Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Everyone.
I went to an O'Neils tyre joint in Newcastle and I asked for a balance and alignment. The bloke told me that he would put a powder in the tyre which balances the tyre out and means i wouldn't have to get the wheel balanced again for the life of the tyre, this also eliminated the need for lead weights which come off when going some gnarly terrain. Has anyone used this? At around 100km/h I get a pretty bad wobble now afer getting the powder. I have Mickey T MT 33" on 15 x 10's.

The product is called "Dry Equal" as it says on the receipt.

Cheers
SIMO

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
277 Posts
I've had this crap in my 35" tyres before and it's useless. The people selling it make so many promises but they're just shysters.
I had bad wheel wobble and kept throwing weights when offroad. So I gave it a go. My wheel balance was even worse afterwards - almost undriveable. So I chucked this stuff in the bin ($100 down the drain) and I went and got my tyres road force balanced (expensive). No more wheel wobble.

·
Registered
nissan gq ti patrol
61 Posts
i've got this powder balance in a set of alloys i bought for my gq second hand guy i bought them off had it done, i was very doubtful about this but i have had no probs for about 20,000k but one thing i have noticed when letting tyres down for offroad i swear i can see some powder come out, which i can't see being a good thing

mark

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
im pretty sure this is the product. I also recall the bloke at O'Neils saying its commonly used on trucks.

Equal Tire Balancer -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated
In the link above it talks about filtered valve cores to stop the stuff clogging valve cores when letting air out

It also says that when spun on a wheel balance machine a tyre filled with the stuff will show as being out of balance but on the road this will correct itself ?

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had it in for 4 days now and i don't rate it at all. I didn't have too bad a wobble prepowder mainly around 70km's then it would disappear. since having this powder in it has a semi violent wobble at 90kms.

They did put new valve cores in mine.

I think I'm going to go back to O'Neils for chat.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
I used the auto balance compound in my 33" MTZs because I was curious how well it worked. At $35 per bag, it was pretty expensive for what it is. I found, that between 50 and 60k, is seemed to loose the plot on occasion which caused more wobbles than with a poorly balanced wheel. I thought this might have been caused by moisture in the tyre. Anyway, I didn't see any benefit and stopped using it. What annoyed me most was that the valve got stuck consistently when I used the ARB deflator.

·
Registered
nissan
528 Posts
if it does not work, and they will not refund the money, ring consumer affairs. they will get other complaints and take action for you.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Common method on trucks and there are a few different products that use the same science but have very mixed results on Patrols.

My belief is that any of the Patrol Wheel Wobble issue that is NOT tyre balance related 'confuses' the product because the wobble is not consistent to the rim and tyre position.

The powder works by moving to a point inside they tyre that counteracts the static weight imbalance of the tyre and rim. So the powder moves as the wheel rotates but not instantaneously so until the appropriate amounts disperse and settle where needed.

Because the Patrol Wobbles is a dynamic issue this means the product can't settle and is moving around "chasing" the problem and thus causing more wobble than it solves.

I could easily be wrong but thats my take on it so if you have a truck with no dreaded Patrol Shakes (caused by Bushes etc etc) and only Tyre imbalance it works fine... if however you start off with the wobbles because of Panhard Bushes or whatever then it only makes the shimmy worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts