Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Definately worth a look at Twin Turbo TD42 Patrol - PerformanceForums

done by a mate of my sons at the north coast normally into suby's etc.

Make a great set-up for good low down power in the sand or towing a van or heavy trailer.

Boost early and often. Great range of subaru turbos readily available cheaply.

Each turbo getting gas flow from 2.1 liters each. got to be a winner on cost.

Definately looking into to this.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Interesting twin turbo TD42 well i guess i better start checking youtube for videos of it.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
There was one done in NZ and detaied on here, looked pretty good apart from the intercooler being really low.

I know of one in Perth that had a worked fuel pump on it, they had to take the worked pump off and put a standard one on it. It didnt make the power they thought they would. BIG waste of effort.

Bring on the compound turbo projects....

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
be interesting to see what the boost compared to the back pressure is.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it really depends on what you're looking for outright power or just some pretty basic low down grunt, and going this route, - probably got boost at idle or shortly thereafter with VF12's, close as you could get to a belt driven supercharger, or a V8 Chev for low down torque, at a far more reasonable cost.

Unlike some others, I'm not looking for outright power, rather I want a lot more grunt right down low, 1000 RPM or so on to about 2800rpm, thats where most of the towing work is done, starting off, and maintaining cruise without cog swapping every time there is bump in the road, and having the torque to pull up highway hills without getting down into 3rd and 2nd on the steep ones. It would be like getting another gear between 3 & 4.

Like most on here, I dont have the 20K to spend on a V8 chev transplant into a 10 year old vehicle, and I think this would be a good compromise for a couple of grand total cost. Certainly better than putting on a 2860, or the turbo I had built and not fitted yet, as a garrett alternative.

more debate on options needed

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
That's the work of Al, he owns AM Auto. They do a heap of Subaru stuff, but will happily modify anything.

Am Autos | Home

His work is amazing. You can see some of his work here (you have to be a member to see though, unfortunately. The Forester is my other, significantly quicker, turbo) - OzFoz.com • Login

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah know al,and his work through my boys. big suby family

·
Registered
nissan 03
15 Posts
I Have a 6.5 chev diesel in a 03 patrol with a small garret turbo on it for the size of the motor you think bigger but I have pulled a trailer with over 2 ton of wood on it and up hills it just wants to go loves it but as for price it is a lot of money. I have had a few contest with some other 4WD and they blow me into the weeds but they are half the weight of my patrol but get it up and runnig and it don,t stop as for putting something behind it thats a different story it is what you can afford and the older the car the less viable it is but I love the grunt of this thing it makes my head shake a lot it is not to rude on fuel either

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mychev, agree 6.5 is brilliant but not for an 11 yr old vehicle, vastly overvaluing the car at that rate, and 20K+ buys a lot of diesel over what I already use and a few 4.2 mods, thats the way you have to look at it. Still looking at this twin turbo option though, sourcing the a pair of good used turbos at the right price is the hardest part. Got the twin turbo manifolds sourced at the right price.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Andy at Diesel-tec in Lilydale did it few years back - sequencial turbos... worked well. had the same setup on his 80 series too.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
I know of a gq with twin turbos off a skyline on a 4.2 diesel and another ute that was supercharged and turbo charged to get the same effect

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
obviously a few around, and much variety in set-up.

·
Registered
nissan
56 Posts
mychev, agree 6.5 is brilliant but not for an 11 yr old vehicle, vastly overvaluing the car at that rate, and 20K+ buys a lot of diesel over what I already use and a few 4.2 mods, thats the way you have to look at it. Still looking at this twin turbo option though, sourcing the a pair of good used turbos at the right price is the hardest part. Got the twin turbo manifolds sourced at the right price.
Where did you get the two manifolds from???

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey guys the twin turboed td42 that allananicol is talking about is mine, still havent had a chance to get it on the dyno, ive been in rocky working. i called up and the dyno is booked out for the next 3 weeks. but as soon as i get the chance it will be going on and i will let you all know how it went. cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
can i ask what a set up like this is worth i was looking at going the 2860 option but i like the sounds of this a lot more

cheers jack

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
twin turbos ? my truck 4.2 diesel is compounded super charged and turbo charged garret to3 turbo and mp90 supercharge,r it took me over 2 months to work every thing out i,ll tell you now it has the torque of a d9 cat, i run 37s with 4. 3 gears manual and 2nd gear is usless have to go back to 4.1 i have the turbo feeding the blower and can boost to 22lbs but goes better on 16lbs not to bad on fuel either any way good luck with your petrol cheers, wildog

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
i wish people would learn the difference between supercharging and turbo charging, a hell of a lot of people call turbocharging supercharging ,there is a big difference

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
yep, a turbo is a turbine driven centrifugal compressor supercharger.
a "supercharger" is typically belt driven.
No matter how picky and pedantic you are there's always a better nitpicker on here...

twin turbo = 2 turbos the same.
Two different turbos one after the other = compound turbo

Please make a thread Wildog, sounds very interesting. Got a dyno plot, photos etc?
FYI what you have is compound supercharging.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts