Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all, thinking about purchasing a set of Hankook 265x75x16 mt`s. I am only concerned about the noise. Different reviews are opposite the other persons. 4 for 3 deal at the moment at $175.00 each plus gst plus fitting. Only on special till the end of the week. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
161 Posts
Hi Gazza,

Honestly, if your getting muddies, just accept they will make noise. If they are quiet at the start, they will be just as noisy as the rest after a coupled thousand KM. The quietest MTs I have seen are from Nitto, but those are almost 3x the price and weren't 3x quieter than the competition.

There is a fair bit you can do in a patrol to help lower road noise, like sound deadener (especially sealing up the holes behind the door cards), and under carpet insulation.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Hi Gazza,

Honestly, if your getting muddies, just accept they will make noise. If they are quiet at the start, they will be just as noisy as the rest after a coupled thousand KM. The quietest MTs I have seen are from Nitto, but those are almost 3x the price and weren't 3x quieter than the competition.

There is a fair bit you can do in a patrol to help lower road noise, like sound deadener (especially sealing up the holes behind the door cards), and under carpet insulation.
[/QUOTE
Good day all, thinking about purchasing a set of Hankook 265x75x16 mt`s. I am only concerned about the noise. Different reviews are opposite the other persons. 4 for 3 deal at the moment at $175.00 each plus gst plus fitting. Only on special till the end of the week. Any comments appreciated. Thanks
Also will notice fuel economy wont be as good with muddies. Just something to think about, why do you want muddies?
Daily drive?
Bush / farm vehicle?
If you dont need muddies dont buy them if this vehicle is your daily drive go AT insted.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks GQ bushman, i was getting all excited about some MT`s, ive heard some 4x4 trucks and the noise going past was almost deafening. I have some BFGoodridge KO2`s , i cant believe how noisy they have got after 30,000 kls. They are useless in the wet, and clog up too easy with mud , almost using slicks. Thinking of upgrading, so if i dont go mt`s i might try the Falkens which have good reviews. Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
nissan
161 Posts
Thanks GQ bushman, i was getting all excited about some MT`s, ive heard some 4x4 trucks and the noise going past was almost deafening. I have some BFGoodridge KO2`s , i cant believe how noisy they have got after 30,000 kls. They are useless in the wet, and clog up too easy with mud , almost using slicks. Thinking of upgrading, so if i dont go mt`s i might try the Falkens which have good reviews. Thanks for your comment.
That was my experience with KO2s also. Great in the sand and general offroad, but **** in the wet. I found that lowering the pressure slightly (36psi I think) gave me much better on road.
I think there are better AT choices for the money.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Try yokohama geolandar AT excellent tyres from myexperience. Or even the geolandar atx which unfortunately doesn't come in 285 75 16..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Gazza 1

I was recently deciding on what tyres to buy for my GQ , and although i had a good look at several muddies i bought an aggressive allterain in the Maxxis Razr 811 and they work very well for me as would many other good brands including the Falken and Yokohama that are mentioned above

I dont warrant the need for muddies as i try to avoid mud and on the black top they are noisier and dont' handle and brake as good especially in the wet and wear faster but they do make a 4wd look tougher when wearing them , and there isn't too many places i want to go that a good all terrain wont take me in better steering comfort

A tyre retailer told me years ago that when buying tyres , to choose a tyre from a category in the required performance level from well known tyre manufacturers and then negotiate the best price , I looked at the Toyo , Falken and Cooper AT's and bought the Maxxis's as they were the best offered price for what i wanted but would have been quite content with any of the others

PS I've got BFG KO2 on my 2016 lifted Pajero and i cant fault them either

Cheers

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have Hankook 285's muddies on my ute and can say without a doubt that they are the noisiest tyres I have ever had on any 4x4 ---unless you are doing extremely serious off road stuff, just get AT's they will handle 99% of off road situations and your ears will be eternally greatful !

·
Registered
40 Posts
The falkens are a bloody good tyre for the price I rekon!!! Good on and off road, mine are a bit sketchy in the wet but predictable and fine if driving like a nanna. Wear rate is excellent too iv done 50k and still got 10mm left on them

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Hi Gazza 1

I was recently deciding on what tyres to buy for my GQ , and although i had a good look at several muddies i bought an aggressive allterain in the Maxxis Razr 811 and they work very well for me as would many other good brands including the Falken and Yokohama that are mentioned above

I dont warrant the need for muddies as i try to avoid mud and on the black top they are noisier and dont' handle and brake as good especially in the wet and wear faster but they do make a 4wd look tougher when wearing them , and there isn't too many places i want to go that a good all terrain wont take me in better steering comfort

A tyre retailer told me years ago that when buying tyres , to choose a tyre from a category in the required performance level from well known tyre manufacturers and then negotiate the best price , I looked at the Toyo , Falken and Cooper AT's and bought the Maxxis's as they were the best offered price for what i wanted but would have been quite content with any of the others

PS I've got BFG KO2 on my 2016 lifted Pajero and i cant fault them either

Cheers
Interesting the different experiences with the same tyre. I've just fitted my second set of BFG KO2's, the first set achieved almost 90,000k after doing many outback trips in various and sometimes miserable conditions, after almost 400,000k in the old girl they were the best tyre I had used in sand and gravel, they handled the wet very well, I'm not a big mud runner these days but what I did do they came through OK, AND, they were quiet, so based on that as well as looking around at others I went with the BFG KO2 TA again.

Also Interesting, a mate of mine with a different 4x4 with 18" rims, completely different chassis/suspension setup who fitted his a few months after I fitted my first set had the same experience as myself with one exception, noise and quite loud after they bedded in, this got me researching again before committing to another set and it appears the lower the profile of the tyre and different suspension/chassis setups have an impact on noise.

Just to add, while the old set were still on, quite a few changes were made to the old Trol dramatically increasing torque at low revs, I found that when doing a roundabout if I hit the loud pedal in the wet I could make the back step out very easily ;), I'm not going to blame tyres for that lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts