Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
TD42 converted GU
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after learning the hard way with my el'cheapo $100 ebay turbo manifold developing some major cracks, i find myself in need of a new turbo manifold. The dump pipe and intake plumbing are already suited to the hi-mount manifold so id like to keep with a similar design if possible. After a quick look on ebay i came accross this...

Nissan Safari Patrol 4 2L TD42 Y60 Stainless Turbo Manifold | eBay

It looks to be of almost identical design but obviously fabricated from stainless, the seller stated it was manufactured from grade 201 stainless (good or bad?). it looks fairly decent to me albeit a bit expensive, but id like some other opinions before i bite the bullet and make a purchase. I'm open to other manifold alternatives but would obviously like to minimise the effort in a changeover.

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
I Think you will find yourself down the same road as the cast iron manifold but even sooner than the cast one took. Stainless turbo manifolds are notorious for cracking, but at least there easier to weld i guess. Take a close look at the photos and you can see its thin wall tube maybe 2mm max, you would be better off with a steam pipe manifold fabbed to suit the same turbo position.
Also that price puts you in the realm of a quality cast iron manifold like DTS, but i doubt any of the big name high mount manifolds will position the turbo so you can reuse your intake and dump setup without modification.

·
Registered
Nissan
90 Posts
You will probably have to change your dump pipe regardless of whether you go high or low mount. Why not just go with a DTS low mount, which seems to set the standard for both performance and longevity? A low mount will give you more intercooling options and less extreme dump pipe bends. If you want to run an EWG, you can add a port the way Zoltan did with his.

·
Registered
TD42 converted GU
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for the input lads, looks like ill be steering clear of the ss manifold then,
thoughts on this one?

Scarles Exhaust Manifold TOP Mount Nissan Safari Patrol TD42 Diesel 3mm MILD | eBay

only problem i can see is that the t3 flange looks like it will be positioned rather close to the motor, and considering that my waste gate actuator is currently touching the tappet cover with my current setup, i have doubts about getting it to fit. would it be possible to pack the manifold out with another manifold flange?
Also if anyone has any pics of the denco high mount id appreciate seeing them, the photo on the denco website doesnt give me much to go off.

Lewis.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
You have good advice here but you are still looking at ebay crap. You have been burnt once

·
Registered
823 Posts
Please, what ever you do, stay away from steam pipe manifold designs. Cast is what you want. Well quality cast anyway
whats wrong with the steam pipe manifolds mate? I haven't had any probs with mine

·
Registered
Nissan
90 Posts
cheers for the input lads, looks like ill be steering clear of the ss manifold then,
thoughts on this one?

Scarles Exhaust Manifold TOP Mount Nissan Safari Patrol TD42 Diesel 3mm MILD | eBay

only problem i can see is that the t3 flange looks like it will be positioned rather close to the motor, and considering that my waste gate actuator is currently touching the tappet cover with my current setup, i have doubts about getting it to fit. would it be possible to pack the manifold out with another manifold flange?
Also if anyone has any pics of the denco high mount id appreciate seeing them, the photo on the denco website doesnt give me much to go off.

Lewis.
That unit costs just as much as the DTS units, and then your still stuck with the far less desirable high mount set up. Like I mentioned before, if you change your manifold, you'll have to either change or modify your dump pipe anyway. As for changing the plumbing from high to low mount, you will probably need a longer water supply line, possibly a longer oil supply line, the length of the water return line might need to be shortened, and the oil return hose would definitely need to be shortened.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
Denco, radius or other custom steam pipe or genuine are the only decent options. I went for the denco high mount as i got it at a good price. Good luck getting hold of radius fab

·
Registered
TD42 converted GU
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sent a message to radius yesterday but am yet to hear back from them, failing that I think I will go the denco, I like how the t3 flange is positioned further forward on the radius manifold though

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
Please stay away from the steam pipe manifolds....
Care to elaborate as that's twice now in one thread.

I still would rather a DTS cast manifold myself (both performance and cost)but someone has asked your thoughts on this.

Or are you referring to the tuned length style ones? Which certainly aren't recommended for a diesel application.

Also I'm a little confused as the op's link is for a td42 manifold but by his signature he has a turboed 4.5.....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
127 Posts
Hey guys, I was going to start a thread about turbo manifolds but decided to add to this one in the interest of reducing unwanted doubling up of info on this forum.

I've got that stainless steel manifold on my truck, had it for a year without any problems.
I've been told that the manifold isn't staggered (blanking plate in between the first three and last three cylinders) so it takes a bit longer for the turbo to spool up, and that's probably because of thicker pipes too.
Big fat extractors that flow well are great for naturally aspirated engines to scavenge exhaust gases but on a turbo you want the exhaust to spool up the turbo instead of sitting around in the manifold for a second or two.

Now, what's wrong with a custom steam pipe manifold? Other than the fact that it can be too think pipe. Where can I get a good one? And do you know anywhere I can get a DTS or similar low mount manifold? Most of these ebay ones are high mounts, so building an exhaust for it is a pain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts