Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Quite a bad accident. But unfortunately, for the sport, one that had to happen. Design of racing cars changed a lot after that incident, and many others, for the better.

Like anything though, you do it with a certain amount of risk, and if your hurtling around a track in a reasonably weak race car with a napalm bomb behind you, s*** is going to happen sooner or later.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Couldnt imagine what was going through his head watching a competitor in that situation. There is no doubt the other drivers lapping past would have seen his efforts, I dont think they would have slept well that night. I think it was Lowndes at Calder about 15 years ago flipped the car in a major way and seeing all competitors stop and get out of their cars was fantastic to watch.

Modern circuit racing is safer than ever namely due to current cars, HANS and good gravel traps and tyre barriers. Those guys back then were genuine maniacs in how and what they drove.

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Couldnt imagine what was going through his head watching a competitor in that situation. There is no doubt the other drivers lapping past would have seen his efforts, I dont think they would have slept well that night. I think it was Lowndes at Calder about 15 years ago flipped the car in a major way and seeing all competitors stop and get out of their cars was fantastic to watch.
That was great to see,thats how it should be can't beleave people are more interested in winning a race.Probably only would have taken another 3 or 4 drivers to stop and it would have all ok.

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
watched 2min that was enough

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
I miss possam bourne :(

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Words fail me. Heroism and callousness.

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
**** that was sad, poor david purley trying to get him out.

Turns out that purley dies in 1985 at the age of 40 in his own aerobics plane.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts