Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure I need to do the head gasket on my 4.2. I would like to put a turbo on but not sure I can afford it just yet. Can I put on a Turbo Manifold and put a plate on the top until I can get a turbo? What manifold would people recomend to get here to Canada?

I think I will avoid the chinese turbo but maybe chinese manifold good enough. Will also be looking for a good west coast source for the bits and pieces.

Also if you do get a turbo and it fails is your truck out of commission until its replaced.

I dont know much about Turbos but I have read a ton of posts here

·
Registered
237 Posts
FOR Nissan Safari Patrol GQ 4 2L TD42 Y60 Y61 Turbo Exhuast Manifold RPF | eBay

Thats what I have, and so do some others. Nice manifold for the price (probably can find cheaper price, that was just a quick search on Ebay). Or a DTS manifold; depends if you want high or low mount turbo really.

But no dice for putting it on before hand, as you wont be able to connect it to the exhaust system until you have a turbo.

Best bet is to just wait until you are ready, replacing the head gasket now and putting a turbo manifold on later isn't that big of a chore. Cheers.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,781 Posts
Those are the same manifold.

Yukon, turbo in a petrol - lower compression ratio/pistons than non turbo and turbo raises the ratio back up.

Turbo in our TD42 - same compression ratio/pistons, essentially turbo helps engine breathe better unless you are tuning for big performance numbers.

Why do you think head gasket?

·
Registered
nissan
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my head gasket is leaking a bit. I am slowing loosing coolant, the coolant in overflow tank is not pretty- oily lookin and at times have a lot of whitesmoke that does clear up. I did put in some head gasket fix ( i know not good to use) and coolant loss went down.

I will be in Ottawa region next week andd neeed some parts and would love to see a turbo set up

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,781 Posts
Let me know your schedule. We will meet up. I think I have some of the bits you wanted. Life is a bit upside down lately.

I have a factory turbo LWB and all the bits (minus exhaust) for an aftermarket install on my 91.

Does sound like you need a head gasket. Be aware there is a specific head bolt loosening sequence in the FSm or can crack head.

·
Registered
Nissan
90 Posts
I'm using the same manifold as well. Bought it from Twinotter600 about 3 years ago, but just did the turbo conversion recently and have been running it for 4 1/2 months so far, and it has been fine.

The turbo is an HKS 2530 - basically a very nicely modified 2860 (with thanks to Nismo-152). I didn't like the designs of the T25-T3 adapters I saw, and since I wanted to run an EWG, I separately purchased a 2860 Turbine Housing with a T3 base, no wastegate port, and a 3" v-band flanged outlet.

While an EWG obviously not necessary for this set up, it is really nice to have, makes adjusting the max boost really easy, and is far simpler and more reliable than an IWG. I picked up a used Tial F38 from craigslist for just over $100, and am using an 8ish lb spring.

I've currently go the max boost set a 14 psi and will likely keep it there until I intercool it. A very noticeable improvement in power. I will get it tuned after the IC is added.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Hey GQ guy. Im happy to hear you got that turbo all hooked up!
Its actually the big brother to the 2530, the hks gtrs .64 ar. Throw up a sound bite when you get a chance too.

·
Registered
Nissan
90 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, nismo-152. From what I can determine this unit would have a compressor map similar to that of a TD05 18g. Does that sound about right?

If so, this unit has way more potential than I realized! Can't wait to intercool and add water/meth!. :D:D:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts