Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'd like to thank members of this forum for helping me out in fitting a 'No Limits' tuning chip to my 2005 3.0L Nissan Turbo GU automatic.

Now this not one of the common rail turbos that you read about, so the chip was not a simple plug and play but had to be wired in to the ECM and the fuel pump.

The instructions from 'No Limits' in Germany were very poor but I have to hand it to them, they actually took a pump out of a vehicle, photographed it on the bench and sent me the photo to me to show me which o fthe 4 wires to attach the chip to, so good for them!

The chip cost me $149. Yes that's right just $149 - not very expensive so I figured if it didn't work I didn't have too much to lose and the alternative was nearly $1,000. After a couple of weeks of too-ing and fro-ing I managed to fit it (I have no knuckles left) and I have to say that it has transformed the vehicle. So far the fuel economy doesn't seem to have been too adversely effected and I would say that it is delivering close to the 33% improved performance claimed. Is a cheap alternative to other chips offered and ultimately you probably get what you pay for but for me it does the business.

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
2005 patrol "No limit chip"

Just recieved my no limit chip and my injector pump also has 4 wires. Could you please enlighten me as to which one of the wires I connect to, Cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
I to have purchased the same chip from Germany after chatting to a fella who fitted one recently. He was extremely happy with the results. Unfortunatley I am in the same boat as you, my injector pump is different to what the installation diagram shows. Anyway I was wondering if you could enlighten me as to which of the four wires I connect to. Cheers, DnA.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,080 Posts
Does this German company do a common rail version?

Cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
Thanks for your reply Nigeldad. 10 Minutes after I recieved an email from No Limits with the picture you mentioned. It's spot on and as they say "A picture tells a thousand words" All going well I'll fit the final wire this afternoon.

Hi Viper, yes they do and from what I can gather its a hell of a lot easier to install (Plug and play). This is the link to the site Diesel Power Chip Module NISSAN PATROL 3.0 L | eBay

·
Registered
nissan/st
25 Posts
Hey Guys,
I installed one of these NO LIMITS tuning chips in my 2006 GU about 12 months ago.
I thought it went great!!, the extra power was very noticable, never really found it to give me better fuel figures though.

i then found a resonably priced STEINBAUER chip ($700) and installed it last month, have done a few km's with it (towing a camper trailer) and found that i would be happier with the cheaper NO LIMIT chip.

The Steinbauer doesnt seem to spool as quick as the no limit.
The EGTs are about the same, really have to watch the hills as the temperture really sneaks up.
Both chips are able to be tuned.

Basically if you are thinking of trying the No limit chip i say go for it, you have nothing to loose.

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
Gareth is your motor a Common Rail or the last of the DI's if a DI are oyu interested in selling it as I have a 2005 DI

Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
Just completed fitting the last wire to the injector pump and test ran the car. My vehicle is a 2005 3L Di, blocked EGR, backed off boost, fitted with gas (set at 23%) and catch can. I completed installing the "No Limit" chip, reset the ECU and turned off the gas. Upon starting, the car ran reasonably rough which I put down to the ECU recalibrating itself. I then took it for a drive, instantly the power increase was very noticeable but so was the erratic throttle response. The power increase was great but unfortuantely as I put the foot down the EGT's (Exhaust gas temperatures) increased rapidly. Normally the car never went above approximately 450 to 500, now it easily reached 600. This is indicative of over fuelling. Another side effect was that the turbo boost pressure also increased. Basically at 100kmh the boost would normally sit between 5 & 10psi (cruising), now it sat between 10 and 15psi, not that boost pressure was responsible for the erratic throttle response. With the car sitting idle the engine was smooth, but if you tried to hold the the revs any higher the engine would hunt badly. To err on the side of caution I cut the power to the chip for now and have contacted the techs at "No limit". I will post there response. I know of two people that have fitted these chips and are more than happy. Anyway just my two cents worth. Cheers DnA.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just completed fitting the last wire to the injector pump and test ran the car. My vehicle is a 2005 3L Di, blocked EGR, backed off boost, fitted with gas (set at 23%) and catch can. I completed installing the "No Limit" chip, reset the ECU and turned off the gas. Upon starting, the car ran reasonably rough which I put down to the ECU recalibrating itself. I then took it for a drive, instantly the power increase was very noticeable but so was the erratic throttle response. The power increase was great but unfortuantely as I put the foot down the EGT's (Exhaust gas temperatures) increased rapidly. Normally the car never went above approximately 450 to 500, now it easily reached 600. This is indicative of over fuelling. Another side effect was that the turbo boost pressure also increased. Basically at 100kmh the boost would normally sit between 5 & 10psi (cruising), now it sat between 10 and 15psi, not that boost pressure was responsible for the erratic throttle response. With the car sitting idle the engine was smooth, but if you tried to hold the the revs any higher the engine would hunt badly. To err on the side of caution I cut the power to the chip for now and have contacted the techs at "No limit". I will post there response. I know of two people that have fitted these chips and are more than happy. Anyway just my two cents worth. Cheers DnA.

How did you go with No Limits and their reply? I am very interested in one of these chips and have heard nothing but good things.

Mick

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ive been doing some reading. It seems with the chip fitted to the DI, some people have found the EGT'S getting up around the 700C mark. Mine, with NADS and a bigger exhaust, towing a massive trailer, have not gone over 500C. With, and correct me if I am wrong, 700c being the limit, wouldn't this chip be pushing the limits of the motor?

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
Sorry about the delay. The original supplied wiring diagram was not correct. Its taken a while to chase up the correct wiring instructions and a schematic of the ECU. I'll be completing the rewire on Saturday (15/10/11).

Hi GUMick, I agree, constant 700 post turbo EGT's would not be good. Personally I won't be to concerned if I end up with temp spikes of 600 at full noise. Ive heard that a 3" exhaust drops your EGT's by approximately 50 degrees, I'll cross that bridge if I have to.

Roll on Saturday morning.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sorry about the delay. The original supplied wiring diagram was not correct. Its taken a while to chase up the correct wiring instructions and a schematic of the ECU. I'll be completing the rewire on Saturday (15/10/11).

Hi GUMick, I agree, constant 700 post turbo EGT's would not be good. Personally I won't be to concerned if I end up with temp spikes of 600 at full noise. Ive heard that a 3" exhaust drops your EGT's by approximately 50 degrees, I'll cross that bridge if I have to.

Roll on Saturday morning.

Please let us know how you go DnA. I have the instructions they sent, but they are a bit hard to understand. Would you be willing to share what they sent you?

Mick

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
Woo Hoo, finally have the wiring all sorted out and I'm absolutely ecstatic with the results. I now have the same performance without running the gas injection. The engine pulls hard and is smooth through the whole range. EGT's peaked between 600 & 650, high revs, full noise. I'm not concerned at all, under normal driving conditions the EGT's sat between 300 & 400.

More than happy to share all the info I've got.

Not sure if I've done this the best way but the site file upload sizes are limited. Anyway I created a free file hosting account with Fileden and uploaded all the docs and pics. I put all the links on a text document which I've uploaded to here. Theoretically you should be able to copy each link, paste it in your browser address, hit enter and your done. If anyone knows of a better way please advise me. Cheers DnA.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
It works just fine DnA, thanks. What setting have you found your happy with. The chip is adjustable?

Mick

·
Registered
Nissan
12 Posts
The jumper pin was preset to the middle. I'll have a play with the other 6 settings at a later stage.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,080 Posts
Cheers for the info DnA, when I got the coin, I will let you know how the CRD one goes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks again DnA. Time to get off annual leave and do some overtime to get one on the way.

·
Registered
nissan
338 Posts
Thanks for your reply Nigeldad. 10 Minutes after I recieved an email from No Limits with the picture you mentioned. It's spot on and as they say "A picture tells a thousand words" All going well I'll fit the final wire this afternoon.

Hi Viper, yes they do and from what I can gather its a hell of a lot easier to install (Plug and play). This is the link to the site Diesel Power Chip Module NISSAN PATROL 3.0 L | eBay
I have no problem finding the Common Rail chip (DCI), but looked several times over the last months and can't see any Di versions on their web site? Am I blind? Also, can you post up the pic of the pump, that would be ever so helpful in advance!! Still happy with it? I gotta say there is so much info on the various chips that i am confused. Do the 1k plus versions do any more than the cheaper units like this one????? Help people. Lets see this pic of the pump;) Just had a look and I did actually send them an email yolks ago. They sent me instructions, but shows only 2 wires for the pump? I guess this is the instructions that are not right?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts