Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im soon to start on a SD33 build. Its a non turbo but will be slapping on a GT2860RS. Just a couple of questions that i need solid answers for so i can start finding parts. Ive read through "landy's" build and wanna end up with something similar.

i just wana know: If i install a larger turbo like the gt2860rs will the NA injector pump with an advanced run gear be better because its pumping a linear diesel flow, compared to a turbo on/off boost pump?

ive got a turbo gear from a turbo injector pump, will installing that solve my woes?

Also, are the NA sd33 injectors different to the SD33t injectors? Mk Nut was telling me i could source out mercedes benz diesel injectors that fit straight in and have a higher flow, if so.. which benz engine am i after?

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Turbo pump has bigger pump elements(plungers) - 6,5mm vs 6mm on NA.
NA pump with turbo fitted will be pig to drive.
Post 1985 injectors are all the same in turbo and NA version.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
There are better turbos suited to sd's then a disco potato. Landy was running a tD04 I thInk and now has something else going, same as stewballs .

·
Registered
Nissan
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Landy has a gt2860rs according to the "oops I accidently bought a gt2860rs and bolted it onto my sd33t" thread. I've heard a lot of positive feed back from the gt2860rs and seeing as its comes off a rb26tt I think its got a pretty solid name for itself. My issue here is fuel delivery to the engine with a larger turbo. What and how do I overcome the problem? What's the little tweeks everyone does to get an injector pump up to speed with a larger turbo...?

·
nissan
7,289 Posts
did have 2860 about 4 turbo's ago lol, hence saying there are better turbo's for a sd. Don't get me wrong a 2860 will work well .

As for fuel. Bolt your turbo on and keep your egt's down under 600 post turbo, if you ca't make the boost you want add more fuel. just keep your eye on the egt's .

The advantage to a turbo IP is you can control you fuel delivery on and off boost, With a n/a IP it will be full fuel from the start, but this can be an advantage as it helps get the boost spooling early which is what you are after.
Down side is smoke , but my motor is factory turbo and it smokes more down low then up high so I think either way theres smoke .

·
Registered
Nissan
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok cool ill take that into consideration. I didn't know landy changed so many times lol.... I just did my research so I wouldn't ask stupid questions already been answered. I've got a fair idea of what needs to be done and pretty confident and excited to do it. What's the go with the IP gear? What's the effects of advancing its timing or replacing it with a turbo gear? mk nut gave me a turbo pump that's buggered but the gear is good, can I use that to my advantage...?

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,037 Posts
Are you going to do before and after dyno runs Yono? If your SD is currently stock it would be interesting to see how many horses have escaped it over the years.

·
nissan
7,289 Posts
No I don't believe the gears will do, anything for you.

If you had a complete Turbo IP it would be worth changing I guess, but If the pump is stuffed a would not bother or look at a rebuild.
I believe the pump timing between N/A and Turbo are the same, but I would have to check for you.

·
Registered
Nissan
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the 150000km sd33 off mk nut and its still a good engine. Mine has done nearly 380000 and refuses to die so I'm gonna build the good one up and just drop it in. I'm not in it for the figures, just a powerful and reliable donk is what I'm after. If I can find a turbo IP I'm not affraid to spend the money and have it rebuilt along with the injectors. But on the flip side if all the na IP needs is a tune then ill just stick to that and just get the injectors rebuilt.

·
Registered
Nissan
234 Posts
Gday fellas just wondering while were on the turbo talk, does anyone know whether a factory gu turbo will fit on a standard sd33 exhaust manifold

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Gday fellas just wondering while were on the turbo talk, does anyone know whether a factory gu turbo will fit on a standard sd33 exhaust manifold
Yes.

In answer to OP's question....

There are not many new turbos with the T3 flange that suit the 3.3 litre DIESEL (exhaust side is too large) Therefor it isn't "bolt on"

I would look at a TD04L-13T and then upgrade the compressor wheel and cover to the 15T.
You will need a T3 to T25 flange adapter, a GT20 series dump flange.

You will also need oil lines. The TD04L core is oil only. No coolant.

Kinugawa do the TD04L-13T's :)
Kinugawa Turbocharger Iveco Daily 2 8L 49377 07000 TD04L TD04L 13T T25 5cm | eBay

Turbo Compressor Upgrade KIT Mitsubishi TD04 TD04L TD0H TD04HL 15T | eBay

MTQ can supply the T3 to T25 flange adapter. ENZED etc can assist with the oil lines. You can utilize the standard turbo oil drain elbow and sump fitting.

EDIT: May want to get the turbine housing scroll machined a little to increase flow up top.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Old AiResearch T3 "50 trim" is almost perfect for SD33T, but it can be hard to find.
It's old technology but reliable and it can handle high boost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im soon to start on a SD33 build. Its a non turbo but will be slapping on a GT2860RS. Just a couple of questions that i need solid answers for so i can start finding parts. Ive read through "landy's" build and wanna end up with something similar.

i just wana know: If i install a larger turbo like the gt2860rs will the NA injector pump with an advanced run gear be better because its pumping a linear diesel flow, compared to a turbo on/off boost pump?

ive got a turbo gear from a turbo injector pump, will installing that solve my woes?

Also, are the NA sd33 injectors different to the SD33t injectors? Mk Nut was telling me i could source out mercedes benz diesel injectors that fit straight in and have a higher flow, if so.. which benz engine am i after?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts