Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i have been planning this conversion for along time. I am in the middle of it now. I was just wondering if anyone would like one if i can make it work properly?

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,145 Posts
What advantages do you think it will have over the factory box?

·
Doing It My Way
nissan
1,774 Posts
I have thought of that same conversion , but more along the lines of if I converted to a Cummins to save the Alison expense. I don't know if it would hold up behind a hot Cummins but I reckon it would handle a tuff 42..I have a
tremec 6sp in my FPV F6 and they'll handle some huge hp & toque . A lot less weight to spin as well.

·
Registered
nissan
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
extra gear Plus will make conversions easier. I am trialling ba turbo engines and ls motors with the six speed so i will be selling engine mounts and the gearbox adaptors as well. It also enables a better rear gear 4.88 or similar for wheelin while still getting good economy from the tall sixth gear.

·
Registered
nissan
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could look at the cummins if you would like. There are gear set upgrades that would allow it to live behind a cummins

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
School me, what's a tremec and how much?
Simplified version ;)

·
Registered
nissan
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the six speed transmission used in commodores falcons vipers corvettes. mustangs.
has a double overdrive gear set and alot of easier and stronger options for conversions. makes it easier to setup for computers for speed reading as well.
Not sure yet if it will be viable but am going to give it a good crack.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,145 Posts
I forgot the newer versions were 6 speed. That would be handy.

I put a taller fifth gear in my Patrol box which is excellent most of the time, but occasionally the standard gear would be better. Having a sixth gear would avoid that problem.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Copy that, count me and the old man in(both with td's) once evwrything is ironed out and price becomes firmish!
A 6 speed auto would be an instant stiffy!!!

·
Registered
nissan
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah i am hoping by june or july to have prototye finished and running for quality testing and endurance testing as well. Will keep everyone updated as well. The later boxes have a shorter fifth and sixth as well so i will be testing both boxes with rpm and fuel economy. Will be in a tb42e at first though. I will make the adaptor for the td as well

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
I think you'll be very disappointed only having a 2.66:1 first gear. Even with 4.88s it'll be tough to get moving. I've only ever seen one adapted to a transfer case on the net, but it used a corvette tailhousing which is different due to their transaxle setup.

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
Good luck though. It's great to see people on the forum innovating and building new things. I hope process goes well.

·
Registered
nissan
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Zook. I am not sure if it will work either. That is why i will do alot of durability testing and endurance testing before i offer it to anyone. I plan on having one with ls1 a tb and maybe if funds will stretch an xr6 turbo as well. have to actually make it function first though. there are alot of little hurdles to get through. I contacted marks to buy one and they don't do it and reckon it cant be done. I also have been in contact with advance adaptors and they say it cant be done either. Though i also asked nine years ago about getting a duramax in a gu and they said it couldnt be done so i will take my chances

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
have you spoken to any of the castlemaine mob such as Rod Hadfield or Simon Muntz? (there's also jeff dellow, but I've discovered through personal experience that Rod and Simon are far better to deal with and far more open to ideas)

·
Doing It My Way
nissan
1,774 Posts
Thanks Zook. I am not sure if it will work either. That is why i will do alot of durability testing and endurance testing before i offer it to anyone. I plan on having one with ls1 a tb and maybe if funds will stretch an xr6 turbo as well. have to actually make it function first though. there are alot of little hurdles to get through. I contacted marks to buy one and they don't do it and reckon it cant be done. I also have been in contact with advance adaptors and they say it cant be done either. Though i also asked nine years ago about getting a duramax in a gu and they said it couldnt be done so i will take my chances
Sounds like the challenge is on .

·
Registered
nissan
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nah i am just gonna do it myself. I have some really neat ideas that i am gonna try as well. Will update more when it all works

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
No, 6sp Manual! You know auto's are like [email protected]# holes, every one's got one and they all go to s#$ t in the end. :D
Poo... If I had 6 gears it would be an auto. Driving the misses 6speed manual corolla is busy enough. I'm getting old(31) and would love my td to be an auto. A 'built' auto would surely last 2-300k wouldn't it?
While I can see the benefit of shorter gearing and the 6th to drop highway rpms, it just does not appeal to me.
Good luck with it all though rodder76, it's good to see people thinking outside the box!

·
Registered
nissan
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey simcoe down the track I will look at six speed auto as well. Just starting with the t56 first. Don't want to try to much on at once.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts