Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Over there somewhere...
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to hook up a reverse light on a trailer?

As it does not have electric brakes, could that wire in the plug be used to power a relay to run a reversing light?

·
Registered
645 Posts
In a 7 pin setup there is a wire for the reverse.

Have you hooked a test light to each pin on your trailer connector to find the one that does reverse.

Pin 2 it seems, check this out

Trailer Wiring Diagrams @ ExplorOz Articles

edit: It is best to stick to the standard wiring so that if someone else uses your trailer or you use a different trailer, there won't be any crossed wires so to speak.

·
Over there somewhere...
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info but I know how to wire up a normal plug etc. ;)

The point is that it won't run a spotlight. If someone borrows it, it won't matter as long as the light is powered.

A relay on the trailer should boost it enough though to run reverse lights? Anyone know?

·
The Bear
2,413 Posts
duh! what does reversing signal (light, pin2) have to do with service brakes (pin5)??? would hardly think so, unless some moron has decided to make it up( own wiring) as they go along, inthat case nothing would probably be right so it doesn't matter, 'cause you'd have a tray full of blown fuses....

[If you loaned it to someone that has a brake controler it could be an issue.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks for the info but I know how to wire up a normal plug etc. ;)

The point is that it won't run a spotlight. If someone borrows it, it won't matter as long as the light is powered.

A relay on the trailer should boost it enough though to run reverse lights? Anyone know?

Ah, I understand what you're asking now ;)

You could use a seperate cable, say and Anderson plug wired for high amperage direct from Aux Battery (or main if you don't have a second battery) and then wire the relay into that. Then you could also use it to charge batteries that are in the trailer (eg camper trailer) or even higher power accesories. You could also use the higher amp anderson plug at the back of the 4by for other campsite utilities when the trailer isn't connected.

I wouldn't use the standard vehicle/trailer loom for that kind of power.

Does this help? :D

·
Over there somewhere...
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
duh! what does reversing signal (light, pin2) have to do with service brakes (pin5)??? would hardly think so, unless some moron has decided to make it up( own wiring) as they go along, inthat case nothing would probably be right so it doesn't matter, 'cause you'd have a tray full of blown fuses....

[If you loaned it to someone that has a brake controler it could be an issue.
[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean?

·
Over there somewhere...
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, I understand what you're asking now ;)

You could use a seperate cable, say and Anderson plug wired for high amperage direct from Aux Battery (or main if you don't have a second battery) and then wire the relay into that. Then you could also use it to charge batteries that are in the trailer (eg camper trailer) or even higher power accesories. You could also use the higher amp anderson plug at the back of the 4by for other campsite utilities when the trailer isn't connected.

I wouldn't use the standard vehicle/trailer loom for that kind of power.

Does this help? :D
Zachary! Thanks Azza. I'm glad you know what you thought I knew that I thought you knew and now we both know!!

It needs to run two waterproof reverse lights that show the sides behind the boat trailer. The anderson plugs (already set up) will be able to run through a switch and turn them on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Jeez, I'm glad we sorted that out, my head was spinning for a minute there... ROFL.

Do you have an auto reset C/Breaker on the Anderson Plug feed? Seeing as it's a Boat trailer I'd put the relay of the Anderson Plug as close to the Battery as convenient. That way you don't have the Hi Current wiring powered near the wet stuff even tho the lights are waterproof

·
Registered
645 Posts
Here's just a rough diagram for those interested. Sorry but my mouse drawings in paint are not fantastic, but I think you would get the idea.
Trailer.jpg

edit: sorry drawn before I knew it was a boat trailer. but the priciples the same.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Cool...

How do you intend signalling the relay on the boat trailer? ... Thru Pin 2 of the Trailer Plug?

As I mentioned, if the relay is in the vehicle then you don't need a seperate signalling circuit wired thru the 7 Pin Plug... just a thought

·
Premium Member
24,696 Posts

[If you loaned it to someone that has a brake controler it could be an issue.
[/QUOTE]

I mentioned that because Bates mentioned using that wire to supply power to the relay.

If I was to do it I would use the battery on my trailer and the reverse wire as the trigger.;)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If I was to do it I would use the battery on my trailer and the reverse wire as the trigger.;)[/QUOTE]

Absolutely... Me too if it was a Camper or a Van but his is a Boat Trailer

·
Registered
645 Posts
You would have to be careful that you don't breach ADR's, not that you would probably be caught, especially if you classify them as work lights.

As for earth, as long as the the reverse wire is definately earth returned to the anderson plug this should not be a problem. I'm assuming you don't was to drill into the metal, exposing a non galvanised area.

·
Over there somewhere...
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, they would be led worklights. It makes it a lot easier reversing the boat onto the ramp in the dark, or backing it down beside the shed at night.

I don't want to drill a galvanised area so I will return the earth to the car.

Thanks for your help Azza!

·
Banned
682 Posts
We just put the whole thing in the can't be bothered basket and use the deck lights on the boat for night reversing and that works a treat.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yep, thats what I was getting at... That'll work fine.

and Yes, run the earth back to the car via the Anderson Plug. If you don't then either all the current will travel thru the 7 Pin earth wire OR the lights won't work at all if the existing light earth is insulated from the trailer frame

1 - 20 of 23 Posts