Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just wondering what size turbos people are running on there TB42s. what size exhaust housings?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
better all round performance.... iv got a GT3540 with the .86 rear on it wondering how it will perform

·
Registered
378 Posts
i have heard the turbo off a ba xr6 turbo is a good option for a tb42

·
Registered
nissan
103 Posts
The xr6 turbo is an excellent option so long as your engine is in great condition. The bore and stroke of the two engines (barra and tb42) are almost identical and have similar boost response characteristics.
Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
garrett gt35/82 is what i got on mine the internal wastgated one and it works great quick spool and pushing 17 psi threw it with a turbo smart 2 stage controler std wastgate is set at 11-12 psi

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
840 Posts
I see no reason why the TB42 would be incapable of eating a RB30.. CUBES. :) I think that the turbo that you have would be very close to right :)
While the TB is well know for reliability, so is the RB, except that the TB is a big heavy old push rod design versus the single/dual overhead cam design of the RB... The 4.8 motor is more than a match for the RB's but the good old TB42 cannot compete anymore Red line of 4500rpm vs 7000rpm? ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
4500? no way mine rev's to about 5200 before it hits limiter.

whats the old saying ???????????? No substitute for CUBES!!!!!!! Klappers is on the money :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
4500? no way mine rev's to about 5200 before it hits limiter.

whats the old saying ???????????? No substitute for CUBES!!!!!!! Klappers is on the money :)
If I am correct, the internals of the 4500 is lighter and not well suited to boost specially the conrods. The 4.2 does not handle high revs very well.... let's not go there! Bad memories :nono:
Yes, as the saying goes, nothing beats cubic inches.... except a turbo! ;)

·
Registered
Nissan
7,119 Posts
While the TB is well know for reliability, so is the RB, except that the TB is a big heavy old push rod design versus the single/dual overhead cam design of the RB... The 4.8 motor is more than a match for the RB's but the good old TB42 cannot compete anymore Red line of 4500rpm vs 7000rpm? ;)

Ok, lets think about this logically.. You have 2.5T of truck to try and push along. What you ACTUALLY want is TORQUE!!! And what gives you good TORQUE.. CUBES. The 4.2 will be much more comfortable to drive with a nice sized turbo on it then a RB30 will. You just cant ignore the fact that the 4.2 is 1.2L (give or take) bigger than the RB30. Regardless of what head or bottom end you put on it. Sure, the RB30 does rev and as such makes POWER. But this is not really what you are going to be chasing off road... I know which motor I would prefer on a daily basis.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ok, lets think about this logically.. You have 2.5T of truck to try and push along. What you ACTUALLY want is TORQUE!!! And what gives you good TORQUE.. CUBES. The 4.2 will be much more comfortable to drive with a nice sized turbo on it then a RB30 will. You just cant ignore the fact that the 4.2 is 1.2L (give or take) bigger than the RB30. Regardless of what head or bottom end you put on it. Sure, the RB30 does rev and as such makes POWER. But this is not really what you are going to be chasing off road... I know which motor I would prefer on a daily basis.
Agree with you, we want more torque for drivebility! The turbo will give more torque on both motors. Matching the turbo components will be the crucial thing in this build. It will be easier with the TD42 because of the smaller rev range. Ideally we want more torque from as low as 1500rpm with the turbo. Easier on the TB than he RB, but not impossible. Making BIG power more reliably I will put my money on the RB. But if you plan to build a mountain crawler out of a TB, I would ditch it all together and go the TD... ;)

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Plus rb30 engines are dirt cheap! I can pick em up for as little as a slab. I have 2 sitting in 2 wrecked vls in the shed, one with 155000ks and one with 190000ks. I went out in the mud on the weekend and all i have is cheap road tyres and a 2in sus and 2in body and a good exzorst but i went where every other car went and more, i was sitting on nearly 5500REVs everywhere but it loved it. I will say they where only hiluxs and naveras standard patrols.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,119 Posts
Agree with you, we want more torque for drivebility! The turbo will give more torque on both motors. Matching the turbo components will be the crucial thing in this build. It will be easier with the TD42 because of the smaller rev range. Ideally we want more torque from as low as 1500rpm with the turbo. Easier on the TB than he RB, but not impossible. Making BIG power more reliably I will put my money on the RB. But if you plan to build a mountain crawler out of a TB, I would ditch it all together and go the TD... ;)

So why would they rip out the TB and put in a Rb then??? We are not talking about massive HP motors here. All they wanted to know was if the turbo would be the right size. Which it is.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,119 Posts
Just read an article last night, and the Patrol in question was an EFI 4.2 model (not sure which one you have) and they had a high flowed T3 turbo on it and it made 205kw and over 600nM of Torque... That's a bucket load :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts