Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some digging on here, and most info says that all the transfer cases are the same, except for the 4.8 which does not have the handbrake fitted. But, apparently the handbrake assembly will bolt on to that case. One of our old members, Jamie4800 posted some info on this a while back. He had a few different cases fitted to his 4.8 auto.

But with the help of @klappers, I have found out that his transfer case in his 4.8 auto, has the transfer case linkages bolted on the side of the transfer case. On my GQ, the transfer case linkages are bolted on to the gearbox, not the transfer.

Shortly I will be changing gearboxes, so this will be important. On all GU models are all transfer case linkages and shifter gate bolted on the transfer itself? I have a stuffed 4 speed auto, out of a GU I am told, and it has bolt holes on the side of it for the T case linkages. So it looks tome that there are some variations.

Any info will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have also seen a few pics of the GU RE4 auto and transfer bolted together, and that transfer shifter gate in my photo above is nowhere to be seen. So that part may not belong with that gearbox.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,520 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a GU gearbox needs to be mated with a GU transfer case. Bolt patterns and lengths etc may be the same, but the linkages are not.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,520 Posts
Looks like a GU gearbox needs to be mated with a GU transfer case. Bolt patterns and lengths etc may be the same, but the linkages are not.
Bugger

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, because my T case has been rebuilt, and it now creates extra work to do the conversion. The GQ and GU differ where the shifters are in relation to the gearbox, so I can get a GU case without too much expense, but I will need to make the shifter work in the GQ body.

I asked Wholesale Automatics if they had any modified parts they sold to allow the GQ case to be used, and they advised that they do not know of an RE5 box having been fitted into a GQ. So looks like I will just have to work it out as I go.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,520 Posts
Yes, because my T case has been rebuilt, and it now creates extra work to do the conversion. The GQ and GU differ where the shifters are in relation to the gearbox, so I can get a GU case without too much expense, but I will need to make the shifter work in the GQ body.

I asked Wholesale Automatics if they had any modified parts they sold to allow the GQ case to be used, and they advised that they do not know of an RE5 box having been fitted into a GQ. So looks like I will just have to work it out as I go.
Good luck bloke

·
Registered
nissan gq
331 Posts
I may have missed your point but my gq transfer went well onto a late model gu auto I just needed a gu gate bolted on.
Mine was only a RE4 not 5 though.

jim

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may have missed your point but my gq transfer went well onto a late model gu auto I just needed a gu gate bolted on.
Mine was only a RE4 not 5 though.

jim
Have another look at the photos Jim. The RE4 has mounting points for the transfer case linkages and shifter. The RE5 does not. It may be possible to adapt it, but it could also just be a big headache. If the pivot point id not just right it won't work. For the cost of a GU transfer case, and cutting and shutting the lever to suit the GQ, I think this is still the better option.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I can find out so far, the only variations in the GU transfer cases is with the 4.8 auto units that do not have the handbrake fitted, and also have a sensor to operate a "low range" dash light. And the handbrake assembly bolts on to that case if you had one. Apart from that, all other GU cases, manual and auto, 4.2 or 3L, appear to be the same. It would be nice if I could confirm this from someone that has swapped one to the other, as GU cases out of 3L auto are easy enough to get from the wreckers. But I have not seen any comment about any gear ratio differences etc so far.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,520 Posts
What cracks me up, and this isn't about the transfer, is that for years nobody wanted the RE5. Everyone said they are "weak" and not as good as the RE4. Well, haven't times changed. Wholesale autos are trying to stick them in everything. Everyone suddenly realised that they are a lovely smooth shifting box capable of handling power.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What cracks me up, and this isn't about the transfer, is that for years nobody wanted the RE5. Everyone said they are "weak" and not as good as the RE4. Well, haven't times changed. Wholesale autos are trying to stick them in everything. Everyone suddenly realised that they are a lovely smooth shifting box capable of handling power.
If you do some googling for info on them, a lot of it is from the US, where the boxes appeared in numerous vehicles. And they are treated a bit like the RE4, with modified clutch packs and valve bodies being common for owners wanting to run more power and torque. And they get to a point where they cannot go any further. That is pretty good though, about 400hp with modified boxes. Their limit is the electronics controlling shifts etc.

BUT (it is a big but), between 2000 and 2002 Jatco made a version of the RE5 that had an external TCU. This is the box that Nissan used for the Patrol. Not sure if it was in anything in the US. But if you run an aftermarket programmable TCU, then no mods are needed at all. Even if you have the box stripped down, there is still basically no point. The aftermarket computer can do anything better than any other mod.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,520 Posts
If you do some googling for info on them, a lot of it is from the US, where the boxes appeared in numerous vehicles. And they are treated a bit like the RE4, with modified clutch packs and valve bodies being common for owners wanting to run more power and torque. And they get to a point where they cannot go any further. That is pretty good though, about 400hp with modified boxes. Their limit is the electronics controlling shifts etc.

BUT (it is a big but), between 2000 and 2002 Jatco made a version of the RE5 that had an external TCU. This is the box that Nissan used for the Patrol. Not sure if it was in anything in the US. But if you run an aftermarket programmable TCU, then no mods are needed at all. Even if you have the box stripped down, there is still basically no point. The aftermarket computer can do anything better than any other mod.

Yes I know. I'm well aware of the US and Level 10 etc etc. It's just funny how it took so long to catch on over here

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Talked to a local auto business today, about getting my box a strip down to replace any worn bits. Worth doing in my view, so I dropped it off to him. His comment in regards to the internal was that it is a good strong box, and no mods needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts