Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
NISSAN SAFARI 4.2D
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've bought Trangso Shift kit for my nissan safari Y60, now my mechanic of gearbox is repairing it and i told him to fit this Shift Kit Too.. but:
He told me that didn't know how to fit and afraids something go wrong, because valve body needs drilling and not sure how and where to do and afraids. As i knew fitting of it is simple and not difficult. Now i told him to fit simple parts, (springs and etc) that don't need drilling, but he told me that this way gearbox brain may work unpurpose.

Can anybody advice me, how to do? I don't want to harm something.. I'm very confused :( :(

I wonder if anybody has Installing instructions

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
I just Googled "Transgo instructions" and there are even videos there of how to do it. Good Luck!

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Hushta,

The holes that need to be drilled are in the valve body metering plate. There should be fitting instructions and diagrams in the kit including the drill bits, but if not let me know and I’ll post a picture of the instructions for you.

·
Registered
NISSAN SAFARI 4.2D
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Chaz
Yes it has instructions, but mechanic was afraid, he told me that he had never done such thing :(
Now i've already completed gearbox repair and in future i'm going to install this kit myself if possible, or ask other mechanic.

This mechanic is very good, but my gearbox had serious problems, (no kick down, no torque converter lock up, damaged solenoid and etc.) that's why he wasn't sure that this kit would work properly.

P.S. By the way, torque converter lock up solenoid was damaged, can it couse the "kick down" problem?? (gearbox wasn't doing "kick down")

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Hushta,

Yes, a damaged or leaking solenoid can cause the converter clutch to stop working. If it leaks, very little or no pressure will reach the clutch piston and there will be no clamping of the clutch. If there are other internal leaks, the transmission can slip excessively which will cause it to burn out of driven and can cause all sorts of problems including no kick down.

It must be overhauled and the solenoid pack replaced, but also check the Throttle Position Sensor for correct adjustment, which could be a factor in the kick down issue. Fitting a TransGo Kit should improve its life and durability.

·
Registered
NISSAN SAFARI 4.2D
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chaz,

Today i finished repairing.
Result is awful :( in rear gear it makes vibration, and on high rpm it stops moving, probably rear gear frictions start burn :(
No kick down again.
I drove an hour and ATF came from airline, may be oil goes hot.
Torque converter is new, friction compleqct is new, whole repair kit. + damaged solenoid had been changed.

Now i wonder what is the problem :( may be the valve body?

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Hi Hushta,

Not good news! It sounds like either one of your clutch packs are too tight or a sprag could be binding. There could be a number of causes including low pressure. First thing is to put a pressure gauge on the trans and check the line pressure. This could also be a TPS issue considering you have no kick down.
Valve body leaks can reduce line pressure and cause similar problems.

·
Registered
NISSAN SAFARI 4.2D
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chaz, yesterday i installed my friend's TCU and TSP on my car, then installed my's on his car but no change. And my friend's car still did everything ok, kick down and good gear changeings too. So i excuded TCU and TSP, but this problems could be caused by electricity cables too, yeah?

Now my mechanic told that problem should be in valve body, not inside gearbox, how do you think?
I tell again, what was transmission before repairing, it is the same now :(
No kick down, no torque convertor lock up, transmission makes little slip from 1 to 2 gear, (but did a bit more before repair), overheating problem again + rear gear vibration (which it hadn't before) :(
Mechanic tells that 1-2 gear slip and rear gear vibration is caused by the same reason (i don't think so).

Now another question, this transgo shift kit has 4 gasket, 4th of them are different. Which one i must use? (in instruction was written that i must use the gaskets that don't cover holes) but why need these two other gaskets which covers holes?
This is the photo:

p.s. Chaz i apologise for disturbing you and great thanks for help!!

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Hushta,

The kit is supplied with 2 sets of gaskets because this kit is for 2 transmissions that are slightly different. The RE4R01A for Pathfinder / 200SX and the heavy duty version, RE4R03A that the Patrol and Infinity uses. You need the gaskets that don’t cover any holes.

It is very hard to diagnose without testing the car, but you should use a pressure gauge to measure the pressures in each gear to try and find the fault or you can possibly use diagnostic software or the TCU fault codes. It’s possible that you are loosing pressure somewhere for some reason or possibly one of the valves in the valve body is stuck and not moving.

There are many possible causes, but it is fairly common when some small piece of clutch material finds itself in a spool valve and jams the valve so it can’t move. Auto transmissions have very close valve tolerances, so it only takes something as small as a hair or fibre to jam up a valve body. This can cause the transmission to try to be in 2 gears at once, which can cause vibration and quickly over heat. The solution is to disassemble the valve body if you think that is the problem and clean all the parts, making sure that the valves move easily in their cylinders and spools. Also, you should test all the valves and operation of the clutch pistons and clutches with air pressure as you assemble each component. Even some parts of the valve body can be tested with an air hose to help find any leaks in the system.

·
Registered
NISSAN SAFARI 4.2D
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi Chaz, today i saw my valve body, mechanic was right, gasket's were strange. Their holes didn't coincided too correct. Now he will try Transtec gaskets from Shift kit.
In two days it will be finished and i'll see how it work on new gaskets and then at last put shift kit.
But, before this i want to write about how did it shifting gears before repair (and after repair again) to found out a problem at last. I want to know where to look it for.

1. When i put in D position, it starts with 1st gear but soon on 2000rpm it changes to 2 (no demand how i push gas), then seems that it returns in 1st gear and puts in 2nd again, but it happens very fast you see.. during driving (no demand in what gear it has) when i push gas pedal full it has no change, no kick down, continious moving with the same gear. It changes gaers only when i slow down moving (seems hydraulic problem yeah?)

2. Now i tell something strange, i disconnected TPS from wire and it made alarm gear changes, BUT!! in this way it made kick down when i pushed gas on click, drops in low gears and don't changes it until 4000rpm, then turns into next gear and continious until i have foot on gas.... ???? as soon as i connect TPS and no click down again.

3. ..and another fact, at the time when i've disconnected TPS, it locks torque converter in 4th gear, but when i connect TPS, it never locks up.

Now how do you think, it seems the problem of electric wires or valve body hydraulic leaking??

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Hi Hushta,
This seems very strange! It could possibly still be a TPS problem, but not in the TPS itself. It should have an off throttle switch and a full throttle switch as well as the position sensor. Perhaps there could be some mixup in the wiring or a faulty switch. The problem could be hydraulic if the pressure is too low. This isn’t very hard to check although I would suspect that if it was low, the car wouldn’t drive at all or slip considerably.
If you know that you have the wrong gaskets, you need to change them first and hopefully that will fix the problems. Let us know how you go.
Cheers,

·
Registered
NISSAN SAFARI 4.2D
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Chaz
It should have an off throttle switch and a full throttle switch as well as the position sensor
In >>full throttle switch<< - you meant button under accelerator pedal??
If yes it has, but its strange that it works only when TPS is disconnected.

What do you think about speed sensors? (if it has), revolution sensors or may be a resistor??
(By the way, which pressure drop resistor do you advice me to install? 25W 2200`ohm ?)

·
Registered
NISSAN SAFARI 4.2D
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Chaz, today i moved my monster : )
So, valve body gaskets had been changed and rear gear is better, but not excelent, need's checking, but it will do my mechanic.

Now about main problem: shifting front gears. In D position it has very good start. Pushing on a brake, at the same time start moving in D and 36" tires goes a bit slipping on asphalt. Shifting is good in all gears, but no kick down and no lock up after 4th speed.
We did such thing: uninstalled TPS from mount (wires kept connected) and turned it's range in full throttle position. Start moving, no kick down by the TPS again!! but in full throttle and clicking accelerator on click it made kick down and engine went till 4000rpm, then changed gears.

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Hushta,

I’m not very familiar with the Y60, but isn’t the TPS on the injection pump? So the full throttle and off throttle switches are still near the pedal. Perhaps the relationship between them isn’t set up correctly or one is faulty. I would check that the switches are working correctly with an ohm meter or volt meter first. Also, check that the signal from the TPS and switches are getting to the TCU. It’s possible that this problem isn’t related to the transmission itself, particularly if the transmission operates ok manually.

If you have the TransGo Kit fitted, I would just use a 1K ohm line pressure dropping resistor (15 to 20 watt is ok) to improve the 2 – 3 shift and increase the line pressure a bit. That’s what I have done and it shifts well.

·
Registered
NISSAN SAFARI 4.2D
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chaz,
I’m not very familiar with the Y60, but isn’t the TPS on the injection pump?
yes it is.
It’s possible that this problem isn’t related to the transmission itself, particularly if the transmission operates ok manually.
yes, manually everything is ok.

If you have the TransGo Kit fitted, I would just use a 1K ohm line pressure dropping resistor (15 to 20 watt is ok) to improve the 2 – 3 shift and increase the line pressure a bit. That’s what I have done and it shifts well.
These days i'm going to install TransGo kit. By the way, in TransGo kit instruction is written to drill plate with bigger drill if you have car with turbo or nitrous, what would be if i do this? would result be worse on stock TD42?? :rolleyes:

I've read in your older posts, you did 2000ohm resistor and i thought it would be better, so you prefer 1000ohm yeah? i want to have super result.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts