Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys , been a while . Hope everyone is doing well.

Can you adapt another GB or automatic transmission to the transfercase? With the divorced transfer case (t100) you can another complete engine and transmission and mostly no worries but I've never heard of anyone doing what I asked with regards to the t130 TC. (Adapter plate, change of internals , etc)

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,102 Posts
It may be possible, I don't think it will be easy though. The transfer and transmission are mated in the factory set up. A front plate/adapter would need to be made, and the input shaft suitably modified - extended, replaced, drive flange installed etc.
In that case, additional transmission mounts may be required as well if the transfer and transmission are no longer bolted to each other.

Reactions: dougla36

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be possible, I don't think it will be easy though. The transfer and transmission are mated in the factory set up. A front plate/adapter would need to be made, and the input shaft suitably modified - extended, replaced, drive flange installed etc.
In that case, additional transmission mounts may be required as well if the transfer and transmission are no longer bolted to each other.
I'm honestly fed up of trying to get a divorced transfer case. The ridiculous prices . Normally the most you were expected to pay was 1000TT now some fellas are hyping up the prices to 4000TT. So I want to take a look at making an adapter. Machining the parts isn't hard to access so I may go that way. Engine and transmissions (gb/auto) aren't hard to get. I was hoping to see if anyone did it here to bounce ideas abit.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,102 Posts
The T100 divorced case gets talked up a bit over here too, I think mainly because its fairly rare more than anything else.

Unfortunately a lot of the guys who used to play around with MQ and MK don't really visit this site much anymore.
But if you went for something like a Chevy small block and auto, that would be shorter than an SD33 and 5 speed, so you'd have a bit of room underneath to get an adapter and drive flange made for the transfer case.

Reactions: dougla36

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The T100 divorced case gets talked up a bit over here too, I think mainly because its fairly rare more than anything else.

Unfortunately a lot of the guys who used to play around with MQ and MK don't really visit this site much anymore.
But if you went for something like a Chevy small block and auto, that would be shorter than an SD33 and 5 speed, so you'd have a bit of room underneath to get an adapter and drive flange made for the transfer case.
I realise I don't see the usual suspects anymore. They will come back again , maybe. Rb engines easier to get . That is why I want to go the rb transmission route (Trinidad and Tobago)

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
847 Posts
I realise I don't see the usual suspects anymore. They will come back again , maybe. Rb engines easier to get . That is why I want to go the rb transmission route (Trinidad and Tobago)
I replaced the L28 with 3 speed auto to T100 transfer with a RB25 NEO motor. Although the RB is around 80mm shorter than the L28, the biggest problem is the short length of either the maunual or auto boxes between the engine and the T100. Remember there is a small tail shaft between the gearbox and the T100 transfer. So options for different gearboxes are limited. Moving the transfer back is possible. I fit the RWD 4 speed auto gearbox from the Skyline in there, but that means shorter tail shaft at the back and longer at the front, not mentioning the gearbox computer and wiring. New problem, front tail shaft now gets too close to the front cross member. So removed the 4 speed auto and put the 3 speed shorty auto back. Now everything is back where it should be, perfect fit except, the L28/RB bell housing is out by around 15 degrees and it requires a few holes enlarged/moved to fit. Now because you rotated the auto box, the gearbox oil pan get very very close to the front tail shaft... Then there is the problem of the gear ratios on the auto are way too high, 80km/h in 1st without even hitting the rev limiter.....

So now I am looking at alternatives and one possibility that may fit in the space between the RB and the T100, is the D21 Navara 2.4 petrol 5 speed gearbox. Apparently it bolts up to the RB. If I can only find one..... Or try to find a MK 5 speed petrol gearbox. 🤪

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the L28 with 3 speed auto to T100 transfer with a RB25 NEO motor. Although the RB is around 80mm shorter than the L28, the biggest problem is the short length of either the maunual or auto boxes between the engine and the T100. Remember there is a small tail shaft between the gearbox and the T100 transfer. So options for different gearboxes are limited. Moving the transfer back is possible. I fit the RWD 4 speed auto gearbox from the Skyline in there, but that means shorter tail shaft at the back and longer at the front, not mentioning the gearbox computer and wiring. New problem, front tail shaft now gets too close to the front cross member. So removed the 4 speed auto and put the 3 speed shorty auto back. Now everything is back where it should be, perfect fit except, the L28/RB bell housing is out by around 15 degrees and it requires a few holes enlarged/moved to fit. Now because you rotated the auto box, the gearbox oil pan get very very close to the front tail shaft... Then there is the problem of the gear ratios on the auto are way too high, 80km/h in 1st without even hitting the rev limiter.....

So now I am looking at alternatives and one possibility that may fit in the space between the RB and the T100, is the D21 Navara 2.4 petrol 5 speed gearbox. Apparently it bolts up to the RB. If I can only find one..... Or try to find a MK 5 speed petrol gearbox. 🤪
Wait what? 80km on first gear? Are preparing to take off? Rb parts here are common place. Most Nissan engines that are popular (rb,Sr,vg,l,ld,TD,qd . . .) are available here but sometimes you bounce up idiots that want to overdo it with prices. And there are those who will buy cheap part and try to hold a monopoly on it. But I'm looking for an adapter first for the t130 , then a rb25 gearbox .

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
847 Posts
How about an RD28 Patrol gearbox and transfer? The RB will bolt up straight to it.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,102 Posts
Rd28 ? Under 110 horses? Nah the p40 is about 140+hp with a weber
I think Johan meant just the gearbox and transfer, not the engine. RD28s are not commonly recommended as an engine to swap into a vehicle lol.
But as Johan said they do have the same bellhousing pattern as an RB engine, so one could be swapped in.

RD gearbox/transfer was used in some 260, Y60 and Y61 though, so centre rear transfer output instead of RH offset like 160.

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think Johan meant just the gearbox and transfer, not the engine. RD28s are not commonly recommended as an engine to swap into a vehicle lol.
But as Johan said they do have the same bellhousing pattern as an RB engine, so one could be swapped in.

RD gearbox/transfer was used in some 260, Y60 and Y61 though, so centre rear transfer output instead of RH offset like 160.
Ohhhh my bad . I will check it out . The rd28 is usually used as diesels for the c33/34 diesel options.

The rd28 gearbox with transfer case can take jamming?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts