Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
gday

on my mav - iv got two trailer plugs both wired differently (cos i tow 2 trailers that arnt mine - and 3 that are mine) to save time rewiring my 3 i just installed a new plug to suit the other 2 trailers. last night wasnt the first time i have used the plugs like this either...

now my questions - last night i was towing a trailer that isnt mine; all of a sudden the tail lamp fuse blows, jiggle the plug around replace the fuse, same again. i then replaced fuse with 15amp (it had to be done to get me home at 10pm)
playing with it today, swapped back to 10A fuse; when headlights are turned on - the fuse blows, swap with 15A fuse, and the tail lights on both car and trailer are extremely dull. pull the trailer plug out - and all is good...
iv spent a few hrs looking to see if i can find anything - nothing is jumping out at me.
does anyone have a suggestion?

sorry for the long post - cheers dave

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

Trailers are prone to trouble like this because of poor quality parts, and dodgy work. Check inside the plug first. ( and the outside ) Clean and no stray strands of wire ? Take out the globes. Are the lights on the car still dull / fuse blows ? If so the wires may have rubbed through somewhere. Most trailer wire is cheap crap, the insulation goes hard and rocks chip it off. Work your may along the wires wriggling it. When the lights go bright or out ( blown fuse ) you have found the problem.

It is hard to fix remotely, although wiring is very simple and easy to do. Not seeing it first-hand makes the difference. You may want to rewire the whole thing with good quality parts to avoid future problems. If so, avoid festoon globes, go with bayonet types. Far less trouble. Bad earths are another common problem. ( wont cause the car lights to dim though. )

I like Narva lights, not bad and cheap. Even though the round ones are festoon globes, they have a rubber seal and metal back plate.

Hope this helps B M

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
Your trailer has a short in the tail light circuit.

I would start by checking the lights and wiring at any of the trailer lights that aren't working, such as tail lights, number plate light and side marker lights (if fitted).

You are looking for anywhere the wire harness may have rubbed on the body of the trailer.

"swap with 15A fuse, and the tail lights on both car and trailer are extremely dull"

It's not a good idea to do this as you are overheating your vehicle wiring.

·
Registered
nissan
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help - i had a fiddle this arvo, replaced tail/number plate wiring. done and dusted
cheers dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts