Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Hey this might be a silly question, but for the sake of protecting the turbo etc what maximum EGT temp would you consider is okay before I turned off the ignition from a drive ?
Ive kinda been working off 250 degrees maximum but maybe this is still too hot??
I dont have a turbo timer..

Your thoughts would be appreciated..

Cheers!

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i always waited till it reached 200 deg , normally only takes about 5 to 10 secs , but longer if climbing a mountain range and stopping at the top

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,638 Posts
I normally wait for the temp to drop below 250c.
200c is my preferred shutdown temp.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
I wait for about 220 to 240 to switch off then turbo timer is set on 1 minute so the EGT is below 200 by the time the turbo timer has switched off the engine.

I very loosely based it on the boiling point of oil sitting in the turbo.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
443 Posts
I probably wait too long. Ill leave it till 150 especially if its had a hard run

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there,

I shut down when the temp is 200 degrees or less. If you know you are going to stop, just take it easy for a minute or two before you stop driving and you'll be at approx 200 degrees when you stop.

150 would be a long wait................

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm okay folk, thanks for that, I think I will aim for the 200 or less mark then..
Thanks for the feedback ...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a turbo timer set to switch off after a minute, which was plenty for around down duties, but when it came to the beach or heavy loads, it took around 2 minutes to get to those levels
Regards
G

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I wait till EGT is below 200 Deg AND Coolant temp below 90 Deg.

I usually set the T Timer depending on what the vehicle has been doing but is mostly on 1 minute sometimes 2.

If the vehicle hasn't been working hard I usually see those temps within 10 to 15 seconds of pulling into the Shed and just press the "stop" button.

I reckon the one thing to remember is the EGT is exactly that, the temp of the exhaust gas and not just the temp of the Turbo so if the EGT temps have been really hot (say 450 to 550) then I let her run a little longer so you don't get a large temp spike from the heat soak in the engine (not just the Turbo) when the oil and coolant stop flowing.

Again, the EGT is telling you what is happening in the engine regarding combustion temps and engine load so letting the block, head, valves, injectors which will cool at different rates all stabilise at a cooler temp has gotta be a good thing IMHO... others may disagree

1 - 9 of 9 Posts