ETC

Does anyone know if these are worth the extra $$??

I told her to rather get a Patrol, as once she pays for the "extras" she has paid the price of a Patrol!!!

Awaitng your knowledgable reply

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Paint protection yes. Extended warranty, yes if she'll be doing less than the kms for the time period...

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Paint protection, as described to me from a mate working at Audi and my ex who worked in Toyota, is an ultra expensive application of armor all/sonax/eagle one/macquires etc. Something along the lines of the greatest profit margin that can be thrown at a car from the dealer.

I shudder to think what exactly interior protection does or achieves. Something along the lines of SFA.

As far as warranty, Toyota are a very solid rig and I personally would take my chances. Buying something like an Alfa, different story.

·
Registered
4x4
29 Posts
find out what brand of protection package they are using.

i had the crystal glaze brand put on a ute a few years ago and it worked great. bat **** has eaten paint off cars of mine in the past and that was one thing they said it protected from, got some on my ute and left it there to test it out. six weeks later the **** crumbled off and not a mark on the paint.was told if the product didn't protect like they promised then they re-paint the car.

i was always a bit sus on these things but am now converted at least as far as crystal glaze is concerned

cheers cookie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks guys, think its summed up now. Interior protection most likely just dash and trim protector, and they even spray the carpets with something that stops mould!! WOW

LOL Decided to save $$ and do a polish and wax. As for the rest..... no thank you!

Dont know for sure, but it could be their way of paying the rent!!! Other members have also said the "paint protection" is just a GOOD quality polish and wax. For $1 300.00 I can buy shares in the polish factory!!

Thanks again to all who replied!!!

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Paint protection can be a good wax or it can also be a special clear coat sprayed over the paint. If the car is being garaged, don't bother.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plot thickens............... now they add an extra $660.00 for stamp duty "because it is melatic, and you pay stamp duty on the window tinting" Also the 12 months rego that was included is now suddenly payable........ just after the other bs had been refused.

What now??????

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Walk away. Tell them this is not the deal you expected. They'll call you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I told her that....... but she took it at 10-30 today. Oh POO!! UM can she make use of the "cooling off period"? She had the windows tinted through Toyota as well. Would this make a difference????

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Look, in all seriousness, how much more has it cost her?

When i bought my troll (new) i paid more than some, but less than others. If she's happy with it, don't bring her down.

FWIW, next new car i buy (if ever) i'll get the car, towbar, paint protection and that's it. I'll get the windows tinted elsewhere...

But remember this, the more peripheries you buy, the "better" the deal the salesman can and will cut.

She's taken it. Cooling off period is gone. That was from when she signed the dotted line to order it, not from delivery.

So it's cost her an extra grand, what's that spread over a 2, 3, 4 year loan. Not worth worring about IMO mate. Don't sweat the small stuff :).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mic....... I guess you are right. Just leaves a bad taste, to be told one thing.... and once you agree to it.... it all changes. HEHE told her to get a Patrol!!!!!!

Thanks again guys. Still a good little car, and a grand or so more...... school fees!!!!

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Mic....... I guess you are right. Just leaves a bad taste, to be told one thing.... and once you agree to it.... it all changes. HEHE told her to get a Patrol!!!!!!

Thanks again guys. Still a good little car, and a grand or so more...... school fees!!!!
Totally agree. The slimebags changed the deal AFTER the dotted line was signed? Not on, but seriously, whatcha gonna do? I was going to write a nasty letter to our hotel after our honeymoon as the room was a bit damp from humidity issues etc. But I thought to my self "seriously mic, is it worth the angst?". And i didn't. Though i'm sure we coulda got dollars back.

Others may disagree, but she's got a nice brandspanker of a car. She likes it. the bad taste of salesman will dissipate after a while.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too true, told her to get over it. Just a shame friends and family wont be buying a new toyota! (From this dealership anyway.)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Paint protection, as described to me from a mate working at Audi and my ex who worked in Toyota, is an ultra expensive application of armor all/sonax/eagle one/macquires etc. Something along the lines of the greatest profit margin that can be thrown at a car from the dealer.

I shudder to think what exactly interior protection does or achieves. Something along the lines of SFA.

As far as warranty, Toyota are a very solid rig and I personally would take my chances. Buying something like an Alfa, different story.
I can 100% confirm that paint protection is just a wipe on, let dry then buff off by hand Teflon based polish.

Car yards buy it in bulk in small containers about 2 per car and it's the detailer that puts it on.

Fabric protection is nothing but scotch guard or similar product also applied by the detailer.

I know this for a fact because out of sheer boredom selling cars I would go and hang out with detailers for a change of scene.

If you really want to get paint protection either do it yourself or get it done by a detailer much much cheaper.

Cheers

Justin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts