Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a piece of news...

All new LC300 will have CVT. WTF, a CVT in Aus. I owned a few CVT cars (Audis) and they were an absolute disaster. I hope the Toyo ones will be better - but given that after 13 years the LC 200 still cant find 6th gear properly...LOL

And man alive, all the rabid diesel fans (I used to be one - but all mine are now replaced with sweet petrols!) will hate to see that it will come in a hybrid petrol.

Thoughts? I am happy with my stonking big 5.6 V8!

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,614 Posts
Yeah not so sure CVT is such a good idea in a big 4WD, but I suppose it depends on how it's integrated with the hybrid system. Nissan has been using CVT's for many years and every single one of them is a piece of ****. From what I've heard, Nissan is moving away from CVT's and will be using DCT's for the last few of their IC powered models.

Y62 will be the last "Patrol" without some form of electric drive. Both Nissan and Toyota have committed to having some form of electric drive in all their models within the next 3 to 5 years. I've heard that they are working on a full electric version of the next gen Patrol. Nissan's casting plant in Australia have been asked to quote on some of the drivetrain components.

Personally I can't wait for someone to make a big 4WD SUV, with 4 independent electric wheel motors. If done properly I think it'll be really good off road.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,674 Posts
I'm waiting for the Rivian R1S, if they can bring it in on a price bracket similar to a 200 series, I'd seriously consider one.

·
Registered
nissan
6,182 Posts
I owned a few CVT cars (Audis) and they were an absolute disaster. I hope the Toyo ones will be better
I'm guessing it won't be a normal CVT but the same planetary Power Split Device used as a transmission in the Prius. They save a lot of weight but the car can't be driven on just the petrol engine if there is some fault with the electric motor/generator or its controls as it forms an integral part of the transmission..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing it won't be a normal CVT but the same planetary Power Split Device used as a transmission in the Prius. They save a lot of weight but the car can't be driven on just the petrol engine if there is some fault with the electric motor/generator or its controls as it forms an integral part of the transmission..
Thats a bloody fine point. I like that Rivian thing, but I am still in love with a petrol V8 or V12...

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
135 Posts
I'm waiting for the Rivian R1S, if they can bring it in on a price bracket similar to a 200 series, I'd seriously consider one.

Well that’s pretty handy..

Pricing revealed at $72k USD for the mid spec R1S. I think a 200 series costs about $85k USD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts