·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
It will also trap water and mud and crud. Same reason we don't install muffler wrap on a 4wd. Lift the rear of your bonnet, install a bonnet scoop.... or 2.

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
I looked into this a while ago. I came to the conclusion it would be better to make up a shield from steel ect as this will not have such a drastic effect on cool down times.

Also it is def not a good idea unless you have a water cooled turbo/turbo timer. As it could cause the oil to cook after the engine shuts down and oil stops circulating.

·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I didn't think about mud!

Trying to find some heat resistant shielding to wall off the aux battery from the turbo/exhaust.

I will check out the raising of the rear of the hood, first thought was a bonnet vent but this sounds easier and cheaper to start with.

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Plenty of plastic out there.
Do some research, find some plastic and have it bent to shape.
Most passenger car batteries are in a plastic 'box' to protect them from heat - why bother with steel when it will just soak up the heat anyway.

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
Fab up an alloy heat shield if you just want to protect the battery.
Otherwise some $$$ ceramic coating on the dump pipe & rear housing will lower underbonnet temps...

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
Have a turbo blanket on my top mount turbo. Was concerned about the heat from turbo affecting my 2nd battery. Seem to work well.

I am not to concerned about mud etc up that high. If I am that deep in the [email protected]#t then having mud around my turbo is the least of my worries.
As for the cool down time just set your turbo timer a little longer if you are that concerned.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What iv use in the past is the side cut out of a "square-ish" 20lt drum the ones
use for truck wash and stuff.
Just cut it out with a bend to suit the backside of the battery closest to the turbo.
stick on some kind of heat tape/cover and mount it.

We also used to put a 2.5/3" hose to this on the taxis we used to
look after, as they run 24/7 they never used to get a good run from
battreis because of heat build up.

Cheers Ian.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It will also trap water and mud and crud. Same reason we don't install muffler wrap on a 4wd. Lift the rear of your bonnet, install a bonnet scoop.... or 2

Is it better to raise the bonnet or fit a scoop?
I was under the impression that the "factory" design is to direct
air under the vehical.

Cheers Ian.

·
Registered
nissan
113 Posts
I have a turbo beanie on my water/oil low mount turbo as well as a alloy heat shield for the exhaust manifold which i think was a thermo-tec product.

Definatley noticed a difference in engine bay temps, things are not perishing from heat but then i don't go looking for mud to bogg it in so i'm unaware of the drawbacks in that department.

·
Registered
nissan
53 Posts
gday,
ive been running a beanie for quite a while and had no dramas, but i always let it cool down after a hard run. After a big run with exhaust temps still high you can put your hand on the cover without burning yourself. Something to consider if your running a high mount and air to air cooler. As far as mud goes it washes off quite easily. my 2c worth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts