Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm over in Afghanistan at the moment and have purchased everything online or had it posted home to do the NADS on my 2005 GU. I've read all Chaz's posts, visited his website, read the reference doc, lotsa good work and easy to understand. I have a week when I get home in just over a months time to do it all before the wifes holidays start so need to be finished by then or I'll have my testicles removed if she has to sit around while I tinker. So I have done the mods a million times thinking them through, dreamt them, printed all the docs for reference etc etc to be prepared.

This will probably be very self evident when I can stick my head under the bonnet but does anybody have any pics or info describing adjusting the turbo actuator arm when setting dawes and needle valve. I can't find any further info on the web and can't seem to place it from memory on the turbo itself. I'm also guessing that I won't have to touch the VNT screw when fitting the EGR blocking plate as the needle and dawes valve will take this into account?

For info this is what I will be doing prior to heading from Adelaide up Kimberly way:

Do NADS
Replace leaking radiator (quick fix in the top end last October)
Fit 2 x 100W solar panels to roof rack and wire up
Extend rood rack mounted spotties to - minimise reflection on bonnet and windscreen and make more room so solar panels don't take too much room up
Full service
Install springs and shocks for 2 inch lift
Fit flexi flares that have been sitting in shed for 12 months (it is a DX)
New Goodyear 265/75 16 duratracs
Install auberins pyro and boost guages (first up)
Install UHF (have hand held GME 6100 in car kit at present)

I think that is about it for the Patrol. Have to fit out the new boat next, but that will be a labour of love :D

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,365 Posts
99% of the time, you do not have to adjust the accuator screw. (Never adjust the arm!!!)
Set the maximum boost using the Dawes valve then set the spoolup rate with the needle valve.
Once you start doing it you will realise how simple it realy is. :)

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,934 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,934 Posts
Yes quite a few have over time but it is problematic, especially if someone adjusts both you can completely lose the plot and take a very long time to get back to square one.

In simple terms the VNT rod adjusts boost at the higher level and the VNT screw adjusts the low level spool and boost with about 1/2 turn being the most you would need. There have been several threads on regaining control after an adjustment, one last year went for over 200 posts.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,934 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Hadn't realised there was an album.

I'm still guessing that I wouldn't need to touch the VNT screw if adding the needle valve for spool up control. Or is it required as a 'coarse' adjustment to set spool up rate so the needle valve can do finer adjustments?
Rule of thumb for needle valve/VNT Grub screw setting: 3-4th gear accelerating through 1500rpm with a reasonable load the boost gauge should read 5-6psi continuing to 2000rpm you should see 10-12psi, if considerably higher then adjust the needle valve, adjusting the VNT grub screw may remove the need for needle valve adjustment, as in my case, but the needle is still handy to have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts