Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gday

i want to turbo my 1994 gq (TD42 motor) in the near future, was wondering what your opinions are as to what the best turbo setup would be. i was thinking garret but i have been told of some other good ones.

also when i get the turbo will i need to get lower compression pistons? will i have to change much?

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
May I suggest have a bit of s search first. There are literally billions of threads asking the exact same question. Then once you have read your eyeballs out come back here and ask some more questions

You won't need any different pistons. What sort of power figure do you have in your head. Pie e together yourself or kit form. Budget. Engine Milage can you do it yourself. Need a bit more info
Best if luck

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
turbotech i think is another brand, i saw a pic on here somewhere of one of their turbos someone was replacing a garret with it and it was huggge compared to the garret. i think 200kw at the wheels with 35s is a good number but thats gonna be expensive, and i dont wanna get a bigger fuel pump or anything like that thats gonna make the fuel consumption go thru the roof. 150 to 200kw will b good. i dont realy know how much is good but i just want it fukin powerfull and i would like boost 2 kick in before 1000rpm.

just wondering what some options are and some price figures. i also want to front mount intercool it. so any info on the best intercoolers would b good to

cheers fellas!

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
Alright for 150 to 200kw your talking probably 7-10g starting from scratch and chances are your engine will blow not to long after
How much money do you actually wanna spend.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
36 Posts
I spent eight and a half on a turbo, pump, clutch and front mount cooler. That's on a 02 wagon and it has 255 hp at the wheels with 285/75/16. Full boost at 1800 rpm. Not sure what kws that is. But have changed to water to air cooler and runs little cooler on the highway and in the higher egts

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just reading back thru my posts. ive said some really dumb sh,t haha!! :/

....anyway,
I've got my turbo kit all ready to go on. only started getting it 2 weeks ago haha that was defiantly not the 'near future' i was talking about! haha
anyway i have a t28 off a s14. high mount ebay manifold, all the gagues, lines, intake hoses etc ready to go on. my 105-200kw goal was absolutely ridicuas i have no idea what i was thinking. i don't know much when it comes to figures but i think i would be stoked to have 100kw when im done, without modifying anything els other than a slight turn of the fuel screw. its not a race car!
looking forward to getting it all going!

after two years of reading this forum and 2.5yrs of my mechanics apprenticeship behind me i actually know what im talking about now :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
just reading back thru my posts. ive said some really dumb sh,t haha!! :/

....anyway,
I've got my turbo kit all ready to go on. only started getting it 2 weeks ago haha that was defiantly not the 'near future' i was talking about! haha
anyway i have a t28 off a s14. high mount ebay manifold, all the gagues, lines, intake hoses etc ready to go on. my 105-200kw goal was absolutely ridicuas i have no idea what i was thinking. i don't know much when it comes to figures but i think i would be stoked to have 100kw when im done, without modifying anything els other than a slight turn of the fuel screw. its not a race car!
looking forward to getting it all going!

after two years of reading this forum and 2.5yrs of my mechanics apprenticeship behind me i actually know what im talking about now :)
I have no idea what spec turbo an s14 runs but I'm glad you finally got around to buying a turbo. Is that a ball bearing GT28?
If it took 2 years to buy it how long will it take you to fit it. :naughty:
Looking forward to the pics of write up of your install.

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
t2860, sleeve bearing. oil and water cooled. .64 turbine housing. A/R 60.
so its pretty much spot on i think. not for huge gains but a little bit more of a push:)
give it a month till im out of my sling (shoulder opp) then i rekon it will be done within the following month!.... hopefully. haha nah it will be!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,006 Posts
Yeah 2860 with a .63 housing is the go. Should spool up nice and early. Have you got a EGT gauge? If so, than a bit of playing with the pump and you should be able to get 14psi with a intercooler and that will get you up to 100kw.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Nice work mate. I was in the same boat when it came to power figures and diesels. Im used to seeing 200+ kw on all my cars and most of my mates cars, when I saw in this forum that people are spending up to 20g on a diesel and only getting 150-200kw I couldnt believe it. Now Ive read quite a lot of info and understand why they dont make power like a petrol engine but make up for it in torque.

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I was in a dream world a few years ago haha but a bit more knowledge now has me back on the right planet.

Ill be running an intercooler. I have all the gauges too:)
That would be pretty sweet to get 100kw. It's a bush baring turbo tho I thought I shouldn't put the boost too high over 12psi on them? Not sure where I heard that but I think that's what I was told.

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok awesome! Cheers for that. I don't think I will boost it to anything over 12. I'm just too scared ill hurt the old girl!

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
You might be confusing some of the older factory turbos that had ceramic turbine wheels and what happens if you spin them up too fast.

·
The Cable Guy
Nissan
4,775 Posts
Spinning the new garretts too fast also ends in tears... expensive tears. It's also an N/A engine, not sure what people say a safe boost level is for them, maybe 15 pound?

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My manifold was just dropped off and eager to have a look I put the turbo up to it and..... Wrong size:/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362984873.424438.jpg

It's a fair bit bigger!

Does this mean I need an adapter plate to go inbetween the turbo and manifold??

On the turbo Exhaust housing near the flange it says h1.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts