Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Heading to S.A for beach driving over easter.
Staying at Millecent , beach driving to beachport/ Robe and other fun!
P.M with any interest
Catching up with people with local knowedge would also be good.:D

·
Registered
963 Posts
ill be there, should be a good trip !

Lots of good company, and lots of refreshments.

:coffeeti:

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Your better off if possible to stay in Beachport.
Then do Robe with Wokewine on the way back one day and Carpenters Rocks and playin on the dunes the next day..

How are the tides going to be this easter? Our last trip was all high tides early in the morning :(

You wont need local knowledge, the tourist centers all have maps, all the tracks have markings on them that are on the maps.

·
Registered
963 Posts
maps....where we are going we dont need....maps....

Millicent is all booked, no staying in beachport.

only reason local knowledge would be good is for a bit of fun, and so that we build relationships with others in the area for future trips etc.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Hi guys,
Heading to S.A for beach driving over easter.
Staying at Millecent , beach driving to beachport/ Robe and other fun!
P.M with any interest
Catching up with people with local knowedge would also be good.:D
Stay on formed and marked tracks and dont leave rubbish ;)
DEH and Marine Parks are watching this area closely as it's been abused in the past. It came close to a lot of the area's being closed off last year.
There's my 'local' knowledge for ya :)

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
I am the local club secretary, next meeting is next Monday night, pm me some details, I will raise it for you. The maps and 4wd pack that is available at the Tourist centres was produced by one of our guys, useful info as well as the tracks, please stay on them where possible, that way we keep the parks open. Easter is a very busy time in the dunes, and its possible the Buggy Club will be operating, so take care around their Club tracks, head on with a 100km/hr buggy wouldnt be nice. Beaches are still good, but 4 weeks is a long time on our beaches things change quickly.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Stay on formed and marked tracks and dont leave rubbish ;)
DEH and Marine Parks are watching this area closely as it's been abused in the past. It came close to a lot of the area's being closed off last year.
There's my 'local' knowledge for ya :)

You can rest assured we will be doing the right thing. We are members of the Portland Dune Buggy Club, and know all too well how the likes of Parks etc work.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
As shantillylais said, the maps made by her club are the ones issued (for free) for 4wders at the Beachport tourist info centre in A4 or A5 and are pretty good with all the info you need.
Was down there early Feb for the weekend and some very soft parts on narrow parts the beach closer to Carpenter Rocks lighthouse. 3 in our club got bogged but got them going again.
Watch out for narrow 'steep' parts along the beach. They are the ones that will get you.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
As shantillylais said, the maps made by her club are the ones issued (for free) for 4wders at the Beachport tourist info centre in A4 or A5 and are pretty good with all the info you need.
x eleventybillion.

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been over a few times myself & had a great time,
Beachport & Robe are very busy this time of year.
I found a nice little caravan park in millicent i've stayed at a few times,
I'm surprised not more people stay there as it is so central to everything.
Thanks for the feedback guy,s.
Shantillylais PM sent.

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
Beachport Cons Park/Beach Euro point

Hi ****, pm sent.

To others who may be contemplating coming over, at our Club meeting tonight, it was reported that there has recently (read last 3 weeks) been a fair bit of damage in the parks, with posts / fences deliberately removed / broken off / run down, so be aware that all your vehicles need to be road registered, because there will be a heavy presence of DEH officers and Police with rego and over the top mods is the first thing they target, the officers are local people and p***** off at the possible closure if damage continues.
Some of the guide posts for the tracks are a bit hard to see with quite large sand drifts almost at the tops of some posts, particularly in the Southend area.
There is one particular point of interest that is the beach entry exit at the Euro Point has washed away. We have had some pretty high tides, and the drop is quite steep at the moment. I changes from day to day, and there is no way around the euro, its on the beach or over the top, which will test a lot of peoples driving skills and knowledge eg tyre pressures. believe it or not, most people we try to rescue havent let their tyres down. Our Club will be doing a working bee next Sunday to see what can be done for an alternate track at the Euro Hill.

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
its between the 5 mile sand hill and the buggy club south boundary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts