Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11,032 Posts
i also agree that the 40kmh rule is far more dangerous than safe. having people panic brake cause they stumble across an emergency vehicle in the middle of the road. lock up and crash. adding to the drama.

i think it was only like a week after nsw brought in that law it killed someone. not the solution.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,771 Posts
i also agree that the 40kmh rule is far more dangerous than safe. having people panic brake cause they stumble across an emergency vehicle in the middle of the road. lock up and crash. adding to the drama.

i think it was only like a week after nsw brought in that law it killed someone. not the solution.
NSW was a trial. Now if the speed limit is over 90 km/h no need to drop back to forty. But the onus is still to slow to a safe speed. Multilane roads move across to another lane when safe to do so.

·
Registered
nissan
11,032 Posts
NSW was a trial. Now if the speed limit is over 90 km/h no need to drop back to forty. But the onus is still to slow to a safe speed. Multilane roads move across to another lane when safe to do so.
i wasnt aware they removed it as im from qld but a bit of common sense finally applied.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,771 Posts
i wasnt aware they removed it as im from qld but a bit of common sense finally applied.
September 2019 the rules were amended. Also now includes tow trucks and breakdown vehicles.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,005 Posts
I agree 100%. Stupid rule. How many times are there secondary incidents on the OPPOSITE side if a highway because idiots slow down at the scene of an accident to have a sticky beek? The flashing lights are already a major distraction and people don't pay attention to where they're going. IMO they should be trying to do the exact opposite, i.e find a way of letting the traffic continue to flow as normal past the incident, not slow everyone down.

In this case, perhaps the "incident" of pulling the Porsche over should not have been done on the highway.

The other part that chills me to the bone about this horrible story, is the irony of the Porsche driver on ice, being pulled over only to be struck by a truck driver, also high on ice. With the amount of cars on Melbourne highways at any one time, for this to happen, statistically how many people are driving every day on our highways, high on dugs?

I've done over 200,000km in the last 8 years commuting between work and home, all of it on these same Melbourne highways. Incidents like this scares the **** out of me.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,282 Posts
That halfwit law of slowing down to 40kmh is plain stupid. I've crested hills and come around bends and there's been a cop/ambulance and towies with both of these and you try an pull up a fully loaded Semi or B-double to 40kmh in 100mtrs or less and see how you go. :rolleyes: It's one of the dumbest things that has ever been implemented, why, because it causes mass confusion with traffic panicking to try n slow down.

Foo
Sure.
Try being the emergency services worker with distracted idiots driving past at 100kmh though.
I fully support slowing traffic moving past us.

The alternative is not an option imo.
We get police dispatched to any road collision we attend. When they are there they generally move away and control traffic.
That is what they should have done in the situation you describe.
18 years doing my job and I have long since lost count of the endless list of stupid I have seen on the road.
Slow stupid is far better than fast stupid.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,897 Posts
Sure.
Try being the emergency services worker with distracted idiots driving past at 100kmh though.
I fully support slowing traffic moving past us.

The alternative is not an option imo.
We get police dispatched to any road collision we attend. When they are there they generally move away and control traffic.
That is what they should have done in the situation you describe.
18 years doing my job and I have long since lost count of the endless list of stupid I have seen on the road.
Slow stupid is far better than fast stupid.
You totally missed the point, you can't pull a truck up from 100kmh to 40kmh in the same fashion as a car. Instead of turning up blind on these things, put a bloody car 200mtrs or more before the accident/booking/break down. I've watched cars going all over the place, trying to slow down before the incident, let alone trying to avoid the kaos in a truck. I would suggest that most trucks try and slow and move over, well I do around these things.

Foo

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,282 Posts
You totally missed the point, you can't pull a truck up from 100kmh to 40kmh in the same fashion as a car. Instead of turning up blind on these things, put a bloody car 200mtrs or more before the accident/booking/break down. I've watched cars going all over the place, trying to slow down before the incident, let alone trying to avoid the kaos in a truck. I would suggest that most trucks try and slow and move over, well I do around these things.

Foo
I drove trucks in the territory. Road train licenced.

I did say they should have had police further away in that situation.

Having d'heads gawking at 100kph us the worse option.
Particularly as some will slow for a better look anyway.
Make everyone slow and if it is on a bend send someone down to warn traffic.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,897 Posts
I drove trucks in the territory. Road train licenced.

I did say they should have had police further away in that situation.

Having d'heads gawking at 100kph us the worse option.
Particularly as some will slow for a better look anyway.
Make everyone slow and if it is on a bend send someone down to warn traffic.
Yeah I know but police, if they are booking someone, should, be moving them to an area of better vision and safety. Friggin rubberneckers should be fined for being a danger to others on the road. ;)

Foo

Reactions: warthog

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,672 Posts
Not being a smart arse but can we have title changed to police officers as one was not a man. We lost one of our top Police officers in a 3 car crash yesterday as well.

Reactions: 62woollybugger

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
So I'm only just catching up with the news. Is it right that the truck driver was also on drugs?

It's getting pretty frightening on the roads when there are so many drug users and distracted, tired drivers. I feel for the police and any services that have to work on the roads. Such a dangerous environment these days.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Not being a smart arse but can we have title changed to police officers as one was not a man. We lost one of our top Police officers in a 3 car crash yesterday as well.
Generic term mate everyone knows what it means, don't read anything sexist into it.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So I'm only just catching up with the news. Is it right that the truck driver was also on drugs?

It's getting pretty frightening on the roads when there are so many drug users and distracted, tired drivers. I feel for the police and any services that have to work on the roads. Such a dangerous environment these days.
The evidence is only hearsay at the moment, apparently utensils were found but not confirmed yet. This was posted earlier:

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,897 Posts

No!

Foo

Reactions: geordie4x4

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,650 Posts
Cant say that catagorically Foo.

Wont be anything on this till he is able to be interviewed.

However, there is this. Qoute; More than 3 days on the truck driver, who crashed into and killed four police officers in the Eastern Freeway horror smash, is still yet to be interviewed by police. It comes as detectives probe whether he was high on ice after an ice pipe was found in the cab of the truck. End.

And to cap that off it was allegedly found next to him in the cab, while he was still in the cab.

It is always "alleged" till his day in court, but it is not looking good for his chances on "not" being charged with drug offences which will lead to either charges of Vehicular Homicide, or Vehicular Manslaughter (state dependant) x 4.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,897 Posts
Cant say that catagorically Foo.

Wont be anything on this till he is able to be interviewed.

However, there is this. Qoute; More than 3 days on the truck driver, who crashed into and killed four police officers in the Eastern Freeway horror smash, is still yet to be interviewed by police. It comes as detectives probe whether he was high on ice after an ice pipe was found in the cab of the truck. End.

And to cap that off it was allegedly found next to him in the cab, while he was still in the cab.

It is always "alleged" till his day in court, but it is not looking good for his chances on "not" being charged with drug offences which will lead to either charges of Vehicular Homicide, or Vehicular Manslaughter (state dependant) x 4.
Hang on, I just re read that and read it the wrong way. 😲

Foo

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just heard on the news, the moron porsche drivers mother has disowned him.
The second thing was that the last words the dying policewoman heard was probably this moron complaining to her about his sushi and his car, this guy is an absolute disgrace as a human, calling him an animal is insulting animals.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I meant to put above that it is just heartbreaking and beyond comprehension to think the last words she may have heard came from this worthless piece of ####

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just heard on the news, the moron porsche drivers mother has disowned him.
The second thing was that the last words the dying policewoman heard was probably this moron complaining to her about his sushi and his car, this guy is an absolute disgrace as a human, calling him an animal is insulting animals.
For idiots like this.............. we invented the commercial wood chipper.
Hope it bloody stalls half way through turning him into shark burley.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
960 Posts
"Police have confirmed they are investigating a case of criminal damage at the Porsche driver's house. They wish to identify the vandal so they can buy him/her a beer."
**** I'd brew each one a batch.

in all seriousness, i really hope the oh&s of pulling people over on a highway is reviewed. In any other industry or job. putting people in direct line of fire to 1-65t projectiles doing 80-110kmh wouldnt even be considered. and carrying out a task would result in immediate termination of employment. the levels of risk involved in this practise are totally unreasonable.

sure the porsche driver is a knobhead, but they also have his address. go pay him a visit at home away from 65t missiles. like they did after what happened.
sure the truck driver might of been on drugs and had a heart attack or what ever. Hell he could of swerved deliberately for all i know. but if these 4 people hadnt decided to pull this man up on the side of a highway they would still be alive.

Im not saying its not a tragic event and i feel truely sorry for the families and friends of all 4 cops involved. But i seriously question their policies and procedures surrounding these circumstances. and to a small degree kind of feel that if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

and dont worry i already have my flame suit on.
Agreed. First thing I thought of was what they were doing on foot on a freeway. No dirtbag is worth 4 people.

I meant to put above that it is just heartbreaking and beyond comprehension to think the last words she may have heard came from this worthless piece of ####
He's more discusting than a used bathroom franger covered in ****. The word dirtbag doesn't quite have enough levity for him

41 - 60 of 79 Posts