Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay just wondering am I able to swap my gq rd28 transfer case to a gu rd28 box .. I'm hoping so then the gear transfer stick will match up ..

·
Registered
2003 GUIII - TD27T
53 Posts
Yes it will bolt up to the box, but the GU shifter won't work with the GQ transfer, the cotter pin slot in the shift shaft is in a different spot, roughly 60-70 degrees out.
Also the GU detent plate for the transfer shifter won't swap over the as GQ transfer doesn't have the mounting lugs for it.
as the GQ detent plate is mounted to the gearbox.

The GQ transfer also has the 4wd switch where the GU detent plate would bolt to,
the 4wd switch is further back in a different spot on the GU transfer.

i think you can use all the GQ transfer linkage and shifter and the stick ends up in roughly the same spot though.
the GU box still has the mounting lugs for the GQ linkage shifter plates/detent plates etc.

i'm currently doing another conversion in a GU with a GQ transfer on the back of an RD28 box,
was told it was a GU box, but can't really tell as it's got a ZD30 navara bellhousing on it.

the gearset looked a little different to the last GQ rd28 box i had apart, so i think it is a GU box.

Here's a pic with the GU shifter on top of the GQ transfer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it will bolt up to the box, but the GU shifter won't work with the GQ transfer, the cotter pin slot in the shift shaft is in a different spot, roughly 60-70 degrees out.
Also the GU detent plate for the transfer shifter won't swap over the as GQ transfer doesn't have the mounting lugs for it.
as the GQ detent plate is mounted to the gearbox.

The GQ transfer also has the 4wd switch where the GU detent plate would bolt to,
the 4wd switch is further back in a different spot on the GU transfer.

i think you can use all the GQ transfer linkage and shifter and the stick ends up in roughly the same spot though.
the GU box still has the mounting lugs for the GQ linkage shifter plates/detent plates etc.

i'm currently doing another conversion in a GU with a GQ transfer on the back of an RD28 box,
was told it was a GU box, but can't really tell as it's got a ZD30 navara bellhousing on it.

the gearset looked a little different to the last GQ rd28 box i had apart, so i think it is a GU box.

Here's a pic with the GU shifter on top of the GQ transfer. View attachment 514345
Thanks heaps .Hay just a quick question. I only have to undo all the bolts around the transfer case to split it of the box . I think it's about 10 or so bolt ..

·
Registered
2003 GUIII - TD27T
53 Posts
Thanks heaps .Hay just a quick question. I only have to undo all the bolts around the transfer case to split it of the box . I think it's about 10 or so bolt ..
14 bolts, it's the junction just behind the main gearshifter and gearbox mounts,
but in front of where the transfer shift shaft comes out the side of the transfer.
you can even see a fresh bead of goo in the above pic.

Don't forget to drain the gearbox oil, the transfer seals up the back of the box..

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,056 Posts
I was going to mention to drain the gearbox first. The place that fitted my reduction gears hadn't pulled the transfer ccase off a 2.8 before & ended up with all the gearbox oil all over his workshop floor. All othe patrols have a seal at the back of the gearbox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to mention to drain the gearbox first. The place that fitted my reduction gears hadn't pulled the transfer ccase off a 2.8 before & ended up with all the gearbox oil all over his workshop floor. All othe patrols have a seal at the back of the gearbox.
  1. Funny you mention that ..because I would of thought that the place were I got my gearbox would of drained it to remove it ..but I was wrong and now the mother in law has a lovely stain on her garage floor ..:unsure::oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts