Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
The workshop manual for the Y62 says that the transfer case is sealed and non-serviceable. Only the oil level can be checked. It goes on to say that if the oil needs changing, then Consult III must be used. Why is this? What is it about dropping the oil that would need ConsultIII?
I'd like to change the oil at some stage as I don't believe in this "Sealed for the life of the vehicle" crap.

Any info appreciated.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,997 Posts
There is a recent thread in here that discussed the transfer case anomaly, this may contain info your after.

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that. It doesnt really answer my question regarding ConsultIII being required just to change out the oil.

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might dig deeper in the manuals. I love a challenge, I'm always asking why!

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after a short time browsing the manual I've learned that using ConsultIII, the transfer's ECU needs to have the "Oil deterioration Info" reset so that it can "Re-learn" and be "calibrated to the oils viscocity".
Now that begs the question, what would happen if the oil is changed (using genuine Nissan recommended oil) without performing this "recalibration"? The vehicle will have done 50,000 kms.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,283 Posts
They really are doing their best to lock out owners and private (non-dealer) workshops from servicing stuff.
It's not just nissan either.

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too right! And it's a way of keeping service costs down too.
A lot of it is smoke and mirrors. In their servicing procedures for the transfer case for example, under a red WARNING, the statement reads "The Transfer Oil is not to be replaced as part of a normal service". It also goes on to say that Genuine oil must be used, which is fair enough, but it then says that (if the oil has been changed)... "special procedures using CONSULT III must be carried out".
I can understand that if there is a big step change the oils viscosity the ECU should be reset so it can re-learn its parameters, but if the oil is changed out regulary, there should be no need to reset the ECU.
Change it out every 40-50K and it should be happy days for a very long time.

Reactions: warthog

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
dont give hoggy any ideas, once he works out he can do a lot of maintenance him self he will cross to the high life side..lol

its proper silly really, i mean how the hell isnt it servicable when it was obviously assembled dry and oiled and installed.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,283 Posts
I would probably own one for the wife if I had more money Simmy. I haven't though, so she'll have to make do with her territory wagon and I'll keep the GU.
It aint just Nissan attempting to lock out non-dealer servicing however. [email protected] all seem to try to keep some of the software and/or hardware to themselves from what I've heard.
Your Dad would know more I guess if he is still in the trade.

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
The part that amuses me is..Genuine Nissan Oil.. Nissan make Vehicles not refine oil.Nissan dealers use products from normal suppliers eg Castrol,Shell,Penrite etc that comply with the vehicle specs.Yes,they also have oil packaged with their brand which is available for retail sale. Yep it is all smoke and mirrors.
You only need to look at the companies who have extended the warranties from 3 years to what ever. Obviously a ploy to keep you getting the vehicle serviced by the dealer in a climate where profits on the new vehicles are diminishing.

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A bit of info for interested parties on the topic of transfer case oil changes..
$54.30 +GST per L for this compatible oil when the Genuine Nissan oil for the ATX90A case (p.n KLD22-00001) is priced at over $160 per L.

RAVENOL Transfer Fluid TF-0870 oil
RAVENOL Transfer Fluid TF-0870 - Ravenol

Reactions: Wogy

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
A bit of info for interested parties on the topic of transfer case oil changes..
$54.30 +GST per L for this compatible oil when the Genuine Nissan oil for the ATX90A case (p.n KLD22-00001) is priced at over $160 per L.

RAVENOL Transfer Fluid TF-087

Anyone tried the Ravenol ?

·
Registered
106 Posts

Bang on mate, I use that shyt in my wife's Porsche Cayenne S 4.5 V8. Its 17 years old, has 146K on the clock and runs alike a dream. I drive it on the beach, drive it FLAT out and it runs like a dream. I go up to Double Island Point, Rainbow Beach etc and it runs awesome. Has low range, diff locks and a higher ground clearance than an L200 out the box!

I change oil every 12 months or 10k (engine) and the tranny and diffs all get oil every 40k. No questions, no dealer wankers and no excuses. This approach on my Amarok (sold) Audi's (A8, S8) Touareg's, (V6, V8 and V10) has all given me great reliability and awesome performance. Yes it costs more, and back in the day I was one of the many uninformed peeps lining up at the dealer to buy their "snake" oil.

A bit off topic - Here's a break down of what I saved on the Cayenne:

Oil service - did it myself (tricky, it has TWO drain plugs, sneaky Germans Lol) dealer wanted 1200. I did it for less than 200.
Replace rear struts on the glass and rear door (Cayenne has awesome split system) dealer wanted 1500 a side plus parts. 4800. I did it for 350.
Replace front brakes and rotors n sensors. dealer wanted 2800, I did it for 900. (I did upgrade the brakes something serious though and Porsche brakes are the best in the business)
I could not do the tranny though, it requires a SUPER technical series of processes to refill. You have to have the oil at EXACTLY 40C or restart the whole process. That I will pay for.

Thanks for posting this on here, great information. When my Y62 gets to 25k, it will get a tranny change, and then every 40k after that. The very day after she leaves warranty I will do all my own stuff. (y):p

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,354 Posts
I could not do the tranny though, it requires a SUPER technical series of processes to refill. You have to have the oil at EXACTLY 40C or restart the whole process. That I will pay for.
50/50 chance that if you stuck a hidden camera under there and watched, the "Factory Certified Technician" would just drain and fill the gearbox and skip most of those super technical steps.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Bang on mate, I use that shyt in my wife's Porsche Cayenne S 4.5 V8. Its 17 years old, has 146K on the clock and runs alike a dream. I drive it on the beach, drive it FLAT out and it runs like a dream. I go up to Double Island Point, Rainbow Beach etc and it runs awesome. Has low range, diff locks and a higher ground clearance than an L200 out the box!

I change oil every 12 months or 10k (engine) and the tranny and diffs all get oil every 40k. No questions, no dealer wankers and no excuses. This approach on my Amarok (sold) Audi's (A8, S8) Touareg's, (V6, V8 and V10) has all given me great reliability and awesome performance. Yes it costs more, and back in the day I was one of the many uninformed peeps lining up at the dealer to buy their "snake" oil.

A bit off topic - Here's a break down of what I saved on the Cayenne:

Oil service - did it myself (tricky, it has TWO drain plugs, sneaky Germans Lol) dealer wanted 1200. I did it for less than 200.
Replace rear struts on the glass and rear door (Cayenne has awesome split system) dealer wanted 1500 a side plus parts. 4800. I did it for 350.
Replace front brakes and rotors n sensors. dealer wanted 2800, I did it for 900. (I did upgrade the brakes something serious though and Porsche brakes are the best in the business)

Thanks for posting this on here, great information. When my Y62 gets to 25k, it will get a tranny change, and then every 40k after that. The very day after she leaves warranty I will do all my own stuff. (y):p
Will you use Ravenol in your transfer ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts