Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I'm just about to lash out on new tyres, 10 of them, for my 2014 Patrol. I'm contemplating fitting 5 standard size BFG AT's on my stock 17' alloys and 5 BFG 285/75/16 MT's on steel 16" King rims.
The standard Bridgestones that came stock with the Patrol are CRAP. Destroyed one already ( unable to be plugged or patched ) and I'm just about fed-up with the flat spots every morning that make it very uncomfortable to drive for the first 10klms or so.
Anyway ........ my intention is to swap to the muds when going on any of the tougher track and then back to the AT's as a daily drive. My question is ... storing the muds. I planned to keep them covered up in the garage, but should I do anything else to ensure their longevity? Tyre pressures perhaps?
Bazza

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
I wouldn't muck around with 10 tyres - just get 33" muddies like MTR which are fine for daily use as they aren't too noisy.

Put onto the standard 17" rims.

No storage problems :)

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
I wouldn't muck around with 10 tyres - just get 33" muddies like MTR which are fine for daily use as they aren't too noisy.

Put onto the standard 17" rims.

No storage problems :)
Except for the fact that muddies just suck on the road (particularly in the wet) compared to ATs. My wife drives my kids all over the place in our Patrol and safety is paramount for us. I drove my mate's Ranger around in the wet with muddies and at times it was just dangerous.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Fyi My summit mud hog mud tyres grip very well in the wet. I can't even get them to spin haha.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Not sure yet but have 20 000 on them now I'd say 50 000 would be a fair guess. At $275 a tyre for 35s its quite cheap really.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Yeah even 40 000 would do me at what they cost and i need the muddies road tyres or A/Ts just don't cut it off road.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Yeah even 40 000 would do me at what they cost and i need the muddies road tyres or A/Ts just don't cut it off road.
Yeah it all comes to what you do obviously. For me the Patrol is the mrs daily driver, going shopping, dropping kids to school etc. On weekends its our family car/tourer, we spend a month a year on Moreton Island and in between all that we do some moderate 4wding here and there on day trips, so muddies would probably be overkill for our needs, but good ATs do just fine (and I get about 80,000 klms out of a set). If/when we do the cape etc I will get some more aggressive tyres and store them in the garage upon our return until the next big trip.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Except for the fact that muddies just suck on the road (particularly in the wet) compared to ATs. My wife drives my kids all over the place in our Patrol and safety is paramount for us. I drove my mate's Ranger around in the wet with muddies and at times it was just dangerous.
That's why I suggested MTR tyres.

They aren't like other muddies. They have grip in the wet and aren't noisy. And they have excellent grip in the bush, on mud, rocks, sand.

Oh, and a Ranger with nothing in the tray is dangerous in the wet ANY time, doesn't matter what tyre is on it. Don't use that as a reference except to compare with any other ute with leaf springs :) They are all bad empty.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
That's why I suggested MTR tyres.

They aren't like other muddies. They have grip in the wet and aren't noisy. And they have excellent grip in the bush, on mud, rocks, sand.

Oh, and a Ranger with nothing in the tray is dangerous in the wet ANY time, doesn't matter what tyre is on it. Don't use that as a reference except to compare with any other ute with leaf springs :) They are all bad empty.
Where did I say the tray of the Ranger was empty? I can compare it to my Ranger though which has Geolandar ATs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts