Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

the turbo on my 2.8 GU seems to be leaking oil. A friend of mine is coming over in about 20 mins and we will try to inspect the turbo. His idea is to take it completely out and inspect it.

I had a quick look in the workshop manual and it looks like it might be a big job. Can anyone confirm that all these steps need to be done:

1) Drain engine coolant
2) Remove
- Air duct and hoses
- Air intake pipe
- EGR pipe
- Heat shield plates
- Intake manifold
- Front-exhaust tube
- Oil tube and water tube
3) Remove exhaust manifold with turbocharger from cylinder head
4) When installing turbocharger to exhaust manifold, securely tighten nuts and lock the nuts

If all the information above is correct. How long approx. are we looking at in order to get it out, inspect it and put it back in?

Are there any tips or things to keep in mind?

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
It's not just the oil return hose on the bottom of the turbo which is leaking is it?

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, we don't know yet. I would like to avoid the complete disassembly. We have installed an oil catch can hoping to stop black smoke and oil leaks in the turbo, but it looks like the turbo is still leaking despite the oil catch can doing an awesome job. So it looks like there is some other issue. Maybe a gasket OR cracked housing ... I don't know..

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
They wrote the manual to make it easy........ or so you'd take it to Nissans lol.
By the time you get the broken studs out, drink a slab and tidy up,, it's a days work.

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had to do all the steps as per manual. It took us about 6 hours just to get everything off.

·
Registered
Nissan
5 Posts
Inspection on my y61 rd28t turbo

Hey guys,
I live in the dominican republic, happy owner of a 2000 hardtop y61 but since 2 weeks ago, there is some white smoke coming from the exhaust each morning when doing cold start. Have 10 seconds smoke goes away, and if I keep turming it on/off while doing tasks everyday, no smoke 'til the next day. Took it to a Nissan repairshop and had it checked. Told me there was oil going through the turbo ( maybe a broken seal or something ) and rebuilding my not be cheap here. Anyone with knowledge to tell me, like I've been reading ToughDiesel writeups about the turbo exchange, and many others, which turbo to fit to replace mine. Rebuild kits on ebay for the rd28 t turbo say the are also for the gt2560. Is it the same turbo that my engine has? Can i just unscrew the old one and screw a gt2560 as a new one? I wNt a replacement turbo with one I can just exchange it because there is very difficult to get that many chips and tunning you talk about. Please help me 'cause I don't want to start losing my hope.
Ariel Santos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts