Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lads

So I’m trying to diagnose what exactly went wrong with my 2003 zd30 di (manual)

I was driving down the road when my abs light came on. I pulled down a side street and just as I was about to park up a loud thud came from the middle of the car.
The car turns on but in any gear with the handbrake off, releasing the clutch does not stall the car and the car does not move forwards or backwards. This is with or without the break pedal engaged. However the car does stall when the hand break is on and the clutch is released. When in 4H and 4L all gears work and the car seems to operate as normal
I’ve have drained the rear dif oil and there were no metals shards

Next step is have a mechanic look at it but I thought I would ask around first. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,767 Posts
Hmmmm! Transfer case? You said noise came from middle of car, drop the auto oil out of that and have a look. Would be unusual but you never know.

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
274 Posts
Hmmmm! Transfer case? You said noise came from middle of car, drop the auto oil out of that and have a look. Would be unusual but you never know.
For the car to not operate in 2H but work in 4H/4L, I was thinking more the rear diff, but not sure why abs light would come on. Do you have an LSD or locker in the rear diff? if not maybe a broken axle? Jack the rear wheels off the ground. try to turn both rear wheels. If it's an open centre diff the when you turn one wheel the other should turn the opposite direction. Also while the wheels are up give them a wiggle up and down and see if there is any movement.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,985 Posts
With the car on the ground,gears in neutral,wheels chocked,and handbrake off try to turn the rear tailshaft,if so the problem is in the diff/axle,a sheared pinion shaft will show the symptoms you describe,with little or no trash in the oil. 💩
Is the ABS sensor on the rear diff input ? or the hubs ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts