Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For sand dune use I want to squeeze on the largest tyre size possible - with a 30mm lift, which is a little over 1", what size would you say will fit without rubbing?

Looking at Grandtrek TG31.

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Probably 33x12.5x15 if you remove the mudguards at the front and make slimmer ones at the back. The Nissan ones are pretty thick and tend to get caught. Might need bumpstop extensions.

Why not just go a 2" lift?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I'll try for the 33" and see how they fit. I'm wary of too much lift because we do a lot of side inclines and roll-overs happen quite frequently.

Check out how often! http://wp.me/p2Vaa3-10x

·
Registered
nissan
1,822 Posts
Maybe 32 x 11.5 x 15. I had some on a wagon with a 50mm lift and they don't rub in the rough so you may be lucky with a 30mm lift and have no problems bit hard to say exactly because 30mm is an unusually lift as you know good luck with finding the right tyre.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Im Running 50 mm lift with 32" - I have plenty of room

ALso remember the 750 R16 trye that came standard on some trucks are 32" - but are narrow

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
How wide is your rims & what offset do the rims have ? That could play an important part in weather your tyres will rub or not with bigger tyres.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Helpfully stamped into the wheel rim is:

J 15x7JJ DOT TOPY 527 88 S3.8 40300 02J00 NISSAN

Anybody can translate? :)

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Its a 15x7" rim with JJ bead profile, dunno what the rest means.

You can measure the offset pretty easily. Google it, there are tons of guides. All you need it a ruler and a straight edge.

·
Registered
nissan
1,822 Posts
I don't think it's good practice to put 12.5" wide tyres on 7" rims I think it's better to use at least 8" wide rims unless I'm wrong.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
I don't think it's good practice to put 12.5" wide tyres on 7" rims I think it's better to use at least 8" wide rims unless I'm wrong.
Agree with this. 8" Wheels with -22 offset to 10" wheels with -44 offset.
When I bought my Mickey Thompson 33" x 15" x 12.5" tyres I was told by the tyre guys that Mickey Thompson wouldn't warrant them on wheels smaller than 8.5" wide rims.
Since I couldn't get sunraysia wheels in 8.5" I put the tyres on 8" sunraysias.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, also agree. Even with beadlocks to help keep the tyre pinched in.

For me the requirement is different, though, as I'm looking at sand service tyres, which are tall but narrow. Size would be something like 235/95R15. So the 7" rim is not an issue, although swapping to a 10" rim with those same tyres give an awesome balloon-tyre! But then they pop off easily at low pressures...

While some drivers in the dunes here love the big mud-terrains (mainly Jeepers -sigh-) it's all teeth and no bite as they are too aggressive and dig down, and too heavy with their reinforced sidewalls, and even counter-productive as the rolling resistance of a wide tyre reduces performance compared to a narrow (but tall) tyre.

I'm now looking at what is a 32.6" tyre, and I think that'll fit nicely without rubbing. I'll update the post when fitted.

Where the big, 35" aggressive M/T tyres work well in dunes is with the uphill sand drag racers, but those are 1000HP machines that can spin those buggers as paddles!

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
You can get 33x10.5 15r, it's perfect for a 7 inch wide rim

Reactions: prossett

·
Registered
Nissan
1 Posts
On the same topic, I have a GQ with a three inch lift running 265/75/16s on 8 inch rims with standard offset (if thats right). Im wondering if on those rims 285s will rub when turning on the front and on the inner guard in the rear on full articulation? If so what about spacers?

·
Registered
nissan
1,822 Posts
Your vehicle has been raised 3" so now do you have the same wheel base or is it slightly shorter because that will have an affect on them rubbing as well from my understanding.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
On the same topic, I have a GQ with a three inch lift running 265/75/16s on 8 inch rims with standard offset (if thats right). Im wondering if on those rims 285s will rub when turning on the front and on the inner guard in the rear on full articulation? If so what about spacers?

If you are talking about wheel spacers they are not legal on the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts