Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm hoping to take my shorty to the Cape next year and have found as I work it over it bit by bit that lots of bolts are frozen requiring drilling and ezi-outs and in some cases the hot spanner treatment to get them off. This is all fine and dandy in my workshop but after spending two days to do a suspension replacement (frozen shackle pins, bent U bolts etc) I have decided to pull most parts down and check them out and replace rusty bolds/nut/studs. (not the head by the way)
On the list is remove manifolds and turbo and check them out, are there any watch outs re the turbo???
I have never played with them and don't want to stuff anything up. (Are parts available ??, nothing in the service manual on turbo rebuild)
I saved this shorty from the wreckers but would have been better off getting something that had less owners who didn't give a flying f**k about looking after a good piece of machinery!

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Most 2nd hand old rusted turbo's have broken fans (or whatever that middle thing is). It's either broken or brittle, just watchout for that.

Seems like a nice buy mate, good luck :).

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,308 Posts
after 25 - 30 years of fourwheel driving, taking the beast into the bush, smashing it, especially towards the end, it really isn't a wonder how all the nuts/bolts have corroded together :rolleyes:

The turbo can be rebuilt, it's generally a good idea to get someone to do it for ya, but I know of people who have bought a rebuild kit and done it... The thing for me is that it's going to be spooling up to 50.000 rpms!! so making sure that all parts are put in right would be of my highest concern.

Having said that, the old turbo on the SD33T is OK, but by no means anything "special". There are replacement turbos on ebay from $350-ish bucks... Yeah yeah, I hear you all saying "don't buy Chinese SH|T", but at that price, I'm not sure you'd get the old turbo rebuilt and balanced for that kinda money?!? And more than likely, the turbo you buy at that kinda price, is pretty much the same if not slightly better than the stock turbo... 8)

Just my two cents

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The turbo can be rebuilt, it's generally a good idea to get someone to do it for ya, but I know of people who have bought a rebuild kit and done it...
Just my two cents
Thanks for that mate, I hope I won't have to rebuild it just clean everything up and put it back together again. It's spooling fine at present just I need to make sure it not going to be a weak link.
That's also the reason I am making up extended links for the stabiliser bar, 90% of my driving on my cape trip will be Sydney to Cairns, Cairns/Sydney.
Your opinion?? I have a 2" body and 2" spring lift does that equate to extending the sway bar links 4"?:headwall:

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
memory is hazy, but dont the swaybar links connect to chassis. that means the body lift doesnt effect them.
Thanks mate your right I was having one of those moments 2" it is!

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,308 Posts
LOL, I had to think about that one too, pulled off mine when I did the chassis swap, and never looked back

1 - 7 of 7 Posts