Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving home from work recently following a cruiser with twin wheel carriers.

I started thinking of all the trips and miles I've done through very remote locations, and realised in all the distances I've NEVER had a flat or blowout.

In all this time, I've only ever seen 2 others with flats:
1. A guy with at least 5 plugs in a tyre that totally blew out. This was nothing but his own stupid fault, who (with even half a brain) would go touring with a tyre like that
2. a guy in a troopie with old split rim tyres who has them at something like 80psi who got a railway spike through his tyre.

Its amazing when you head somewhere like Birdsville (as I was for the races last year) how many dual wheel carriers there are- and I bet most have never had one puncture let alone 2.

I carry a good spare, and 2x simex tubes and tyrepliers. And have never used them or had to change tyres. Same goes for the camper trailer too.

Are they a waste of time and money?

If you have a twin carrier, let us know when you've actually had to use 2 spares?

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
The best thing about dual tyre carriers is the rear bar and getting the one spare off the door.

I have a dual carrier and haven't put the second one on yet, but the rear bar has copped a hiding, saved many a damage, and my back door closes perfectly as its never had weight on it. And when you do land on it, it just needs a clean, touch up with the pressure pack and you wouldn't know.

When i start doing remote touring ill put the second spare on. Better to carry it without needing it, then to leave it at home and on the off chance you do need it.

You start to see how often its landed on in this picture (cant see the grooves up the side though)

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I had twins on the back of mine, but only for the canning. Since then 1 has been converted to carry a jerry. On the canning I had no flats but the other vehicle with us had 5.

·
Registered
Nissan
142 Posts
I reckon it's protection against Murphys Law. Carry them and you won't need 'em, leave them at home and you'll get stranded with a pair of punctures!

On a serious note, I haven't had a puncture out on the tracks myself yet (touch wood), just a slow leak once, caused by some cr*p getting in between the tyre and rim, but I've been on plenty drives where other vehicles have had punctures, and they've been pretty nervous for the rest of the trek.

The dual wheel carrier is definitely on my shopping list, for some rear protection, getting the spare off the door, and having somewhere useful to put a second spare for the trips that need them. I wouldnt be carrying the second spare all the time, but at the moment it goes on the roof and it's a pain to get it up and down.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
nissan
11,123 Posts
ive heard of a few people who have had more than 2 punctures on a trip. you have to be unlucky but its definately possible. and if you blow one very early into your trip then your without a spare for the rest.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alone, sometimes with family in the car/camper, and sometimes with other vehicles.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I carry a good spare, and 2x simex tubes and tyrepliers. And have never used them or had to change tyres. Same goes for the camper trailer too.
You'd be unlucky to need more than 1 spare and 2 tubes as well!

Are they a waste of time and money?
for most people yes. but you have to look the part when parking in the CBD

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
We're setting our GQ up for long range touring. We're likely to be traveling alone. It seems prudent to have 2 spares in this case. Hopefully I'll never have to use them!

Of course - they'll help me look the part in the CBD too :)

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
I just don't know how people can drive around all year with the passenger side spare on. Opening this every time you need to open the small door or both back doors wears thin very quickly. I think the second one lasted a week on my car, and hasn't been back on since as i haven't done any inland/desert trips yet.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I reckon it's protection against Murphys Law. Carry them and you won't need 'em, leave them at home and you'll get stranded with a pair of punctures!

The dual wheel carrier is definitely on my shopping list, for some rear protection, getting the spare off the door, and having somewhere useful to put a second spare for the trips that need them. I wouldnt be carrying the second spare all the time, but at the moment it goes on the roof and it's a pain to get it up and down.
Chopsy x2.

285 on & off the roof.... *sigh*

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
I destroyed a sidewall at the Cape last year. I had a second tyre on the roof. I got a puncture as well but plugged it. I was dreading swapping tyres on the side of a track somewhere, so I'm currently in the process of building twin carriers. Mainly because we're doing the Red Center this July. The passenger side, I'm gunna make up a duel Jerry holder as well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I carry two complete spares on most trips offroad trips.

It's more about being prepared. I destroyed a side wall on the Anne Beadel Hwy last year, got into Ceduna a few days later on a Saturday afternoon and couldn't get a replacement tyre in my size 285/75/16.

We were heading out up Googs Track the next day, and if I didn't have another spare I wouldn't have been prepared to tempt fate and go Googs with no spare.

I'd rather carry a second spare, than sit in Ceduna for a day or two waiting for a tyre to arrive.

Plus it looks great in the CBD.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
How many people carry a second spare not on a rim? Much lighter and not that much work to change with tyre plyers. only bitch is not balanced.

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
One of the reasons I put 16" rim on and I normally only carry 2 when I want Murphy to piss off....

·
Registered
902 Posts
I was out camping a few years ago only 150kms north of Adelaide,hardly out in the sticks
And i had a blow out on a bitumen rd. Got to the nex town bought a new tyre only to have another flat four hours later on a dirt rd. Sorry dear time to go home now.
If only Id had 2 spares.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yep remote trips i always carry a second tyre on the roof rack no rim to keep the weight down. Its like someone aready said Murphy's law if you dont carry it ,you will need it . cheers MO

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Well I once ran over an echidna on the way to Adelaide late at night in a Falcon, and it blew both left tyres (pretty exciting).

I like the idea of the rear bar, my plastic one is pretty well trowelled now after a few good hits offroading. But I'm more likely to carry a tyre only on the roofrack as a back-up spare, they're not that hard to swap over once you know how. And yes I do feel somewhat inadequate when driving in the CBD and that alone is reason enough to fork out $3k on a bar and GU 17" rim/tyre.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts