Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to turbo the GQ TD42 it is setup as a tourer with 35s and all the usual barwork etc. It will usually be towing trailers @ 100 kph for hours on end.
I am looking at a GT3071 ar .64, I know the Gt28 turbos will boost earlier but generally have higher EGTs further up the rev range particularly under load with the constant higher speeds, I figure the bigger turbo will be easier to keep the EGTs under control.
Any comments guys as I am trying to make a reliable machine capable of towing for hours and still be able to play when I get there.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Go talk to Mark at JPC, also talk to Matt at United Diesel in Perth, they both make custom turbos for the TD42, one is based on the GT28, one is based on the TD05. I would seriously consider the TD05 based turbo though, as it seems to have a bit better design in terms of the bearing. But make up your own mind after talking to both these places.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
284 Posts
I have a gt2860rs on mine, 14 pound, and i pulled a trailer with another gq on it, so roughly 2 ton plus the trailer, i didnt see egt over 500 on a reasonable hill. egt drops pretty quickly if you ease off a little bit

·
Registered
378 Posts
i think you will have a lot of trouble making boost if you dont have a modified pump it will boost with an 11mm pump but it will be late in the revs i would think (this is my opinion as i have a gt2876r with an 11mm pump)

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,051 Posts
Out of interest, what diff ratios do you run?. With 35's and standard gearing ( if that's what you have), there is already alot of load on the driveline. If you are wanting a reliable tourer that will tow constantly you would want to lessen the load via correct ratio's which will increase torque. Load equals heat and loss of power, less load less heat more torque. Add one of the turbo's suggested above and you will have a very nice set up, very capable on and offroad. Or if you already have changed diff ratios, enjoy your turbo :)

cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts