Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
Was wondering if someone might be able to give me a hand w/ this problem I've got with my box trailer.

I noticed the other day that if I have the brake or tail lights on and an indicator on the brake/tail light for that side will flash very slightly out-of-sync with the indicator (so when the indicator is on the brake/tail dims slightly, and when the indicator is off the brake/tail brightens slightly).

I know it's not a very big deal as everything is operating as it should ... it's just more of an annoyance as I like to get things right.

I've gone through and checked all the earth connections and everything is fine. I've hooked the trailer up to both my GQ patrol and the wife's Rav4 and the problem occurs on both vehicles.

I'm wondering if it might be the taillights themselves ... there were only a $40 (for the pair) @ Mitre10 (made by LION auto parts) ... perhaps something in the electronics on the inside as gone astray (this is the second set I've had of these as the first set failed under warranty.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
TC

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
wiring fault. Check your connections again

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that ... I've gone through every conceiveable connection I can think of ... everything tests out fine as far as I can see ... any thoughts on where to start?

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
It's an earth problem, make sure that the earth is connected through the plug back to the car. Don't rely on the earth through the tow ball.

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's what I thought too. I even lifted the chassis earth on the trailer to ensure that there was no difference in earth potential between the vehicle earth and trailer chassis earth ... But no improvement.

My next step is going to run an earth lead from the trailer tail lights directly to the vehicle battery and see how that goes

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apologies Nightjar ... Missed your post ... The light's earth are wired to the trailer body .... Which is also connected to the earth pin on the trailer plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts