Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking at chucking a turbo on my ute because n/a life is disgusting, but the rules are apprently if it’s not factory turbo it’s not p plate legal, is there any way or around this or should I start looking into lift kits instead

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,166 Posts
Putting a turbo on a N/A diesel Patrol is not a problem for P platers in NSW unless they are able to magically turn it into something that could be considered high performance..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Putting a turbo on a N/A diesel Patrol is not a problem for P platers in NSW unless they are able to magically turn it into something that could be considered high performance..
[/QUO
A mate in his 2.8 hilux (aftermarket turboed) got done for it because it wasn’t factory turbo, I was just seeing if there’s a loophole guess it’s all on the cop who pulls you over

·
Registered
214 Posts
From NSW Light Vehicle Modifications - Roads and Maritime Services

Fitting of turbochargers or superchargers not originally offered by the engine or vehicle
manufacturer, or increasing the original power output by more than 20%.
Examples requiring certification:
• Fitting a turbocharger/supercharger to any vehicle of a make and model not offered
with a turbocharger/supercharger by the manufacturer.
• Modifications to a vehicle with a power output of 100 kilowatts, which results in a
power output of greater than 120 kilowatts.

In saying that the TD42 did have a factory turbo version unfortunately was not sold in Australia. Some Nissan Dealers did team up with Safari Turbos and offered a turbo option and sold and register it as a dealer option but not sure you could use this as proof.

I had to get a engineer report done when building my Troll which included a emission test and dyno test to prove that meet the requirements of no more than 20% cough cough, but in saying that I'm in VIC so NSW engineer may say something different.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,166 Posts
A mate in his 2.8 hilux (aftermarket turboed) got done for it because it wasn’t factory turbo,
The problem there was that engine never came with a factory turbo. GSM points out that the GQ TD42 came out of the factory with a turbo but it wasn't offered for sale in Australia as a new vehicle however many Safaris with factory turbo TD42s have come here as grey imports proving that they exist.

I had to get a engineer report done when building my Troll which included a emission test
Was your emission test just an idle test or a proper one on load? Who did it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
The problem there was that engine never came with a factory turbo. GSM points out that the GQ TD42 came out of the factory with a turbo but it wasn't offered for sale in Australia as a new vehicle however many Safaris with factory turbo TD42s have come here as grey imports proving that they exist.

Was your emission test just an idle test or a proper one on load? Who did it?
Had it done in Wagga Wagga by Denco Diesel and Turbo it's a full run test on a dyno here is a pic of mine

Emission Test 1.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
1,865 Posts
Disgusting ? strange way of putting it but your 85kw will go more places than some 150kw vehicles can go it's not all about power it's how you use what you have so while your young you'll learn a lot more going at a slower pace. If your keen to spend money get a 50mm lift kit for now and don't get bigger tyres or you'll slow it down even more. Hey it's got more power than a 60series Toyota 4.0 Ltr 2H and they were terrific off road with aftermarket suspension and 31" mud tyres with a cruising speed of 115kph.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
P platers in NSW are banned from driving vehicles that need to be approved by an engineer - power to weight ratio regardless.

This puts high lifts, GQ turbos and even long range fuel tanks out of scope for those on P1s and P2s (yep, LR tanks are now an engineering mod because there's the thought that the mounts might not be up to the strain, however if they were fitted before the change to the rules, you can get grandfathered).

The denco dealer fitted turbos on the Patrols have been proven time and time again to need engineering, which is annoying, given that they were fitted by the dealer before delivery, however I don't think second stage manufacturing was a thing back then, otherwise they could've probably used that loophole.

If you want a TD42T, as a P plater your only legal option is to get a GU or a grey import Safari GQ.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
5 Posts
So I’m looking at chucking a turbo on my ute because n/a life is disgusting, but the rules are apprently if it’s not factory turbo it’s not p plate legal, is there any way or around this or should I start looking into lift kits instead
I have taken my factory turbo & scoop off recently & fitted cross country inter cooler and upgraded turbo still have them in storage. that may be away around it.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,166 Posts
P platers in NSW are banned from driving vehicles that need to be approved by an engineer - power to weight ratio regardless.
So P-platers can't drive vehicles that have had a gas conversion? Do you have a link to the actual legislation? The link in your post only mentions high performance vehicles.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
So P-platers can't drive vehicles that have had a gas conversion? Do you have a link to the actual legislation? The link in your post only mentions high performance vehicles.
Fair enough, that page is poorly worded. This page is clearer:

Strapping a turbo onto a slug to turn it into snail (see what I did there) doesn't stop it from being "high performance" as you've increased the power to mass ratio and the increase required engineering certification.

One could try to argue that the item in VSI 6 relating to turbos only says that the vehicle had to be offered with that engine configuration in order to be ok - as the Safaris were offered with a TD42T, you should think you'd be ok, but I suspect that you'll get caught up in the issue of the vehicle having to be delivered to Australia in that configuration to be ok.

It's an argument you're definitely going to lose with the constable on the side of the road if they bring it up (some won't care) and will be very highly likely to lose when you go over the pits later on with a canary on the windscreen.

LPG conversions do not require engineering approval, per VSI 6 - Item 47

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,499 Posts
Fair enough, that page is poorly worded. This page is clearer:

It's an argument you're definitely going to lose with the constable on the side of the road if they bring it up (some won't care) and will be very highly likely to lose when you go over the pits later on with a canary on the windscreen.
This is true. My son was being grilled by an overzealous highway patrol officer. He was adamant that the turbo on his factory GUTD42T was aftermarket. After a fair bit of banter the HWP became unsure and finally relented. My son has his full license. A superior engineering sticker across the windscreen and a stainless snorkel is the new cop bait. I have repeatedly advised my son to get rid of the sticker and paint the snorkel black. But what would I know lol.

Some early GU TD42 came from the factory NA. Most were DX spec.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts