Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,
Major disasters here on my end, I tried a few things to fix the problem, got parts replaced that have been faulty but still having the same problem that the truck (1998 GU td42 non factory turbo) doesn't start randomly.

New starter motor
Checked Alternator
Recently head to replaced cylinder had

Motor did not and still doesn't start randomly.
Just before one Mechanic replaced the cylinder head, another Mechanic said that he did take of the cap of clutch master cylinder and the car started again.
It didn't work for me the last time.
I can still clutch start it.
Mechanic thinks its somehow vacuum related, but cant narrow it down any further yet.
I just read an article mentioning problems with the diesel fuel shut-off valve, but that article was GQ related. Maybe that same problem can happen with my GU too?
After I just got the head replaced, theres simply no money left to see the mechanic trying to track the issue down by replacing one part after another.
Did anyone had the same problem? Any ideas how to narrow things down, myself ?
Please !
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
"Just before one Mechanic replaced the cylinder head, another Mechanic said that he did take of the cap of clutch master cylinder and the car started again."

Now I've heard everything!! How could taking the cap off the clutch master cylinder help a car to start?????

Mate, we need more information. How old is your battery, when were your injectors last serviced, when did you last change your fuel filter....

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Not sure how injectors or fuel filter could give random starting failure, but as for the master clutch cap. Maybe the mechanic lent on a loose battery terminal connection taking it off LOL. Sounds like a load of bull to me. Maybe he will suggest to take off the front left wheel, put it back on and it will fix the problem.

As Burra and I said. More info needed.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To all of you,
thanks a lot for your time and readiness to help.
Just to give you an idea of what kind of hopelessness you're dealing with here.
My mechanical skills aren't going much further than checking the oil and I'm new to the forum.

To your question:
When the "not starting" situation comes up, it doesn't even crank. All I hear one single "klick"
noise.
All lights on the dashboard are on as usual & the voltmeter/monitor thats permanently hooked
up to the battery is reading 12.8 V for the starter battery.
The starter battery is only a month old.
I didn't get the injectors done since I got the truck about 5-6 years ago and I cant tell if they ever got serviced before.
The engine is a second hand one with supposedly 270 000 on the clock.
Since the engine conversion from 2.8 to a 4.2 about 3 years ago, I've been changing the oil
filters very close to the 5000 km mark each time.
Before a compression test diagnosed the stuffed cylinder head, the non stating problem was there already. When I found out about the head, I thought that maybe that broken head had
something to do with the not starting problem.
But now that the head is replaced, the problem is there. Damn.
The Head has been done by Autosport Engineering in Kirawee. I got to see the old head and the crack in it. They replace a few hoses, did a grate job on a custom dump pipe & put her on their dyno. As mentioned, my mechanical knowledge is close to zero, but I can tell you, if the bloody
thing starts at all, she's running like a dream.
Now, before the new head, I had to hook up with a new mechanic when the not starting thing came up first.
First diagnose of the nrma, that mechanic and some others was the starter motor.
Starter motor done, things fine for a few day, and there we go again.
Mechanic said that the starter motor was definitely gone.
Anyway I asked him to check on the new one.
He said he pulled it out and checked it. All good.
But the starter battery is gone. Well get f.....
To be fair that battery was about 5y old , and sometimes needed 2 attempts to get it started.
But it still worked. Anyway, maybe sudden death, whatever, I replaced it.
The alternator got checked, and passed. Of we go, and a couple days later same same.
A, only difference this time, the head is gone.
Thats when I got her over to the bloke who's been taking over my mate worksop. He did the compression test and recommended the boys from Autosport Engineering to get it done.
Disaster.
The man who did the stater motor & first said the head is gone, was the one who said he took of the cap of the master cylinder tank & got her started again, when she was playing up at his
place.
As I've said, I tried it twice already and it didn't work for me.
I talk to him the other day again and he thinks there is some vacuum related problem and therefore refers to the clutch which is supposedly heaps stiff.
You got any thoughts regarding that vacuum topic? (Not the one in my wallet)
Also,did you ever hear of diesel shut of valve problems with GU's ?
I'll check the earth on my battery tomo morning since you mentioned that.
Again, thanks a lot for your time guys.
Cheers

Malte

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,120 Posts
HI mate, you have had some bad luck, I have the 4.2 with 300.000km on the clock and had the same problem as you.
The problem was the ignition switch is getting old as so is the wiring to the starter somewhere.
Start by putting the thing in neutral, then turn key to start untill it does its random not start and leave the key switched on.
Then grab a 4mm square wire and go from + on battery to the small wire on starter motor,
It should fire up, if so there is your problem.

If no cant help you but I would bet my right nut thats what it is.

I will tell you how to fix it if you find thats the problem or you can get a new ignition switch but my way is under $10.00.

cheers DD.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Mate I fear you have been taken for a bit of a ride. This sounds like an electrical starting issue not an engine issue. If your engine was low on compression due to a cracked head or what ever, it would still turn over fine. Not just a starter motor solenoid click. If it was a vacumm issue, same deal. Fuel solenoid problems will stop the engine from starting for sure, but won't stop it from turning over. If you are getting a starter motor solenoid click, and it is a new strater motor it must be an issue with the power the starter motor is getting. There could be a couple of reasons for this. I would definitely be checking and probably replacing your battery earth lead for starters. Doesn't cost much at all and is a simple job. Also check the lead to battery connectors. Was your battery still reading a healthy voltage after that couple of days before it stopped turning over again. Just trying to rule out the alternator.

·
i like it dirty
nissan patrol
1,325 Posts
My td42 wouldnt start on thursday, turned out where my earth cable was connected to the engine it was dirty, go and clean your earth connections and see how you go.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still can't believe how many of you have been putting your time & effort in helping me out on this one. Thanks ! Good on you ! Great forum !
I been going through all your posts and after all followed Dirt Devils advice first.
Which was the following:
" HI mate, you have had some bad luck, I have the 4.2 with 300.000km on the clock and had the same problem as you.
The problem was the ignition switch is getting old as so is the wiring to the starter somewhere.
Start by putting the thing in neutral, then turn key to start untill it does its random not start and leave the key switched on.
Then grab a 4mm square wire and go from + on battery to the small wire on starter motor,
It should fire up, if so there is your problem.

If no cant help you but I would bet my right nut thats what it is.

I will tell you how to fix it if you find thats the problem or you can get a new ignition switch but my way is under $10.00. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------
It worked. I only got the not starting scenario to happen once yet. But I hope its enough to follow your hint Dirt Devil. Whenever you got a minute, could you please let me know how you've fixed the problem?
For now I keep that wire wrapped around my neck. Much better than having to look for hills to park on top of, for clutch starts, all the time.
I got a black cable with a yellow line on it, about 15mm diameter, running from the negative terminal to the bottom of the battery tray & from there to the engine. Thats the earth right?
I'll definitely clean the connections on that cable too.
You guys reckon I can keep the old earth, if dirt devils fix is doing the trick?
It's got its first 20mm from the terminal on, exposed. The rest of the housing looks all right to me.

Again big thanks to all of you.

Cheers, Malte

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,120 Posts
Hi mate, glad I could help. There is a fault in the wire or connection somewhere between the key and the starter motor. You could spend a week trying to find it with not luck, so my suggestion is to forget about it and run a new wire from ignition to starter motor via a relay.

You will need to find the wire at the ignition that activates the starter relay,( Im sure someone will tell you what colour it is ) I will have a look tomorrow and let you know.
You need to join a wire to that wire from ignition and run it into the engine bay to or around your battery area. you need a 70 amp relay and some heavy wire about 4mm square.

you join the wire from the ignition you have just run to the relay on terminal marked 86, then run a wire from 85 to the neg. of the battery.
You then run the heavy wire from the pos. of the battery to 30, (you should have a fuse between the pos. of the battery to the relay but I did not bother) Now run some more heavy wire from 87 to the small wire on the starter motor. ( dont need to take starter motor out for this but disconnect battery before trying to hook up to the starter motor.)

should be ok to go from there, just connect battery up again and try.
I left my relay on the top of the battery as the hole in the relay fits on the battery tie down bolt and keeps it nice and tight.

cheers DD.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
11,999 Posts
Great advice and info, another topic bookmarked for the day I might need it :)

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Great advice Dirt Devil. Didn't think I'd ever need to hot wire this vehicle but there you go.
Malte still inspect and clean those earth battery connections and cables. Yes the black with the yellow stipe is the one your after.
Good luck.
This forum is good for help. Even though we can't help ourselves at times. LOL:D;):D

·
Registered
nissan gu
8 Posts
Malte had the same issue on a 2000 wagon and my problem was the fuel cut-off solenoid would activate and not switch off .The motor will spin over but because of no fuel will not fire .The fix requires taking the fuel pump off to get to the solenoid which can be bought at any large auto leccies. Also another one with the same symptons is the chip in the st key (red plastic)can come loose or fall out then she no go full stop .:headwall: hope you get it sorted mate.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,188 Posts
Motor did not and still doesn't start randomly.
Just before one Mechanic replaced the cylinder head, another Mechanic said that he did take of the cap of clutch master cylinder and the car started again.

Thanks a lot
WTF? :shock: :headwall:
Foo

·
Registered
nissan gu
8 Posts
My apologies Simmo I had exactly the same symptoms and it took Nissan 4 goes to find the fault which was the faulty pump solenoid on a td4.2t 2000 st wagon and yes they went down the ignition route as well .So if the hot wire doesn't work that's what I would look at.

Next time I'll have another coffee and read the thread properly .Now next job stock the beer fridge cheers.:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts