Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't do a lot of mud anymore, indeed, in WA its darn hard to find any in the first place and was up for a set of new tyres having worn the Cooper STT's down to pretty much nuthin'.

Almost all my K's now are Urban 30% (missus driving mainly), Touring plus gravel roads, beach and sandy tracks acounts for another 50% (a lot pulling the Camper) and the other 20 % is Club outings and the odd Rocky Track usually limestone around here.

So, it was time to dump the Cooper STT's, Platinum Visa, hearing protectors, steering shimmy and wet road pucker factor and look around for some nice aggressive A/T's at a reasonable price.

I have had a few different sedans with Kuhmo's and was happy with all of them so after reading excellent reports on Kuhmo KL 71 MT's here and KL 78's elsewhwere decided that the 4 Rib style A/T Kuhmo 78's in 285 / 75 / 16 were worth a shot and at $120 a tyre cheaper than the Coopers was willing to even end up with a bit of a lemon.

They are on the Truck now and the missus absolutely loves them. I haven't given them a crack on wet roads yet but they certainly are pretty good on the Bitumen. They don't look quite as Macho as the Coopers or other M/T's but, Pffft, they are an A/T after all.

Kuhmo's are Korean but several models are now made in Vietnam apparently. Not sure of the origin of the KL 78's so if anyone happens to know post it up.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
They dont look bad.

Also have a look at the Dick Cepek FC2's.. Great tyre.

·
Registered
GU IV 4.2
955 Posts
Had these on my Mav when i bought it. Not sure how many km's they already had on them but i put 40,000 on them. They did wear a bit uneven but that probably had something to do with me never rotating or balancing them. Let down to about 18psi they were great on the sand, tried them in the wet a few times, didn't like clay very much but weren't too bad in mud and gripped well on wet bitumen. They seemed to be a pretty decent tyre and sound like they would suit your kind of driving well. Should get a few km's out of them aswell provided you keep up on rotating and balance's.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1,000 K update.

Had our first bit of reasonable rain this week and the Wet Bitumen performance is very pleasing with predictable road holding and excellent braking in the wet conditions.

Certainly had to deliberately work at getting the rear end to step out and the missus is much happier as she used to park up and use our Magna if it was wet when I had MT's on the truck. She didn't like the vehicles road manners at all in the wet with MT's.

Indeed it looks like the KL78's are a very nice tyre for around $220 a corner. The only question now will be mileage

·
Registered
nissan patrol
13 Posts
Hi, i'm on my second set of those, did 82,000km on the first set, mainly drive bitumen, 30% dirt roads and about 5% truly offroad, haven't done any really muddy tracks, so can't say what there like in that situation. BTW i have 6 of those and rotate 2 at time every 10,000km, they are wearing reasonably well.

Harry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts