Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying some 17”X 8” steel wheels with a -13 offset. I am looking at running the tallest tyre that I can which in my case is around 34.37”. This is based on my understanding of information in the VSB 14 that allows a plus 50mm increase in diameter.

Looking around at mud terrain tyres those in 305/70/R17 size would give me a 34” tyre. The vehicle a 2001 GU currently has a 2” OME lift so I would be interested to know what issues I may encounter running these larger tyres? In particular are they likely to rub or mess with the steering or other components.

I understand that I may need to make adjustments to the mud flap brackets.

Sorry if I missed the answer to this in another post but I couldn’t find much on the 305s on the site.

FYI 305mm is about 12" so this tyre is slightly shorter than a 35X12 and is both shorter and thinner than a 35x12.5

·
Registered
nissan/ford maverick
39 Posts
Hey mate, I'm running 305 70 17 on 2013 factory wheels and they're fine had to trim the inside of the mud flaps but other than that it's fine. They sit flush with the guards too.

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not Legal?

305/70/17 won't be legal. I think the maximum size is 33" or 285/70/17.
Thanks for the feedback, but on what doco are us basing this statement on? I do want to stick within the rules.

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, but on what doco are us basing this statement on? I do want to stick within the rules.
Well I'm basing it on the fact that in Qld (and I believe other states are similar) the maximum increase in tire diameter is 50mm. There are free tire size calculators online but roughly the stock tires are 31". 50mm increase takes you up to roughly 33". The 285s are just under 33" and the 305/70/17 are closer to 34". If you want to figure it out yourself you can use the modification guide your state transport authority published and a free tire size calculator.

Edit: your stock 275/70/16 tires are 791mm dia. Stock 275/65/17 for the 17" rim is 789mm. 285/70/17 is 831mm which is 40mm increase for you and 305/70/17 is 859mm or 68mm increase in dia.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,060 Posts
305/70/17 won't be legal. I think the maximum size is 33" or 285/70/17.
This is correct. The diameter is the problem not the width. Relevant legislation can be found here. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro...Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011 v3.pdf

Larger tyre sizes can be done with an engineers certificate but this will require at least a brake upgrade and some tests for lane change stability and braking performance. There is a lot more to it than just putting a compliance plate on your car. A downside is that once the compliance plate is done then all the tests have to be redone if you want to go back to standard tyres.

Most people that want to run tyres bigger than the 50mm limit just accept the risk of a fine and have a second set of wheels with standard tyres that they swap for the defect inspection if they get a canary.

Cheers,

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much for the input. I am interpreting VSB 14 a bit differently and in particular where it states “… must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle” The key phrase is any “tyre designated by the vehicle” If I understand this correctly I should be able to increase the tyre size by 50mm to those that are listed in Owner’s Manual (Publication no: OM0E-0Y61G0), which lists amongst others lists a 245/85R16 which in inches is 32.4”. So 32.4” plus 50mm would equate to a maximum size of 34.368”
It would be a lot more fun focusing on getting the truck setup right rather than working my way through a load of confusing and contradictory regulations.

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
I've not heard of 245/85/16 but NSW RTA lists a 235/85/16 option which is 806mm dia. 305/70/17 would only be 3mm out for this option.

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Owners Manual

Owners manual showing trye sizes

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
1,835 Posts
I thought the owners manual would be irrelevant if your car has a plate or sticker on the door sill or pillar or in the glove box stating that vehicles particular tyre size so you just can't pick the biggest one out of the manual to suit your needs which is a bummer.

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought the owners manual would be irrelevant if your car has a plate or sticker on the door sill or pillar or in the glove box stating that vehicles particular tyre size so you just can't pick the biggest one out of the manual to suit your needs which is a bummer.
I reckon you have to be able to trust the owner’s manual which came with the car. Nissan won't list the wrong tyre sizes in it. The VSB states “any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle” so that works for me. The Landover guys I trying to compete with (I mean beat) are running 35s!

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
55 Posts
Whats in the owners manual will not be sufficient. Only what is on the tyre placard attached to the vehicle is valid.

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
The VSB14 refers to alternative manufacturer sizes listed on the tyre placard. You'd be hard pressed to argue a size from an owners manual I think.

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
One solution might be to put a supplementary tyre placard on. Try part numbers 99090VB000A or 9909035J04A. Don't know about a placard for 245/85/16 though.

·
Registered
nissan
1,835 Posts
Whats in the owners manual will not be sufficient. Only what is on the tyre placard attached to the vehicle is valid.
x 2 Exactly what I was trying to point out and I don't think flashing a car manual in their face with a variety of tyre sizes will help their not fools they'll just look for the tyre placard which should be attached to the vehicle I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[FONT=&quot]The Tyre Placard requirement is listed in section 4.1 REPLACEMENT TYRES ON STANDARD (OR MANUFACTURER’S OPTIONAL) RIMS, but as I am changing the wheels as well this is not the part I need to comply with. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The relevant section I am looking at is “4.2 NON-STANDARD TYRES AND RIMS”. This section doesn’t mention the tyre placard instead it explicitly states “any tyre designated by the Vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle”. That’s why I am arguing that if the tyre is in the Owner’s Manual then it clearly is a tyre designated by the manufacturer for use in the vehicle. To me this complies exactly with the requirements in clause 4.2.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I hope this is correct as I just about to buy these wheels as tyres! [/FONT]

Reactions: rochjas
1 - 20 of 29 Posts