Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday fellas. So I had a tyre get punctured and I took some pics of the makeshift repair I did to drive out of the bush.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a tyre designer and this post is about how to do makeshift repairs to get you out of the bush and into a tyre shop to fix it properly. You need to take the tyre off the wheel to do a proper fix, as for example there could be damage to the steel belts.

Heres my ARB tyre repair kit youll need something like this:

I use some water to help spot where the puncture is. In this case, its on the sidewall and as a rule of thumb, you shouldnt repair damage to the sidewall. However this job was about a fix to get out of the bush, so I did it.

Start with the reamer tool and ream out the hole, carefully separating between any of the steel belt you can feel and cleaning up the hole.

Heres the patch tool. A bit of lube on the point, thread the patch into the eyelet

Push it into the reamed hole, setting the plug

Then hold the retaining slide down and pull the central slide out to remove the tool. Inspect your plug

You can choose to tail clip the plug if you want, I just leave them. Then use your air compressor to reach your desired pressure and your good to go

Heres a closeup of the repair the next day. To get out of the bush it was 150 KLMs of mud, sand, rocks and sealed highway. Despite it being a sidewall repair it held up OK.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I did a repair similar to this in the same area. That was 10k ago. Its still going strong and this includes a few k of rough roads.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
177 Posts
They are great, did a repair to my trailer tyre that I tow 3 to 5 days a week for work, still going strong 7 years later

1 - 5 of 5 Posts