Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Ford Maverick
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lads,
I’m trying to figure out ways to suppress the sound of my turbo inside the cabin when I’m on highway speeds.

I have had the car tuned and it’s making fantastic power but I can’t seem to figure out a way to make the turbo spooling noise at high rpm driving quieter.

I have literally sound proofed everywhere in the car:
  • floor
  • doors
  • quarter panels
  • roof
  • underneath dash

I used butyl deadner, acoustic liner, and MLV. And admittedly the car is fairly quiet, but the turbo needs to be suppressed more.

I run a bonnet entry snorkel and have even experimented with fitting a pod filter on the turbo to bypass the snorkel and the noise is actually louder. So it must be coming from someplace else.

Id love to know if anyone has had this issue and could maybe offer pointers?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,850 Posts
Firewall and under bonnet might help, just to clarify it is a whirring type noise? could it be an exhaust manifold leak?

·
Registered
1993 Ford Maverick
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Firewall and under bonnet might help, just to clarify it is a whirring type noise? could it be an exhaust manifold leak?
I forgot to mention I’ve also insulated the bonnet - multiple layers.

my turbo and manifold are all brand new and fresh.
It’s not a sucking noise it’s a spooling noise. So i assume it’s coming off the compressor housing and finding it’s way into the cabin.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,850 Posts
I forgot to mention I’ve also insulated the bonnet - multiple layers.

my turbo and manifold are all brand new and fresh.
It’s not a sucking noise it’s a spoiling noise. So i assume it’s coming off the compressor housing and finding it’s way into the cabin.
Maybe a turbo blanket would help. Which brand turbo?

·
Registered
1993 Ford Maverick
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe a turbo blanket would help. Which brand turbo?
united fuel injection 18G. admittedly it runs high boost pressure 25-27 PSI

I have my exhaust housing and dump pipe wrapped in heat proof fibreglass insulation. Nothing over the compressor housing

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
275 Posts
what exhaust - straight through? you get a lot of turbo noise out the exhaust too. you will hear it inside if the exhaust dumps under the car

another thing to check is the boost gauge line. I had mine running with the boost gauge disconnected and you could hear the turbo quite loud inside the cab.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,850 Posts
united fuel injection 18G. admittedly it runs high boost pressure 25-27 PSI

I have my exhaust housing and dump pipe wrapped in heat proof fibreglass insulation. Nothing over the compressor housing
Have you spoken to UFI to see what they think it might be? A turbo blanket could well help.

·
Registered
1993 Ford Maverick
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what exhaust - straight through? you get a lot of turbo noise out the exhaust too. you will hear it inside if the exhaust dumps under the car

another thing to check is the boost gauge line. I had mine running with the boost gauge disconnected and you could hear the turbo quite loud inside the cab.
This probably doesn’t sounds too great but I dont Even run a boost gauge as of yet! I know I should but that wouldn’t be an issue because I haven’t installed one yet HAHAHA

·
Registered
1993 Ford Maverick
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you spoken to UFI to see what they think it might be? A turbo blanket could well help.
I struggle to deal with UFI. The customer service there lacks a bit, I asked if they maybe sell a silencer cone to go over the front of the turbo as their turbos don’t have one on the intake side and they said no. I asked them about any solutions to my problem through sound proofing and they weren’t very helpful.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,729 Posts
Hey lads,
I’m trying to figure out ways to suppress the sound of my turbo inside the cabin when I’m on highway speeds.

I have had the car tuned and it’s making fantastic power but I can’t seem to figure out a way to make the turbo spooling noise at high rpm driving quieter.

I have literally sound proofed everywhere in the car:
  • floor
  • doors
  • quarter panels
  • roof
  • underneath dash

I used butyl deadner, acoustic liner, and MLV. And admittedly the car is fairly quiet, but the turbo needs to be suppressed more.

I run a bonnet entry snorkel and have even experimented with fitting a pod filter on the turbo to bypass the snorkel and the noise is actually louder. So it must be coming from someplace else.

Id love to know if anyone has had this issue and could maybe offer pointers?
What intercooler are you running?

My cross country ultimate intercooler solid mounts to the firewall.

I get tons of induction noise inside the car, could yours be similar?

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,765 Posts
It’s not a sucking noise it’s a spooling noise. So i assume it’s coming off the compressor housing and finding it’s way into the cabin.
Maybe air turbulence, higher MAF rate running at higher boost
What top mount intercooler are you running?
Tube and Fin or bar and plate?
What air box and when you tried the pod air filter?
Was pod filter connected direct to turbo?

·
Registered
1993 Ford Maverick
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I do run a straight through exhaust yeah, but I think it’s the turbocharger in the engine bay making the bulk of the noise

·
Registered
1993 Ford Maverick
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Yeah directly connected to the turbo. And I run a front mounted intercooler with 2.5” pipe work so no top mount

·
Registered
1993 Ford Maverick
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I run a 4” 180° into stainless box with pod filter typically but like I said, when I disconnected all of that and stuck the pod right on the face of the turbo it was actually noisier than when the snorkel is hook up

Attachments

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,765 Posts
Was not evident what cooler config u were using _ reason for asking.

May not look as pretty, I wrapped my pod 4x9" type air box with weighted vinyl and then covered that with foil back sound deadener.

For the 3" pipe from pod airbox to turbo, slid a wetsuit sleeve over pipe and gold wrapped entire length.
Also run a FMIC (600x300x76mm bar & plate) with 2,5" piping, the hot side (eng bay) is wrapped with exhaust wrap and then gold reflective tape over that.
Might help with noise reduction for you and also helps reduce heat soak.

Also run 4" snorkel with fwd facing ram hd.

Turbo Beanie have not used them.

·
Registered
Nissan
293 Posts
Maybe even more than a bit. Comp style, straight cut reverse facing snorkels are not suitable for highway use in my opinion.
yep i put up with it for years. cant believe i did.

the difference is, i used to blast music. now im "old" i listen to podcasts 🤟

it seems to help more with certain types of turbos. Buggers me why that is as i know little of turbos in great detail like some do. just how to make them work with an engine.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,166 Posts
yep i put up with it for years. cant believe i did.

the difference is, i used to blast music. now im "old" i listen to podcasts 🤟

it seems to help more with certain types of turbos. Buggers me why that is as i know little of turbos in great detail like some do. just how to make them work with an engine.

Turbo certainly makes a difference.

I have read of a few people that changed the comp snorkel to a ram head as the noise was too much. And it is BAD for airflow too. BAD!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts